Sponsored

My decklid paint is cracking, is this normal?

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have never paid close attention to the decklid panel, because I don’t expect to see anything but some swirls marks.

Then when I was waxing my car today, this caught eyes.

Is this a known issue that the dealership will take care of under warranty? Or will they say this is just a normal wear and tear?

The car is 7 months old at 6k miles, of which 1.3k was from 12-hr drive from CO to CA, and it’s mostly parked in the garage for 23 hours a day. (Work is less than 0.5 miles away from home)

46152ED5-EEAB-4CC4-8A62-D7193F21C988.jpeg
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Not normal. This is what the paint warranty is for.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Not normal. This is what the paint warranty is for.
Thank you. I will definitely bring this to the local dealership soon.
Also, I feel that the paintjob on Mustangs isn’t the best. Rock chips here and there even though I drive like a grandpa..

Deleted member 35644

If that's your trunk panel, they'll just replace it. Looks like a manufacturing defect just below the surface of the plastic.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The trunk panel is not painted. It is high-gloss plastic with an affinity to accumulate scratches. Cracking has been reported by some owners. Take it in and get it replaced under warranty.

Sponsored

Melty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I had this issue as well. Called the dealership, they took pictures to send to Ford who approved it for warranty and replaced it for me. Took them about 2 days to get the part in and it took them about an hour to replace it. Didn't cost me anything but gas to the dealership.

RCOLEMAN545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018. Mine cracked the same way. Bad batch I suppose.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you. I will definitely bring this to the local dealership soon.
Also, I feel that the paintjob on Mustangs isn’t the best. Rock chips here and there even though I drive like a grandpa..
I don't know a lot about paint but from research I've done some manufacturer's use different hardness paints from others. It's said that European cars use a really hard paint and that most American made cars use a softer paint. The 2018 I bought had a bunch of little rock chips on the front bumper cover and on the hood. The first thing I did when bought my 19 was have 3 layers of ceramic put on the car with a 4th layer put on the front bumper cover, hood and mirrors.

The research I did said there are good and bad to both hardness levels of paint. The harder paints are harder to compound and polish out swirls and scratches but were less likely to occur with the harder paint and the inverse was true with softer paints. Again I'm by far no expert just what i learned through research.

Deleted member 35644

Probably has something to do with EPA regulating out the components that made paint more impact-resistant. Europe may have no such rules and can therefore use paint that stays on the car.

My next new car will either get a clear bra, or I may go back to the black vinyl bras if clear bras continue into the stratosphere with their pricing. The number of rock chips on my car with 16,000 miles is ridiculous.
Sponsored