bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The eco line actually made me laugh... by now im used to it’s bastard status. I personally love the car so ignorance is bliss.
Best 25k sports car out there!
Sponsored

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
So, how far are we from the next Gen, platform?
I think I'll wait for that new, lighter platform than buying the end of current gen.
Don't bet too much on lighter platform. Given how well Challengers are selling and how Ford is abandoning cars, except for the Mustang, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford leverages the Aviator/Explorer architecture for the next Mustang. Also, if they go electric or hybrid, batteries aren't light. The only way it gets lighter is if the next generation isn't "all new", but an evolution of the current design using higher strength steels and aluminum that Ford's engineers/accountants convinced the top brass is equal or cheaper to develop than Aviator/Explorer....but, as a year round Mustang driver in a snow belt state, I have to admit an awd 480-500 hp GT that doesn't weigh too much more than the current one would sound compelling...but they might kill the MT for something like that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't bet too much on lighter platform. Given how well Challengers are selling and how Ford is abandoning cars, except for the Mustang, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford leverages the Aviator/Explorer architecture for the next Mustang. Also, if they go electric or hybrid, batteries aren't light. The only way it gets lighter is if the next generation isn't "all new", but an evolution of the current design using higher strength steels and aluminum that Ford's engineers/accountants convinced the top brass is equal or cheaper to develop than Aviator/Explorer....but, as a year round Mustang driver in a snow belt state, I have to admit an awd 480-500 hp GT that doesn't weigh too much more than the current one would sound compelling...but they might kill the MT for something like that.
Agree that it will be unlikely for the Mustang to get significantly lighter. I hope it does, but I think the only way it will happen is if the larger engines go away. And I really don't want the V8s to go away. I'd rather have the car stay a little porky with a V8 than still big but slightly lighter with a turbo 4 or something. The only way I would welcome that sort of redesign is if the car got down to ~3,000 lbs with a 300-400 hp power plant. That would be awesome.

The BS government crash safety standards are another factor that prevents automakers from building lighter cars. Rather than requirements they should be options. It would be really great to buy a 3,200 lb Mustang with no air bags, reduced crush zone sizes, etc.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Wow. If they think that of the 2019 @ $50K, then the 15-17 was an absolute steal both new and used.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Agree, I feel that I got a super deal on my base GT for 30K back in August. It was a no brainer to buy the car.
Ye gods, WHAT?

That's less than I paid for my 2015 GT...
Sponsored