Mustang GT/Bullitt - Car & Driver 2019 10Best

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Mustang GT/Bullitt made Car & Driver 10Best for 2019.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25252134/10best-cars-2019/

Nice to see a little love for the Mustang/Bullitt.

Our 10Best Cars list of late has been stable—oops, we meant "a stable." Chevrolet's pony car, the Camaro, booked a stall between 2016 and 2018, while Ford's Mustang paid by the hour, its V-8 GT landing a brief 10Best stint after its 2015 redesign before ceding to the exotic Mustang Shelby GT350 for 2016 and 2017.

For 2019, the Mustang GT again makes hay, trampling into the spot vacated by the Camaro, whose transcendent chassis failed to prop up its awful outward visibility, practicality, and looks in the face of withering 10Best competition. Why now? Though eligible for 10Best last year, the updated-for--'18 Mustang wasn't available in time for testing. The GT350 was, thanks to its 2017 win, but failed to retain the award; its lack of changes rendered it ineligible this year.

bullitt-vert-inline-1543433366.jpg

We never did stop liking the Mustang's remastered mid-century look and modern performance. The GT's newly available MagneRide electronically adaptive shocks from the GT350, more powerful V-8, and two Performance packages edging it closer to the Shelby's track-worthiness push it over the finish line. The base EcoBoost four-cylinder engine remains unworthy of the rest of the Mustang and our 10Best list.

There are no asterisks needed for the Bullitt edition, Ford's nostalgia-soaked half-gallop between the GT and the Shelby GT350 that shares in the former's award for 2019. Highland Green paint (black also is available) and Torq Thrust–style wheels pay homage to a certain '68 Mustang GT390, while cohesive chassis tuning and the Shelby's larger throttle body unlocking an extra 20 horsepower from the Coyote V-8 elevate the package beyond retro fetishism. At 7000 rpm, where all of the Bullitt's 480 ponies gallop at once, the noise belted through the active exhaust is riveting enough to excuse the driver's McQueen cosplaying.
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Well it's about time. :)

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. C&D finally admits the poor visibility out of the Camero (sic) and it’s lack of daily usability and eliminated it.

They weren’t very kind about the ecoboost either.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
"The base EcoBoost four-cylinder engine remains unworthy of the rest of the Mustang"

Oof, that's got to bruise the EB guys' egos. I mean, I don't necessarily agree... I think if you look at the EB subjectively and forget that it's called "Mustang", it really is an excellent car. It just lives in the shadow of it's so-much-better V8 brother

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Nice concise writeup on the top cars. And well done Ford.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Magazine wins and losses dont mean much to me anymore. The rags are going to start hedging their bets. GM doesnt have alot of positive press lately. And the Camaro could very well be on the chopping block soon. So why not pick the car thats going to be around in 5 years. Its not like the car has changed any since it was introduced in 16. People didnt buy it then. Not buying it now. It also had the same visibility and small trunk. magazine's still need to sell ad space. Mustang will be around in 5 years to sell that space to. Camaro who knows???

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
You cannot beat the value on the 18/19 GT’s. Especially back in early summer when Ford was discounting the crap out of them. I do not see how GM and Dodge financially can keep producing their (version) pony cars into 2023...?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Magazine wins and losses dont mean much to me anymore. The rags are going to start hedging their bets. GM doesnt have alot of positive press lately. And the Camaro could very well be on the chopping block soon. So why not pick the car thats going to be around in 5 years. Its not like the car has changed any since it was introduced in 16. People didnt buy it then. Not buying it now. It also had the same visibility and small trunk. magazine's still need to sell ad space. Mustang will be around in 5 years to sell that space to. Camaro who knows???
So very true in the December 2014 issue of CD they had a truly glowing write up on the Mustang the Mustang was the best car ever then when the 16 camaro came out the Mustang was a steaming pile of sh t.

Last edited:

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You cannot beat the value on the 18/19 GT’s. Especially back in early summer when Ford was discounting the crap out of them. I do not see how GM and Dodge financially can keep producing their (version) pony cars into 2023...?
Agree, I feel that I got a super deal on my base GT for 30K back in August. It was a no brainer to buy the car. Part of the deal was trading in my 2017 Camaro RS for it. While I loved the stellar looks of the Camaro, it was not easy to drive- the seating position and visibility definitely are way better in the Mustang. If you own and drive a Camaro every day you don't realize it and get used to it. It's not until you drive the Camaro for a while, then drive the Mustang for a while on a variety of roads- especially the highway where you notice the major difference and how much easier the Mustang is to drive every day.

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
It seems that R&T disagrees with general motors-trend. How ridiculous for MT to not appreciate the Mustang GT more in an era of SUV dominated roads. I'm thankful that I can still buy a great machine like the Mustang!

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
The eco line actually made me laugh... by now im used to it’s bastard status. I personally love the car so ignorance is bliss.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
So, how far are we from the next Gen, platform?
I think I'll wait for that new, lighter platform than buying the end of current gen.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase