NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, guys. Considering buying a inter cooler, lot of people suggested. Anyone has the CVF race IC? How is its worth? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored

crimsonshade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost mustang, 1993 LX mustang 5.0
I have the CVfab street inter cooler and it works great. Install was simple and price was good. I cant imagine the race would be much different other than better performance due to larger volume so it will resist heat soak even better. I can say that the temp difference between stock and street is night and day. Street stays 2-3 degrees above ambient vs stock which would climb like crazy. Is it worth it. IMO street definitely is, race not sure as I haven't looked at the price.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, guys. Considering buying a inter cooler, lot of people suggested. Anyone has the CVF race IC? How is its worth? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.
CVF race intercooler is one of the best out there, go for it!
I would never recommend the street version or any stock location intercooler, in fact several of those that have first bought the street version or stock location intercoolers have upgraded to the race version.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
guess it depends on your hp goals, what add ons you intend on doing. depending on how far north you are in NY you are close to being as far north as i am in minneapolis. if you're in a less populated area the street might be enough, if you're in NYC and sit in a lot of traffic a larger one with more thermal mass wouldnt hurt. i went with the cvf street since i dont live down south, but i havent installed it yet

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The CVF race intercooler wasn't on the market when I purchased my Vortech race intercooler at the recommendation of the speed shop that I have do some of my upgrade installs. If I had waited for the CVF I definitely would have gone that route. The Vortech cost a bloody fortune, although it does come with it's own charge pipes which fit perfectly. If I were the OP I definitely would go with the CVF. I bought the CVF downpipe and the build quality is amazing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the CVfab street inter cooler and it works great. Install was simple and price was good. I cant imagine the race would be much different other than better performance due to larger volume so it will resist heat soak even better. I can say that the temp difference between stock and street is night and day. Street stays 2-3 degrees above ambient vs stock which would climb like crazy. Is it worth it. IMO street definitely is, race not sure as I haven't looked at the price.
Yeah, swapping out stock one for sure.

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
CVF race intercooler is one of the best out there, go for it!
I would never recommend the street version or any stock location intercooler, in fact several of those that have first bought the street version or stock location intercoolers have upgraded to the race version.
I see, thanks for the suggestion! You don't suppose there will be more turbo-lag for bigger ic right? The feel of some one kicked my butt while I'm in mid-corner looking for traction is not fun...

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
guess it depends on your hp goals, what add ons you intend on doing. depending on how far north you are in NY you are close to being as far north as i am in minneapolis. if you're in a less populated area the street might be enough, if you're in NYC and sit in a lot of traffic a larger one with more thermal mass wouldnt hurt. i went with the cvf street since i dont live down south, but i havent installed it yet
Up state ny. Might want to hit a track soon, until I get a tuner... (I'm late in the game)

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The CVF race intercooler wasn't on the market when I purchased my Vortech race intercooler at the recommendation of the speed shop that I have do some of my upgrade installs. If I had waited for the CVF I definitely would have gone that route. The Vortech cost a bloody fortune, although it does come with it's own charge pipes which fit perfectly. If I were the OP I definitely would go with the CVF. I bought the CVF downpipe and the build quality is amazing.
Yeah, heard a LOT of good reviews on cvf. Might just go for it.
Just curious, did you try to run the down pipe with stock tune?
and is your one catted?
I'm looking at the catted one as well, price is certainly mouth watering, it'll be best is it can run with out a tune (for like a month...)

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I see, thanks for the suggestion! You don't suppose there will be more turbo-lag for bigger ic right? The feel of some one kicked my butt while I'm in mid-corner looking for traction is not fun...

Not that you’ll notice, twin scroll and EBC really mitigate the effects of a larger IC.

Sponsored

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
One hundred percent get the race, Ive had it for a few weeks and the temps are amazing. Easy install too! @cvf-jason is a pleasure to work with and very helpful so I think its a no-brainer!

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not that you’ll notice, twin scroll and EBC really mitigate the effects of a larger IC.
Ok, thanks. Seems like I'll just go straight to it.

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One hundred percent get the race, Ive had it for a few weeks and the temps are amazing. Easy install too! @cvf-jason is a pleasure to work with and very helpful so I think its a no-brainer!
Nice to hear, you have to take the front bumper off to install it right?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Nice to hear, you have to take the front bumper off to install it right?
Yes, there are plenty of Youtube videos of IC installs. Some of them rather entertaining.

Also, yes i got the catted downtube and I have no tune yet. I'm waiting until all my engine and chassis mods are done and I'm closer to the warranty running out then I'll do a custom tune.