Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Never selling my 2015 GT. Hybrids are a waist of space.

My suggestion to the old school guys such as myself is to start hitting the scrap yards and stocking up on V8 parts. Those parts are going to be worth thousands of dollars once the gov't starts flooding the country with battery operated crap. I'll take a carbureted engine over hybrid any day of the week. Why would anyone want a Mustang that sounds like a hamster running in a wheel is beyond me.
Because hybrids can be damn fast:
http://autoweek.com/article/24-hours-le-mans/porsche-919-hybrid-wins-le-mans-24-hours
I love the brutish, claymore effect of a gasoline powered V8 over the surgical hybrid but I won't ignore the performance potential that exists. The same arguments existed in the past, OH valve vs. flatheads, carbs vs. fuel injection, ecoboost I4 vs. V8. In the end the performance enthusiasts went for power over tradition and we all moved forward. Someday perhaps I'll have a hybrid pony in my stable. Someday perhaps but not today. :D
Sponsored

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

My suggestion to the old school guys such as myself is to start hitting the scrap yards and stocking up on V8 parts. Those parts are going to be worth thousands of dollars once the gov't starts flooding the country with battery operated crap. I'll take a carbureted engine over hybrid any day of the week. Why would anyone want a Mustang that sounds like a hamster running in a wheel is beyond me.
My brain hurts.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base

So ignorant. Do you understand what a hybrid system will do with respect to the Mustang?

It's waste by the way.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Because hybrids can be damn fast:
http://autoweek.com/article/24-hours-le-mans/porsche-919-hybrid-wins-le-mans-24-hours
I love the brutish, claymore effect of a gasoline powered V8 over the surgical hybrid but I won't ignore the performance potential that exists. The same arguments existed in the past, OH valve vs. flatheads, carbs vs. fuel injection, ecoboost I4 vs. V8. In the end the performance enthusiasts went for power over tradition and we all moved forward. Someday perhaps I'll have a hybrid pony in my stable. Someday perhaps but not today. :D
Not going to the level of GreenGuardian, but the 2015-2017 GT is already a very fast, capable car in its own right. There is far more to the automotive "experience" than just going fast(er). The feel of driving a powerful V8 through a manual transmission cannot be replicated by a hybrid with automatic/CVT if V8 + manual is your thing. I agree with you that the Hybrid system would be exhilarating in its own way, but the two are worlds apart. I personally am not interested in needing to be the fastest car on the road, only in having a pleasurable driving experience tailored to my tastes.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Its funny was chatting to a few neighbours and one asked me if he can hear the engine, so fired her up on the RS and carried on chatting, said about a hybrid Stang in 2021, and they said NO WAY, you might as well buy a Prius. They said you will lose the sound, what is the point
Now these are not really car people, but they were 100% def about the hybrid
Don't tell anyone, but what I heard is that Ford is taking the technology they used in the ecoboost to create fake sound in the cabin and putting it on the outside of the car!!!!

It is going to sound amazing!!!!

Best part, it is believed you will be able to select your sound... your car can go from a 4 to 6 to v8 to v12. Great technology. The v8 sound will be able to mimic several different muffler setups.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So ignorant. Do you understand what a hybrid system will do with respect to the Mustang?
Yes.

A risk of contaminating the Mustang's image. The damage would perhaps not be as severe as if the transverse-engine'd FWD Probe would have done, but I don't see it as being benign either.

Unlike the gradual evolution of IC engine tech, hybrid technology isn't being driven by enthusiasts. It's CAFE and its arbitrary demands, because without that this thread would not exist. A niche car like the Mustang is not the place for hybrid tech because the impact on fleet-wide mpg is minimal. Making a big investment for so little overall corporate gain is a politically-motivated decision, not an engineering or business one.

Norm

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Unlike the gradual evolution of IC engine tech, hybrid technology isn't being driven by enthusiasts. It's CAFE and its arbitrary demands, because without that this thread would not exist.
Yeah, owners of the Porsche 918, Ferrari LaFerrari, and McLaren P1 aren't enthusiasts at all.

Your mistake is thinking that hybrid technology can only be used for one objective: fuel economy.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Yes.

A risk of contaminating the Mustang's image. The damage would perhaps not be as severe as if the transverse-engine'd FWD Probe would have done, but I don't see it as being benign either.

Unlike the gradual evolution of IC engine tech, hybrid technology isn't being driven by enthusiasts. It's CAFE and its arbitrary demands, because without that this thread would not exist. A niche car like the Mustang is not the place for hybrid tech because the impact on fleet-wide mpg is minimal. Making a big investment for so little overall corporate gain is a politically-motivated decision, not an engineering or business one.

Norm
Norm i get it, it becomes difficult when your wants and desires stop fitting into the bulk of the market so decisions made don't reflect your core ideals, but your statements of fact which are at most based on strong opinions are inaccurate.

What you did accurately state is the mustang represents a niche market for ford, the volume is adequate but no where near the likes of F150, escape, explorer, focus etc etc. What you inaccurately state is that cafe standards are driving the decision to hybridize the mustang. Ford is fully capable of achieving cafe standards in 2020 with no change to the mustang platform. Cafe standards are not evaluated on a model by model basis, instead they can be balanced across all passenger vehicles. It is because the volume is small that the necessary platforms to improve are the large volume ones mentioned above. On top of that Ford has already announced several fully electric and autonomous vehicles further benefiting this calculation. Furthermore if Trump decides to remove or relax CAFE standards I can almost guarantee you will see no change in the decision to hybridize the mustang. Where you will see changes is on the volume models.

The decision to hybridize the mustang is being driven solely by consumer demand, as well as to begin to shift some of the old fashioned mindset about what performance in a vehicle means. Young people these days aren't putting up pictures of Boss 429 mustangs and V12 Ferraris on their wall (well most aren't) they are dreaming about 918's, P1's, Acura NSX's etc etc. Most will never be able to afford these cars, but like always in the automotive world, technology trickles down and Ford is bringing that concept and its benefits to the mustang. Not instead of a v8, but in addition to.

Please try to open your mind and take a more wholistic look at the situation and gain a better understanding of the market before you make judgements.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Yes.

Norm
I get it, I really do.

I also don't think people understand the benefit of sandwhiching a motor inbetween the engine and transmission. The vehicle can remain rwd, NA, V8, all of that and be better in every way. Heck, people don't actually understand what hybridization for performance even is! I'm not saying you're one of those people obviously.

Hybrid means Prius, it also means Porsche 918. A Nasty FPC V8 with hybrid motors. It's a work of art.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I get it, I really do.

I also don't think people understand the benefit of sandwhiching a motor inbetween the engine and transmission. The vehicle can remain rwd, NA, V8, all of that and be better in every way. Heck, people don't actually understand what hybridization for performance even is! I'm not saying you're one of those people obviously.

Hybrid means Prius, it also means Porsche 918. A Nasty FPC V8 with hybrid motors. It's a work of art.
Manufacturers like some of these CAFE regulations because they get an excuse for making the car more complicated and expensive. Meanwhile, real world fuel economy, emissions and long term waste/pollution aren't improved. Low information consumers don't realize that the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

I have no issue with hybrids as long as I don't have to pay for someone else's car in the form of discounts for those who buy them and there aren't any government regulations forcing me to buy a hybrid.

I'm still irritated by air bags. Massively expensive, heavy, a tendency to injure the very people they are meant to protect - and once again required by government regulations.

Life in the "information age".

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'm still irritated by air bags. Massively expensive, heavy, a tendency to injure the very people they are meant to protect - and once again required by government regulations.

Life in the "information age".
Yeah, you are definitely much more likely to die in a high speed accident if you don't have air bags, so I think that relatively minimal downside of having air bags might be worth it in this case.

How do you feel about seatbelts?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I never thought I'd see so much hybrid support on a Mustang forum. Like I realized months ago when this thread first started, there's two types of people in here. Those who love the sound and feel of a V8 and those who simply drive the V8 version because it's currently the fastest model. That latter group welcomes whatever performance improvements they can get, even if it means gradually morphing the car into a Tesla. Enjoy your 2.5 sec 0-60, fully electric and fully silent Mustang in 2025 or 2030. I'll still be enjoying my V8. :cheers:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, owners of the Porsche 918, Ferrari LaFerrari, and McLaren P1 aren't enthusiasts at all.

Your mistake is thinking that hybrid technology can only be used for one objective: fuel economy.
I don't think I will buy a hybrid Mustang but I think it's a smart move by Ford it will open up a all new market segment and bring in more buyers. And the cars mentioned above are a good example.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I never thought I'd see so much hybrid support on a Mustang forum. Like I realized months ago when this thread first started, there's two types of people in here. Those who love the sound and feel of a V8 and those who simply drive the V8 version because it's currently the fastest model. That latter group welcomes whatever performance improvements they can get, even if it means gradually morphing the car into a Tesla. Enjoy your 2.5 sec 0-60, fully electric and fully silent Mustang in 2025 or 2030. I'll still be enjoying my V8. :cheers:
When Mustang began 53 years ago it could any car that anyone wanted. A six cylinder econo car to full blow race car. Now Mustang will never be that car again but the hybrid will broaden Mustangs appeal not everyone buys a Mustang to go racing in.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.