Sponsored

Mustang making loud tic noises coming near the top.

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I have a 2018 mustang gt and I've had the annoying engine tic noises and the 2k engine rattle for over 4 years now. But this new tic noise seems to be different. This noise seems to be coming from the top and its very loud. Also it isn't fast like the traditional engine tic everyone else is having.

Does this seem normal? I just don't want to take it to the dealership and them have my car for 2 weeks just to tell me its normal afterwards.

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
That sounds terrible. It sounds like my old 2v, id get it looked at.

Sounds like chain adjusters to me.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes probably VCT related. There's a lot of threads on here about the VCTs.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
So I took it into the dealership and the issue was a bad vct solenoid like mentioned above. Now they're telling me its not covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm still under the 5 years and the car only has 19k miles on it. Why would it not be under the powertrain warranty?

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
FYI. I just had the VCT Solenoid repaired under the 5 year power train warranty. If you need any help with the actual service that was done. I have all of the details in a similar post. Look up my account. You may want to find a better dealer. First dealer I spoke to told me to bugger off about the noise. So I made sure the spot I bought from were the ones to finally take care of me. Because they were a better operation.

It was a sticking exhaust side VCT solenoid. That when I would park and accelerate to 2k and let off the gas. You could hear from the solenoids a slight sound. This was caused by a sticking of the plunger in it. You should be able remove the power to the solenoid and the sound disappears.

My tech worked very hard for me to get this approved and escalated by Ford Service. He had to wait a week to just hear back from them. But he pulled brand new cars and engines and showed that on some that sound was found. And that there was possible missed oil pressure not passing through during the sticking.

I have the tech notes. But the dudes writting was terrible. So It takes a good bit of reading to figure out.

This is a warranty fix for sure. So if they refuse, tell them you have friends with the same engine and issue that were covered under the power train warranty. I even have the extended warranty that didn't have to be used for this.

Butter them up by also doing a preventive maintenance service with the warranty work. Techs always find the warranty issues when I purchase side services to butter up the pot. Had a 2012 civic si with the squeaky clutch bearing they ignored until I added a break service to my car. And bada bing! They could replicate the squeak.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That's the typerwriter tick. Normal. Highly doubt it's a bad vct solenoid. Put some thicker oil in it, 5w30, and it makes it less audible.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
FYI. I just had the VCT Solenoid repaired under the 5 year power train warranty. If you need any help with the actual service that was done. I have all of the details in a similar post. Look up my account. You may want to find a better dealer. First dealer I spoke to told me to bugger off about the noise. So I made sure the spot I bought from were the ones to finally take care of me. Because they were a better operation.

It was a sticking exhaust side VCT solenoid. That when I would park and accelerate to 2k and let off the gas. You could hear from the solenoids a slight sound. This was caused by a sticking of the plunger in it. You should be able remove the power to the solenoid and the sound disappears.

My tech worked very hard for me to get this approved and escalated by Ford Service. He had to wait a week to just hear back from them. But he pulled brand new cars and engines and showed that on some that sound was found. And that there was possible missed oil pressure not passing through during the sticking.

I have the tech notes. But the dudes writting was terrible. So It takes a good bit of reading to figure out.

This is a warranty fix for sure. So if they refuse, tell them you have friends with the same engine and issue that were covered under the power train warranty. I even have the extended warranty that didn't have to be used for this.

Butter them up by also doing a preventive maintenance service with the warranty work. Techs always find the warranty issues when I purchase side services to butter up the pot. Had a 2012 civic si with the squeaky clutch bearing they ignored until I added a break service to my car. And bada bing! They could replicate the squeak.

They ended up warranting it out for me. The lady is new to her job and didn't know the engine is covered under the powertrain warranty. Glad that it's settled. What noise did yours make? Because mine makes a chain rattle noise every time you rev up and let go of the peddle. Did swapping the exhaust side solenoid get rid of the noise for you? Mine makes a sound just like this.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
That's the typerwriter tick. Normal. Highly doubt it's a bad vct solenoid. Put some thicker oil in it, 5w30, and it makes it less audible.
I've had 5w30 since I've gotten the car. I have the typewriter tic as well and that noise wasn't it. It comes from a completely different area. The dealership swapping the vct solenoid completely got rid of that noise from my video.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
They ended up warranting it out for me. The lady is new to her job and didn't know the engine is covered under the powertrain warranty. Glad that it's settled. What noise did yours make? Because mine makes a chain rattle noise every time you rev up and let go of the peddle. Did swapping the exhaust side solenoid get rid of the noise for you? Mine makes a sound just like this.

This is exactly that sound. What is happening is the Exhaust solenoid is sticking and causing a issue on the cam timing from the ECU side of things. What you can do to confirm this. Is to simply disconnect the solenoid. If you perform the same action and the sound is gone. That will confirm it. That's what my tech did. He was a great tech. Even came in on the weekend to finish work up on the car.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
This is exactly that sound. What is happening is the Exhaust solenoid is sticking and causing a issue on the cam timing from the ECU side of things. What you can do to confirm this. Is to simply disconnect the solenoid. If you perform the same action and the sound is gone. That will confirm it. That's what my tech did. He was a great tech. Even came in on the weekend to finish work up on the car.
I had someone rev the engine for me and found out the noise comes not just from the driver side head, but the passenger side one too. I didn't disconnect the solenoid but I did put my hand around it and I can feel the noise coming out of it, same on the other side too. The noise isn't in sync either, sometimes its just from one side then sometimes its both sides. I'll take it back to the dealership and have them take a look at it too.

Edit: Just noticed the new solenoid replaced on the passenger side of my car is a HL3Z-6M280-A which is also the same solenoid used to replace yours. Mine is making that same noise on the passenger side as well even with that new solenoid. Maybe it is a normal characteristic of these engines.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had someone rev the engine for me and found out the noise comes not just from the driver side head, but the passenger side one too. I didn't disconnect the solenoid but I did put my hand around it and I can feel the noise coming out of it, same on the other side too. The noise isn't in sync either, sometimes its just from one side then sometimes its both sides. I'll take it back to the dealership and have them take a look at it too.

Edit: Just noticed the new solenoid replaced on the passenger side of my car is a HL3Z-6M280-A which is also the same solenoid used to replace yours. Mine is making that same noise on the passenger side as well even with that new solenoid. Maybe it is a normal characteristic of these engines.
FYI. I had both sides replaced.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

AND I still get a slighttttest little sound but compared to the original sound it dispurses immediately compared to what would go one for much longer. I can't tell ya enough how much different the car feels now with pulls and low throttle coasting. The ECU just feels it out and the shifts on the A10 are much much better now.
Sponsored