My complicated relationship with the clay bar

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So I won't be here long and apologize for clickbaiting but... I HATE the clay bar.

For endless time the thought has been that black cars are hardest to keep clean.

I would volunteer that it is actually WHITE cars that are hardest to keep clean.

I washed my white 2019 Ram a couple days ago and discovered a field of tar spots from headlight to taillight.

Affter 4 hours with the clay bar, the finish is ready for CQuartz 3.0. My shoulders are aching and every spot required its own rub.

Make no mistake: There is no easy recovery from tar spots. Goo-gone, isopropanol alcohol, and tar remover had NO effect. It's clay bar, elbow grease, hunker down and work like they did in they 1950's.

I hate the clay bar. But love the results.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Sometimes, only a traditional clay bar will get the job done. But yes, I hate using them too.

I will say that newer styles of clay treatments are more user friendly for mild to moderate contamination. I'm also keen to try the new TRC Ultra Clay Scrubber -

Ultra Clay Scrubber | The Rag Company

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Would have been easier to just sell it.
I actually have been considering selling it and getting something in burgundy or silver. Didn't really want white from the get-go but had to buy something quick and now am kicking myself for settling instead of being patient and getting what I wanted.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
You really should try an iron remover spray. Wash your vehicle, get a quality iron remover spray and spray it all over the vehicle. Let it dwell for 5 mins, you will see it start to turn purple where the contamination is. Wash it again with a clean mitt. It really cuts down on the clay barring. Your shoulders will thank you.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You really should try an iron remover spray. Wash your vehicle, get a quality iron remover spray and spray it all over the vehicle. Let it dwell for 5 mins, you will see it start to turn purple where the contamination is. Wash it again with a clean mitt. It really cuts down on the clay barring. Your shoulders will thank you.
Crap. I have some but didn't think it would make a difference on the tar. Maybe I'll hit it before ceramic just to see what bleeds out.

Sponsored

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
It may not help with the tar, but it should loosen it up a lil. But you will be amazed how much iron gets embedded into white (any color really) paint. Give this a whirl before you start ceramic coating, you will be very glad you did. Paint correction is the BIGGEST part of ceramic coating.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Crap. I have some but didn't think it would make a difference on the tar. Maybe I'll hit it before ceramic just to see what bleeds out.
Iron-X done. Got a little purple out, mainly on the hood. Dries much faster than I expected. Annoyingly hard to rinse out of crevices, like edges of emblems. Also it smells awful. Eraser then ceramic today.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Iron-X done. Got a little purple out, mainly on the hood. Dries much faster than I expected. Annoyingly hard to rinse out of crevices, like edges of emblems. Also it smells awful. Eraser then ceramic today.
Best way to rinse with an iron remover is to remove the water hose nozzle and just let it rain down over everything. It works so much better. It does smell horrible, I will admit. But the product works well. I do it twice a year on my vehicles that get driven all the time and once on my Mustang. Whether I think they need it or not.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes