Sponsored

MY18 REVIEWS: The thread to put the press/owner reviews of MY18

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Ain't that a kicker? I mean, there should be room for all the pony cars here and they would, I think in RHD, be successful. The LHD bit - and to me, the dealer network, is the put off. I don't much care where the steering wheel is but having a good, solid, dealer network is important.
I have a LHD car, and have had plenty previously. I just tend to avoid multi-storys (which I do in the Mustang as well!).

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Several people within GM have stated specifically that they have a commitment to the UK. They sold Opel and Vauxhall because they weren't profitable, and they're refocusing their efforts on their core models. Cadillac I know will be throwing as slew of new RHD models at the UK. Dan Ammann (GM president) has stated as much at the Geneva Show last year.

Cadillac is on GM’s radar for Australia, with the US luxury brand confirming that if a push into Europe – and in particular the UK – paid off, it could be here within the next four years. [...] “Once you’ve entered the UK market, well obviously you’ve just unlocked the first big hurdle to entry into some of the right-hand-drive markets; Japan, Australia, South Africa,” he said.
Al Oppenheiser (chief Camaro engineer) also stated quite explicitly that it all depends on both the UK and Australia. If they think it'll work in both territories, they'll build them for both territories.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several people within GM have stated specifically that they have a commitment to the UK. Cadillac I know will be throwing as slew of new RHD models at the UK. Dan Ammann (GM president) has stated as much.

Al Oppenheiser (chief Camaro engineer) also stated quite explicitly that it all depends on both the UK and Australia. If they think it'll work in both territories, they'll build them for both territories.
Bring it on, then. I'll buy a Camaro in RHD tomorrow (tomorrow being a long time away, and with express permission from my lovely wife!).

That said, I expressed interest for the 5th Gen in 2009... and I'm still waiting ;)

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Err... no. I mean, yes, the Camaro is being converted to RHD in Australia, but we ain't getting it.
Correct, for gen 6 Camaro. I read that the 7th gen will be RHD, which surely means a UK version? Seen photos recently of a "2019 Camaro", not sure if that's the 7th gen?

What was this thread about again?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
GM need to try, their sales are not particular nice reading, they seem in decline and a RHD Camaro would probably help them big time if they can price it similar to Mustang as its a superb car with increadible chassis, the chassis is actually superior to the Mustang, nicer balanced car. Problem for Camaro is the interior even in top trim level is appalling and not a match for the Mustang, not even close and the high shut lines do make visibility poorer.

I think a RHD Camaro would sell quite well, I'd say Corvette too but that will be priced quite high, no doubt around 75-100k and that puts it right in top spec Merc, Porsche, Jaguar and even used Aston/Ferrari territory and I guess in Europe/UK at those prices most people won't pay that kind of money for a plastic car no matter how gorgeous the Corvette is and how well it goes. Plus with the UK car manufacturers really upping the competition now, new Aston V8 Vantage is quite the masterpiece and used Mclaren prices coming down welll I'd take the Brit over a Corvette, so can't see them selling enough Vettes in RHD to make the cost involved for making one worthwhile, Camaro however would definetely sell well.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, for gen 6 Camaro. I read that the 7th gen will be RHD, which surely means a UK version? Seen photos recently of a "2019 Camaro", not sure if that's the 7th gen?

What was this thread about again?
5th was supposed to be; then 6th... and now 7th.

The 2019 car is a 6th Gen with a broken nose. Awful refresh :(

So, for now, I'd err that a RHD car is years away at best, if ever.

BTW, most of this came from RHD cars based on the same platform; VXR8. So, the work was mostly done, just not for the Camaro.

Yes, anyway, miles off piste here. Sorry.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

BTW, most of this came from RHD cars based on the same platform; VXR8. So, the work was mostly done, just not for the Camaro.

The work was actually done for the 5th gen Camaro in RHD. Tooling was complete. They abandoned it because of the global recession.

But yes, lets get back on track :lol:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

The rumour for RHD Camaro has been 2020/2021 for past couple of years, I guess this maybe coincides with a 7th gen launch Camaro.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my own personal review on it's looks...

Honestly, its a car you have to see in the flesh, I'm convinced on my initial perceptions, I think it's a very very well put together car, it looks really nice, HOWEVER I don't think it screams "mustang". The back end does look a bit strange without a spoiler on as the whole backend has an "upward" arch and would definitely suit a spoiler of some sort to round it off.
Rear lights are gorgeous.
Top grille looks awesome, but bottom grille needs to be gloss black too
forged wheels style is nice, but, they look silly in silver on OF.
The centre tunnel retrimmed is lovely.
Wheel looks a lot bulkier
lights I really don't like the gap under them, not sure what about it, it's weird
Vents really suit it
It sits lower that's for sure, as you look down on the vents, they're pretty mean
It's sleeker that's for sure, take that as you will.
Orange fury is a nice colour; It suits itself more under bright light as it pops like CRAZY, under the canpoe outside, it was a bit dull and lacking life (car had rain waterspots all over it as well so that could have been it).
The two punters in the showroom (I was there at 9am) both preferred the My17 than the My18 in orange.

Overall, it's nice, it's more "sports car" now than it is a big bulky muscle car.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
^agree will all these points.

I also went to see one in the metal last Saturday...

mustang18of1.jpg

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Saw a new red Camaro in central London today, looks and sounds great.

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
Overall, it's nice, it's more "sports car" now than it is a big bulky muscle car.
Forum first - I agree with Manders! :doh: :thumbsup:

I've been lucky enough to see it several times at international shows long before it arrived in the UK and whilst photos don't really do it justice, in the metal (to me) it's lost the 'muscle' of the the first S550.

The new toys and extra power have some appeal, but you pay a heck of a premium for them!

Happy I made the decision to stick with mine, even if the decision not to sell has cost me about 6 grand in the last 6 months due to inevitable depreciation. Still, that's not the point. Determined to get some decent wheel time in the car this year to use it as much as possible. Thankfully sun looks as if it's finally ready to come out and road temperatures mean the Pirellis have a bit more grip than the Bakelite performance in the winter.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Got my first glimpse today too! Drove past a orange fury on my way in to the dealership, and at a glance it matches up to all the photos - no change in my view of it.

However, up close - it does indeed look nicer in the metal, talking about the front end here. That front quarter under the headlights looks real aggressive, you can really appreciate the subtle angles and lines when you are up close and personal.
Headlights themselves are a work of art IMO

Also thought the new gloss grill looked particularly good - had a pleasant curve to it, a bit more prominent that the 17s, seems a bit shallower too.

It was great to see the wheels wrapped in Michelins. The wrapped centre console was a bit meh for me, i know a lot fuss over it but I feel i only noticed it because I was looking for it, and i had to look twice!

I didn’t get to see the digital dash but it does look exciting, the bezel is a different shape and you just know there’s a real cool peice of kit there. Love my tech so i think i would like it, but very happy with my “old schoold” dash :cool:

The quad exhaust looks exciting too! In the showroom was a kona blue (i think) which was very nice, had the chrome window trim/wheels. I’m funny with blue cars - they just don’t appeal, but i can imagine it being a very polular colour.

Oh, and orange fury in the flesh - holy moly thats a pretty sight! Again, not one for me, but a real show stopper.
Sponsored