Not open for further replies.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I've heard that the technology either already exists or is under development to deny cell service to the driver's seat without eliminating it from the entire car.

But that's not where the root of the problem lies. It's partly the belief that 24/7 availability and instant information access are always good things (they aren't) and partly an assumption that just because you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can combine driving with tasks that demand more mental attention than most people are willing to admit to.

The problem isn't the cars . . .

Norm
Just because the technology exists doesn't mean it can be implemented. Just like most things technology, someone will find a way to root or hack the system, only a matter of time. Root exists for a good amount of phones these days. You can pretty much do whatever you want with your phone with root.

Also, how would detection work to disable the driver's phone? GPS is accurate, but not that accurate. Plus, somebody could just turn GPS off. There are a lot of flaws in that plan of action. I don't see cell phone use in cars getting any better. Sure, if the phone is connected to your car like our Mustangs, but if the phone isn't connected, you are SOL.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Just because the technology exists doesn't mean it can be implemented. Just like most things technology, someone will find a way to root or hack the system, only a matter of time.

Also, how would detection work to disable the driver's phone? GPS is accurate, but not that accurate. Plus, somebody could just turn GPS off. There are a lot of flaws in that plan of action.
I have no idea how it might work (I was a structural engineer, not electronic/computer science/communications).

All I was doing was reporting on the existence of such an effort.

For me personally, it wouldn't matter in the slightest if any such technology came to pass. If I don't have a passenger to hand my phone off to, it might as well be turned off/out of battery/no signal/left at home, and I'll deal with whatever later.

Norm

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Just because the technology exists doesn't mean it can be implemented. Just like most things technology, someone will find a way to root or hack the system, only a matter of time. Root exists for a good amount of phones these days. You can pretty much do whatever you want with your phone with root.

Also, how would detection work to disable the driver's phone? GPS is accurate, but not that accurate. Plus, somebody could just turn GPS off. There are a lot of flaws in that plan of action. I don't see cell phone use in cars getting any better. Sure, if the phone is connected to your car like our Mustangs, but if the phone isn't connected, you are SOL.
Your assuming your phone dosnt track where you are all the time no matter what you have turned on or off. Even when its turned off you are being tracked. No foil hats here. GPS turned off, it will still track your time between cell tower pings to verify your moving at a specific speed, root or not thats just a function of any cell phone.

on a side note, a hybrid mustang is about as cool as a Prius .

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Better an uncool Mustang than a dead one.

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Talk about "beating the system" is nothing new. Ever since we've been told how to drive, we've been thinking up ways to bypass the regulations. Disabling seat belt alarms, cutting out cats, exhaust valves, front plate hiders, the list goes on.

Future autonomous tech will require a set of rules / regulations that we can't even fathom right now. Will humans find a way to bypass these rules and drive on the road "manually"? Absolutely. But consequences will exist. Just as we have distracted driving laws, OUI laws, noise laws, etc, there will be laws against driving your vehicle, or an autonomous vehicle that doesn't completely meet standards established by the NHA/DOT/IIHS.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Your assuming your phone dosnt track where you are all the time no matter what you have turned on or off. Even when its turned off you are being tracked. No foil hats here. GPS turned off, it will still track your time between cell tower pings to verify your moving at a specific speed, root or not thats just a function of any cell phone.

on a side note, a hybrid mustang is about as cool as a Prius .
No doubt they can track you without GPS on. Investigators have solved murders by pinging and triangulation. But that was just finding a location. What pinging and triangulation can't do YET is tell speed with accuracy. That's the issue. There is no possible way yet that you can tell the difference between a phone in the driver's seat and a phone in the passenger's seat by pinging or triangulation. Heck, GPS is usually not that accurate either.

