Sponsored

Need advice with which route to go.

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Hello, I am thinking of either go bolt-on or get Roush stage 1/Whipple stage 1 supercharger on my 2017 Mustang GT. I wish I can go with Roush or Whipple, but what concerns me is the reliability and money. I heard that OPG and CG are must do when going FI. Will my engine be safe and nothing to worry about when they are done? If there is more stuff I need to do for protection, how much will it totally cost? Except for regular supercharger oil change? I am not looking for crazy power(wishing around 600), mostly daily driving, no track either. Would be great if I can get some real advice. I really want power, but I probably will not be able to afford much once the car goes wrong, or engine blows up.
Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like the FRPP packs are for you then, warranty coverage and some extra power.

Mira

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miroslav
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
Hi,

I am going through very similar decision process myself. Wanting something around 550HP WHP , being still reliable and not willing to spend any extra $ on repairs because of my mods (I don't have an issue with initial costs though).

I would like to get Whipple, because it is not so common as Roush here in Europe, but it's more expensive and gets me above those 550HP as easily as Roush. I kind of put aside the NA route as it doesn't get me easily to my goals + I don't rev the car much + I don't go to track so I don't care about the added weight.

Because I don't rev the car I don't even care about OPG and CG even if I go FI.

I would be really interrested in stories of you who have gone through this already and seeing how happy you are with your decision...:cool:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i bought a used GT with a Roush phase 1 kit on it and extended warranty. power has been good i have heard the roush rune is weak but i figure better than NA while i reinforce the drive train and such. no issues though, my feeling on the OPG and CS depend on certain factors of how hard and how high you push the motor. but as most will say its for piece of mind. plenty of people pushing 700+whp with stockers though

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Another thing to consider is the BAP's that come with the higher HP kits.

I've seen several people post of their boost-a-pumps causing the stock fuel pump to go bad prematurely.

The Ford Racing/Roush Stage 1 (670 hp) does NOT need a BAP. The Stage 2 does as do all other options as far as I know.

Personally, I'd go with Stage 1 and skip the BAP and OPG/TG ... don't track the car so it rarely sees high rev's.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
you can't go wrong either way,

really comes down to budget, and driving style.

feel free to give me a ring, we can discuss your goals,

beef
513-478-1965

Matt@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lethal Performance
Hello, I am thinking of either go bolt-on or get Roush stage 1/Whipple stage 1 supercharger on my 2017 Mustang GT. I wish I can go with Roush or Whipple, but what concerns me is the reliability and money. I heard that OPG and CG are must do when going FI. Will my engine be safe and nothing to worry about when they are done? If there is more stuff I need to do for protection, how much will it totally cost? Except for regular supercharger oil change? I am not looking for crazy power(wishing around 600), mostly daily driving, no track either. Would be great if I can get some real advice. I really want power, but I probably will not be able to afford much once the car goes wrong, or engine blows up.
Thank you.
If you are not chasing numbers, the Stage 1 Whipple kit would suit you well. It's an extremely well put together kit, and the components and supplied tune from Whipple works great. Most stock cars will put down low 600's and the drivability would be fine for the Street. We always recommend OPG and CS for any Forced Induction application, but if you don't plan on revving your car to the moon, you could probably get away with it for a while. Give me a call if you would like to discuss some options, we're here to help. We'll have a ton of sales coming up for Black Friday and our 12 Days of Christmas promotion, so it would be the time if that's an option for you.

Matt

Matt@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lethal Performance
Hi,

I am going through very similar decision process myself. Wanting something around 550HP WHP , being still reliable and not willing to spend any extra $ on repairs because of my mods (I don't have an issue with initial costs though).

I would like to get Whipple, because it is not so common as Roush here in Europe, but it's more expensive and gets me above those 550HP as easily as Roush. I kind of put aside the NA route as it doesn't get me easily to my goals + I don't rev the car much + I don't go to track so I don't care about the added weight.

Because I don't rev the car I don't even care about OPG and CG even if I go FI.

I would be really interrested in stories of you who have gone through this already and seeing how happy you are with your decision...:cool:
Whipple Stage 1 kit would be perfect! We ship Worldwide, so getting it to you in Europe wouldn't be a problem. Shoot me a message if you would like to discuss some options!

Matt

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
After owning much faster turbo cars for the past 20 years and the associated maintenance/headaches, I was looking for a power adder for this car that would look good and would be low maintenance/drama. I went with the Roush phase 2 through beefcake with upgraded CG/OPG because I like the "factory" look of the Roush kit and the phase 2 gives me some headroom. Terry is great to talk to about your goals and help you make up your mind. Understand the Roush is not the most powerful or cheapest kit, but it looks good and satisfies all my expectations. If you see yourself eventually climbing the horsepower ladder the Roush may not be the best kit for you. Oh, and no matter which kit you buy plan on new wheels/tires or you will be driving on ice every day.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
After owning much faster turbo cars for the past 20 years and the associated maintenance/headaches, I was looking for a power adder for this car that would look good and would be low maintenance/drama. I went with the Roush phase 2 through beefcake with upgraded CG/OPG because I like the "factory" look of the Roush kit and the phase 2 gives me some headroom. Terry is great to talk to about your goals and help you make up your mind. Understand the Roush is not the most powerful or cheapest kit, but it looks good and satisfies all my expectations. If you see yourself eventually climbing the horsepower ladder the Roush may not be the best kit for you. Oh, and no matter which kit you buy plan on new wheels/tires or you will be driving on ice every day.
thanks for the kind words sir!

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've been chewing on the same question all for the last couple months. For me it comes down to this:
Did my Lund tune/Steeda intake make a noticeable difference it power? Yes!
Did it have me giggling like a little girl? No

Now I can still do headers, maybe even someday a flex fuel tune but it will be more of the same. The would be nice improvements but likely still leave me wanting.

So my plan is to attack this in stages:
1. Do the Whipple stage 2 kit, and keep the RPM's down for the time being. The stage 1 Whipple kit just doesn't make a ton of sense when you really look at it. I'll do this work myself.

2. Bring it in for OPG/CG, clutch. At that point I'll be able to unleash the RPM

3. If I feel like the car needs more I'll get a custom tune and the fuel system mods to support it. This would be down the line.

This will allow me to spread out the cost a bit, keep me occupied, and keep the motor relatively safe.

racered_ppGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i too am in the same situation lol i want to go vortech though and am only aiming for ~650whp, but i plan to daily mine on my 75 mile round trip commute so well see how that one plays out :ninja:

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Gonna be hard to beat the Gen 3 Whipple setup. Just an all around awesome kit. I don't think there's a nicer more well put together system on the market.

However if money is an issue then one of the Centrifugal packages we offer will give you a nice increase in power at a slightly more affordable price.

Just to let you know we offer financing from Affirm in case you're interested. This way you could possibly get into the kit you wanted to even if you don't have all of the cash up front.

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime and we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks!

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
Please dont take this the wrong way....

But if you are concerned with doing the proper supporting mods and worried about them costing to much then stay away from forced induction. They are a must for longevity, I even dove into forced induction without knowing everything. Now im aware that im about 10k cash away from where I would be comfortable with giving my car a beating...

I suggest you put a exhaust, intake, tune, D.R's and call it a day. car will be a blast

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i beat my car any time i feel like it.. its under warranty. but if you want to go with something other than an authorized roush install then its might be good to take precautions.
Sponsored