Mustang MagneRide deep dive

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tech help please. How do I know if my car has MagnaRide? Is it on the build plate or something? Yeah. I haven’t looked under it.
Look for a bright yellow sticker on the strut body or shock body. Magneride struts and shocks have these stickers.

Also, on the rear shocks, look at the upper shock mounts. The Magneride shocks will have a wire on the top that passes through the shock mount.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Lmao, it’s the GT350 sub forum.... all 2018 GT350s have MR... only ones in here talking about not having MR are non GT350 owners

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Okay, so @Walt Kowalski, @kz, and @rucus0101 - guys, you're in the GT350 section. 100% of GT350's after MY2016 have Magneride. You're welcome to all the help and support the GT350 community can offer, but if you're asking about a car that's not a GT350, please indicate that so we can respond accordingly.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Okay, so @Walt Kowalski, @kz, and @rucus0101 - guys, you're in the GT350 section. 100% of GT350's after MY2016 have Magneride. You're welcome to all the help and support the GT350 community can offer, but if you're asking about a car that's not a GT350, please indicate that so we can respond accordingly.
Thanks. I did not see we were talking about a GT

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Given all the noise about taking the link down, I searched and found/ read the article. Sheesh. If I'd written that, I'd want the link taken down, too. It's awful. Terrible writing, no useful technical info. Basically just says 15 different times that MagneRide is adjustable and they calibrate a bunch of parameters for the different selectable modes. It doesn't even get into the tech of how it adjusts damping (NOT "dampening," which the author managed to write a million times despite using the proper term "damper" for the shocks themselves - dampers damp, they don't dampen. Unless they're blown and leaking fluid, but that's different). They also don't get into WHAT changes in the different modes, specifically HOW the damping changes.

For example, in drag mode, the rear shocks stiffen, the front rebound softens to allow more weight transfer to enhance rear grip at launch. In track mode, they program high-speed and low-speed compression rates to vary based on loading, so for example, an inside front wheel in a corner (the unloaded wheel) has virtually no compression force so the tire can "float" over apex curbs. That is some cool stuff, and the author and his "inside source" apparently didn't know about it, or didn't bother to say anything about it. It also (like the Z28) has a "flight mode" that can detect if the car is airborne off a jump (can get off the ground between T4 & T5 at Grattan).

Crappy article. Crappy writing. But MagneRide IS pretty freakin' sweet and FP did a phenomenal job of tuning the system to make these cars go around corners like much, much lighter machines.

Sponsored

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
Sorry. It’s my 2020 Convertible. I’ll look under it when I get a chance. Thanks.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
When I bought my 2018 I was told there was no support for lowering the car with Magnaride so I opted out. I got a PP1 but knew I would most likely be altering the suspension at some point and didn't want to throw away $4k on Magnaride. I will be installing coil overs and new sway bars this summer for less than half that cost. Also it requires higher than base electronics to run it. I have a base GT, manual with a Whipple instead. Money well spent in my opinion. If I drove the car as a daily all year, I may have chosen differently. I joy ride in the summer and track it a bit.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Does anyone have any good links on the electronics/compute side of the Magneride system? Not the usual standard fair of it uses magnets and increases the viscosity of the oil. I'm more interested in the algorithms side of things how the system interprets the inputs from the various sensors and what decisions it makes etc

John

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Given all the noise about taking the link down, I searched and found/ read the article. Sheesh. If I'd written that, I'd want the link taken down, too. It's awful. Terrible writing, no useful technical info. Basically just says 15 different times that MagneRide is adjustable and they calibrate a bunch of parameters for the different selectable modes. It doesn't even get into the tech of how it adjusts damping (NOT "dampening," which the author managed to write a million times despite using the proper term "damper" for the shocks themselves - dampers damp, they don't dampen. Unless they're blown and leaking fluid, but that's different). They also don't get into WHAT changes in the different modes, specifically HOW the damping changes.

For example, in drag mode, the rear shocks stiffen, the front rebound softens to allow more weight transfer to enhance rear grip at launch. In track mode, they program high-speed and low-speed compression rates to vary based on loading, so for example, an inside front wheel in a corner (the unloaded wheel) has virtually no compression force so the tire can "float" over apex curbs. That is some cool stuff, and the author and his "inside source" apparently didn't know about it, or didn't bother to say anything about it. It also (like the Z28) has a "flight mode" that can detect if the car is airborne off a jump (can get off the ground between T4 & T5 at Grattan).

Crappy article. Crappy writing. But MagneRide IS pretty freakin' sweet and FP did a phenomenal job of tuning the system to make these cars go around corners like much, much lighter machines.
I think I had you for my English Comp classes throughout High School. :cwl:

Post of the month if you ask me. :clap:
Sponsored