Not sure why you are comparing a hybrid Mustang to a Prius. The Mustang, even in hybrid form, will be impressive. Would you call the new NSX "about as cool as a Prius?" I think not.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've heard that the technology either already exists or is under development to deny cell service to the driver's seat without eliminating it from the entire car.
If true, that will be "fixed" by the owner. Hands/eye free talking and hands/eye free texting is less dangerous than talking to a passenger and about as dangerous as listening to the radio as I have previously posted examples of why.

Now if someone says they are vehemently opposed to talking to a passenger or listening to the entertainment system and never ever do any of those than I can respect but disagree with their desire to ban ALL phone use.

The only problems with using a phone while driving are when you use your eyes or hands for that.

Sensors already exist to determine where eyes are pointed. Some cars already have sensors in the steering wheel to tell if hands are on it. I'd hate to pay for them just because other people are idiots, but preventing phone use unless eyes are on the road and hands are on the wheel wouldn't effect me in the least. I could still use my phone as I do now, with it always in my pocket or center console (if charging).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If true, that will be "fixed" by the owner. Hands/eye free talking and hands/eye free texting is less dangerous than talking to a passenger and about as dangerous as listening to the radio as I have previously posted examples of why.
Maybe . . . and then again maybe not. Talking with a real passenger puts two more eyes with some potential for looking ahead in the car, assuming it's a licensed driver you're talking to.

Hands/eye-free texting might as well be on another planet as far as I am concerned. Texting itself is a rather inefficient way to carry on a conversation.

Now if someone says they are vehemently opposed to talking to a passenger or listening to the entertainment system and never ever do any of those than I can respect but disagree with their desire to ban ALL phone use.
I'm not advocating the banning of all phone use in the car, but if the driver can't step away from his phone addiction by himself . . .

FWIW, I actually don't talk when I'm using the brakes, shifting, or turning a corner, or under uncertain traffic situations. It's not that hard to do.

The only problems with using a phone while driving are when you use your eyes or hands for that.
Wrong. The attention you give to your phone conversation comes out of what your driving should be getting in many (most?) situations. It's really that simple.

I'd hate to pay for them just because other people are idiots
So would I. Goes for all the other things we're stuck with because other people are idiots as well.

Norm

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wrong. The attention you give to your phone conversation comes out of what your driving should be getting in many (most?) situations. It's really that simple.
Which is why I said if someone agrees that talking to a passenger is just as bad or worse than hands/eye free texting or calling, I will respect their opinion but disagree.

I NEVER said texting or calling was not a distraction, I just correctly pointed out that it is less of a distraction than talking to a passenger or listening to the infotainment system. So anyone who opposes hands/eye free calling/texting because its a distraction but ever talks to a passenger is ignorant or a hypocrite. I have no idea what your opinion is.

Take texting compared to talking to a passenger: If your female SO passenger asks if what they wore yesterday made them look fat, your brain goes nearly 100% to the response. You can't hesitate, lest you appear to be thinking up a lie, yet you can't say the wrong thing either. If the SO texts you the same question, you can take minutes or hours to formulate the best answer because texting is by definition, not real-time.

Take a phone call compared to talking to a passenger: If your potential customer passenger asks if you think they should go with the "purple and green" version of your product, you will loose the sale when they see the obvious signs that you just threw up in your mouth a little. If they had called, they couldn't see that and you would make the sale, get the bonus and promotion.

Obvious ANYTHING is somewhat distracting. But anyone who says hands/eye free calling or texting is worse than talking to a passenger or listening to the infotainment system is wrong or a hypocrite.

BTW, I am not saying you fall into any category. I am talking in generalities.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think the lastest Information was that it's delayed to a launch in 2021, but I guess we just have to wait until the first Gen 7 mules will be spotted :D

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Yeah initially the G7 was supposed to come out in 2021 (MY 2022), then it was brought forward to 2020 and now a few weeks ago the targeted introduction date shifted back to March 2021.

So for now all we know for sure is that the facelift of G6 will last for at least 3 model years (2018, 2019 and 2020) and what happens then is anyone's guess. I would not be surprised if they end up adding one more model year to G6 and the G7 comes out as MY 2022.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.