Sponsored

Mustang v Camaro

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I have noticed, that even though you can buy a Camaro for the same/similar money as Mustang in Germany, Mustang totally dominates sales there. I wonder if Camaro was available here, how that would look. Of course, i highly doubt, Camaro will ever go factory RHD.
Sponsored

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
I cant remember where, but I do recall reading an article recently that HSV has got the rights to import the Camaro here and they will do the RHD conversion and sell it for around the 100K price tag, possibly as of next year.

If this is the case, I would dare say all the Holden Fan Boys will be straight on to them as I dont think they like having their limelight taken away from them, especially when its a little 5.0 Pony

OP
OP

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I cant remember where, but I do recall reading an article recently that HSV has got the rights to import the Camaro here and they will do the RHD conversion and sell it for around the 100K price tag, possibly as of next year.

If this is the case, I would dare say all the Holden Fan Boys will be straight on to them as I dont think they like having their limelight taken away from them, especially when its a little 5.0 Pony
$100k for a non-factory RHD Camaro? Need rocks in your head, or to much drug money. I had a new Camaro rental in the states recently. Great fun to drive. But that interior is cheap and nasty. Makes Mustang look good inside.

OP
OP

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I have read this before. Lets face it, HSV are desperate, now that VF is coming to it's end. A shame really. But totally understandable. How many desperate GM diehards are going to part with $100k for a SS Camaro (non Factory RHD), even if the Mustang wasn't $60K? Camaro SS would be a great bus to, at $60-$70K.
I've always wanted a Mustang but the massive price of the ones sold here new and converted to RHD ($120 - $180k) always put me off a they were a US$30k car at the time.

I'll be a little surprised if they do the Camaro for $100k, I'd bet on closer to $120k and that'll put off a lot of people that would otherwise buy a factory RHD one here at the same price point at the Mustang. They're just not worth that sort of money.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Plenty of Holden/GM fans would want them, but the price tag will be a barrier along with availabilty. Non-brand committed buyers are going to go for the cheaper Mustang, especially when used prices inevitably crash further.

It would be good to see Camaros arrive to continue the Ford v GM rivalry, hopefully on the race track too, either GT4, Supercars or both.

I got a wave back from a late generation Camaro owner earlier in the year, so it might add to the USA muscle car community if more arrive.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I've always wanted a Mustang but the massive price of the ones sold here new and converted to RHD ($120 - $180k) always put me off a they were a US$30k car at the time.

I'll be a little surprised if they do the Camaro for $100k, I'd bet on closer to $120k and that'll put off a lot of people that would otherwise buy a factory RHD one here at the same price point at the Mustang. They're just not worth that sort of money.
Due to our market generally being priced a fair bit higher than the states, Mustangs is very good value here, considering it's a solid 3/4 spec car. Of course, current discounts make it an absolute bargain now. When i put down deposit, on my GT Vert in 2014 (price unknown), i was willing to pay up to $80k. Vert is approx $7-8k extra over H/top auto, on road. When my car came in at just over $70k on road (pre-price rise), i was pleasantly surprised. My dealer principal said, at the time, that Ford priced Mustang to cheap by $10k or so. I wonder what his thought's are now that he's nearly giving them away.:headbonk:

OP
OP

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Plenty of Holden/GM fans would want them, but the price tag will be a barrier along with availabilty. Non-brand committed buyers are going to go for the cheaper Mustang, especially when used prices inevitably crash further.

It would be good to see Camaros arrive to continue the Ford v GM rivalry, hopefully on the race track too, either GT4, Supercars or both.

I got a wave back from a late generation Camaro owner earlier in the year, so it might add to the USA muscle car community if more arrive.
It would be great to have factory RHD Camaro's, Vette's, Challenger's available here at realistic prices. Of course, economic reality will never allow this to happen. If only AUS was LHD!:shrug:

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
HSV are doing the right hand drive conversion and it is close to happening. They have had a couple of yellow ones around at local car gatherings for a while checking interest.

Apparently they are trying to price under $90K to keep it reasonably close to the Mustang. Obviously a conversion won't be as good as a factory right hand drive with footwell space being an issues. I say good on them at least those GM diehards can stop buying Mustangs.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
HSV are doing the right hand drive conversion and it is close to happening. They have had a couple of yellow ones around at local car gatherings for a while checking interest.

Apparently they are trying to price under $90K to keep it reasonably close to the Mustang. Obviously a conversion won't be as good as a factory right hand drive with footwell space being an issues. I say good on them at least those GM diehards can stop buying Mustangs.
For them to keep price under $90k for a SS, GM has to nearly give them Camaro's. Even in the states, a Camaro is a few grand more than a MY17 Stang. We are talking very low volume, high cost per vehicle. Profit margin, needs to be large. A pink elephant, if ever i saw one. Remember, 15 years ago, i think Tickford converted Mustangs for Ford and they where $80k or so. We all know what happened there. HSV Colorado anyone? lol Sadly, HSV, like Holden will become mostly irrelevant :frusty:

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
I have noticed, that even though you can buy a Camaro for the same/similar money as Mustang in Germany, Mustang totally dominates sales there. I wonder if Camaro was available here, how that would look. Of course, i highly doubt, Camaro will ever go factory RHD.
I reckon Chrysler missed the opportunity to have the Challenger here, way before the RHD Mustang was even thought of.
The Challenger is supposed to be on the platform as the Chrysler 300 , so RHD was possible.
I know I would have Considered a Challenger, had it been available a few years back.
Maybe the Chrysler bean counters had market information to show it wasn't viable.
Probably the same market info that Ford had, that Australia only wanted something like 400 Mustangs a year :shrug:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
So like when are 1 of you mates going to go give Rini Brugel a ride in yer GT ..
He 's a real holden guy and needs to be cheered up a bit .. he lives in lallor park by the way ..

Cheers mates .

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
It would be great to have factory RHD Camaro's, Vette's, Challenger's available here at realistic prices. Of course, economic reality will never allow this to happen. If only AUS was LHD!:shrug:
Ford was able to make a case for it, but maybe Camaro doesn't have the universal worldwide appeal that Mustang has.

It seems LHD Camaros are available in the UK already, which would make the case for doing a RHD version less winnable:
https://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/camaro/

RubyVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Maggie the GT...
There's a write up about it the latest wheels/motor mag, says that the Camaro will share the 10 speed auto that's coming in the '18 stang.
Good comparo of the mustang tuners out there too.

Cheers

J
Sponsored