Need advice on my suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by krishelnino, May 4, 2020.

1. Brian@BMVK

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT
    0   0   0
    Only thing I wouldn't do is the diff bushings. Unless you are drag racing there's no need.

Bluemustang and krishelnino like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

krishelnino Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I'll most likely skip those. Do you by any chance have the link for spreadsheet comparing different swaybar stiffness rates ? I saw it somewhere yesterday but can't seem to find it again

3. bnightstar

bnightstar Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Hristofor
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    My understanding for sway bars after ton of reading is that you just buy 1 front sway bar and call it a day as most of them are identical. I will go with Steeda as this is the easier one to source for me and also it has 4 adjustments..

4. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah, when i did my initial suspension i didn't do enough research and bought the whole FP track kit instead of just the shocks/struts. I just want to compare the FP front bar (36.5mm) with BMR (35mm) in terms of stiffness. The FP one only has 2 adjustments

5. bnightstar

First Name:
    Hristofor
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Just stick with the FP one for now and if the car is Oversteering after the change think about different bar. Don't think you need more stiffness upfront if you are going with higher rate springs.

6. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah right, my concern is if I'd be having too much bar front and rear after doing the SP083 springs, hence i was thinking about swapping them out. The FP rear one is also 25mm compared to GT350 and OEM PP at 22mm.

7. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
    Garage Profiles:
    Software Engineer
    0   0   0
    unless you're just wed to keeping the factory rubbers hanging around I suggest the Whiteline replacements instead. The diff doesn't sing unlike with the 'sandwich' solutions.

krishelnino likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks, i'll take a look at those. Since i'd be swapping the diff, might be easier to do them at the same time :)

9. Bluemustang

Bluemustang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Base GT
    Financial
    0   0   0
    IMO the big rear bar is not great for this car. I don't see a need for it. You can use it as a tuning aid, but as you go bigger you lose ultimate grip potential. And it seems to be contrary to the car's attributes being front heavy (and heavy overall), RWD and big power. Rear traction is at a premium. You can make the car oversteer if you provoke it enough anyways. Getting the most power down coming out of corners is critical.

The sway bar plays the role of increasing roll resistance but it does so with a byproduct of making your independent suspension less "independent".

Also, consider tires in your equation. As you increase roll resistance either by springs or bars, (or combination thereof) your tires will become the weak link. A more responsive and grippy tire will actually make use of that upgraded suspension.

Hack and krishelnino like this.
  10. Bluemustang

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Base GT
    Financial
    0   0   0
    I say keep the FP rear bar once you upgrade to the SP083s. Try it out. I think you'll see what I'm talking about it. Later on you could still try the PP bar and then you'll feel the change, understanding what it does.

11. Bluemustang

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Base GT
    Financial
    0   0   0
    The FP track front spring is pretty much the same rate as the BMR front. It's about 240 lb/in if I recall. Not enough for him to even feel.

I don't know the exact specs of the FP track rear spring, but I know it is a dual rate. I believe the high rate portion is 914 lb/in. Based on my experience and the change in balance after swapping to the SP083 980 lb/in rear spring, I'm pretty sure the initial rate portion of the FP has to be pretty soft. This could explain why this works on the Ford Performance track kit, which has the larger rear bar.

It's also important to realize the Ford Performance track is OEM basically, so the intent had to be increased performance over stock, as well to be marketed to a wide range of individuals. And whoever designed it also injected their preferences. And it also doesn't have subframe lockouts or other rear suspension mods many owners do. It had to be a good package right out of the box, and it is. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon for the enthusiastic user who wants a bit more.

12. bnightstar

First Name:
    Hristofor
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    My post was regarding the front sway bar from FP track pack I don't think if he switch to BMR083 he also need to buy another front bar that was my point. From rates perspective it's obvious that the BMR is better spring especially because it's linear spring instead of progressive which will make it much more predictable on the road.

13. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Wider wheels/tires are next on my list. i'm already way over my budget for this year ;) Since i'm doing the diff swap and shifter, i thought it would be best to take care of the suspension at the same time since it would save a lot on labor costs and down time (mine is a DD). I'm planning on getting a 2nd set of wider square wheel setup 19x11 and 305 summer tires next year. I'll have that set dedicated for track days and summer weekends

Bluemustang likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    krishelnino

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I wish i could experiment a little bit. However since this is my only car and due to my work schedule plus the shop being closed on weekends, i'd like to avoid the hassle of going back and forth. I'm not comfortable working on the suspension by myself so i always have a shop do it. Hence i'm just considering the combinations that worked well for you, BMacIL and many others.

Even if the FP front springs are identical in rates compared to BMR SP083, but they're still progressive and not linear right ?

The FP bars are unknown commodity, i've searched around but couldn't find any bar stiffness rates to compare against. If they were available i could compare against the BMR to see what difference they could make.

I've found this nice chart made by Brian
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/sway-bars.119344/page-3#post-2503192

15. Bluemustang

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Base GT
    Financial
    0   0   0
    Good idea. Yeah, it gets expensive man lol. I hear ya. Just got a set like that for myself.

Front spring is linear. Rear is a progressive dual rate. The main differences to the SP083 is you're getting a stiffer, linear rate rear spring. And also they will reduce your ride height drop is a little bit, which is good IMO.

In the event that you can't test or don't want to mess with it again, using the FP front bar and PP rear is your best bet to a balanced car. A pretty good bet IMO.

krishelnino likes this.