Sponsored

Mysterious Paint Damage

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Most likely rock chips, yes.

Phoenix. Any chance your car was caught up in one of the dust storms in that area?

Here during the winter, we can have some violent weather fronts come through. High winds; they pick the sand up providing traction on the road surface and can have a sand blasting effect.

To the landscapers, they're really good here at sending materials from the street, driveway and yard directly into a garage; they've got that down pat. :lipssealed: I think that's how they get rid of the clippings. :facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
One needs to be careful about travelling around or thru construction and road work sites.
The grinding of concrete can creat a dust consisting of tiny blade like concrete slivers.
These babies can be somewhat hard to see but will stick to a paint surface like glue - a bit hard to see, but easy to feel.

I know this to be true because it has happened to friends of mine over the years.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@SpicyDuckSushiHut

That looks like impact damage / rock chips to me :frown:

How long have you had the car ? (from new ?), what mileage is on it and has it been painted, particularly on the front bumper cover ?

WD :like:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's definitely chips from highway driving, no doubt at all. The Ford paint sucks and this has been a major complaint from all S550 owners since their inception. Mustangs prior to the S550 have much better and thicker paint layers. You could take an older Mustang and place it next to an S550 with the same miles (say hypothetically 20k miles), and the S550's paint will look beat to shit....

S197's with 50k-100k don't even show as much highway paint damage than an S550 with even 10k on it....

Cutting and buffing at this stage will not remove any such damage. Yes it may remove the spider webbing seen in the clear in some of those images, but will not and cannot remove chip damage. That chip damage is below the clear and below the paint; the "white" you're seeing is the primer level and if deep enough, it could be as low as the metal on body/hood or at the urethane level on parts like the bumper cover.

The only way to try to correct that is to use Dr. Colorchip and/or the method in the @DFB5.0 post above. Aside from those typical DIY's, the only other option is to go to a local reputable body shop and ask what they can do to correct the concern.

After it's been corrected then sure, using protective films will be best option. But laying down PPF now over the chips shouldn't even be a consideration - it's too late and would be a total waste of $$$.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I have gotten stuck behind those type of vehicles occasionally, I am just shocked that it would cause that much damage. On the alternative, there are landscapers at my complex that leafblow the carports when cars are parked in them. Wondering if this happened to me :(

Any idea how to fix this?
I hate the guys with the leaf blowers. They are the worst.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I hate the guys with the leaf blowers. They are the worst.
As a professional, all I can say is that is poor technique and/or laziness. Trust me, I hate it too.

There is a way to use a leaf blower that doesn't just move debris from one area to another. If a landscaper doesn't know how to do this, then they are simply wasting time. I actually find it baffling that blowing grass of leaf debris into the street is a) someone thinks that this is efficient work technique and b) acceptable!

Maybe I care too much about how I leave a property after I'm finished?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
As a professional, all I can say is that is poor technique and/or laziness.

Maybe I care too much about how I leave a property after I'm finished?
Poor technique. Some using the tools are not given good training or clear instruction.

From your detailing results, I have no doubt. My area has had really good teams come through some years. Others, not so good. If the economy is doing really well and business owners are struggling to keep talent, teams are often inexperienced and rushed.

BTW, any luck finding gold nuggets when out on jobs? Reads like they're almost as good as lying around and waiting to be picked up. :giggle:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65095925

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Most likely rock chips, yes.

Phoenix. Any chance your car was caught up in one of the dust storms in that area?

Here during the winter, we can have some violent weather fronts come through. High winds; they pick the sand up providing traction on the road surface and can have a sand blasting effect.

To the landscapers, they're really good here at sending materials from the street, driveway and yard directly into a garage; they've got that down pat. :lipssealed: I think that's how they get rid of the clippings. :facepalm:
And sand, rocks and other fallen debris that gets jet propelled toward your vehicle by some idiot.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I have to agree with Deyon...rock chips from highway miles. That said, I presume this car has never been polished with an electric polisher. I've screwed up and lifted the polisher before it was dry (more times than I would care to admit,) and I wind up slinging polish that looks a lot like the photos. But, being down low where the rocks live, it is almost certainly chips.
Sponsored