Sponsored

Mustang choices

FastbackFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mustang yet
Hi,

my interest in the new Mustang is getting more and more serious now, but there are some points I am not sure about at all. Clear is that I would be going for a Fastback GT in EURO-Spec.

First unclear thing is the transmission: Manual or automatic? I know it is a topic that can be discussed thoroughly without getting the ultimate answer, but discussing this with myself has not lead me anywhere so far:D. I'll to try list the pros and cons from my point of view:

pro manual:
- saves me 2000€
- gives you a more direct connection to the powertrain which in my opinion is more accurate for a sporty car with 400+ hp
- will not outdate within the next few years, I guess when Ford releases a 8 or 10 speed-Automatic no one would like to buy an oudated 6-speed automatic anymore

pro automatic:
- let's you cruise effortless
- sets a counterpoint to my daily which is a manual
- has lower fuel consumption and lower taxes (at least according to european fuel ratings, no idea if this will be realistic)
- gives you that lovely kick in the back when hitting the kick-down (unfortunately it revs a little too quick due to the short gear spread, at least in the MY2013 I testdrove)
- no mechanical issues known so far in opposite to the 6-Speed manual in MY2011+ S197

The next thing I am not sure about is the color. I like vivid colors, so black, white, silver, grey and guard are not an option at all. Race red, ruby red, triple yellow, competition orange and deep impact blue remain as choice.

As first I had seen TY on the exposition car at geneva and really fell in love with it, but of course light was very artificial. I've heard people saying it looks quite different in daylight. The EU-Spec Mustang will have white/clear taillights, I can't imagine that complementing at the moment. And Ford wants 1300€ extra for that color which I think is audacious (that's about three times as much as you pay in the US and almost twice as much as they want for metallic paints). Not to mention it is only combineable with a totally black interior which I also dislike.

So I thought about CO which also is an impressive color, but it is also very exotic and am a little afraid I will be fed up with it after a year or two.

Then there is race red - a nice sporty color which I liked on the S197, but on most of pictures with the S550, I did not like it that much. Besides that my daily driver has a very similar color and I don't need to have two red cars.

Than there a are DIB and RubyRed both of which I have already seen in person. I would prefer DIB over RubyRed, though I would prefer a brighter blue with less purple in it (I love grabber blue for example).

So any opinions, pictures or personal impressions helping me with my decision would be appreciated:thumbsup:.

Fastbackfan
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with Manual and Yellow.

My car is manual and white. I love it. Of course I'm biased.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd go auto and Deep Impact Blue.

We're not really helping, are we :D

OP
OP

FastbackFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mustang yet
I'd go auto and Deep Impact Blue.

We're not really helping, are we :D
Nope, not really:D. Maybe you would if you'd explain your choice so I could reconcile it with my pros and cons:shrug:.

BTW: I had the chance to take a seat in 2015 GT Premium with black leather interior. I noticed an intrusive smell that reminded me of the floor cover department of a home improvement store. Is that normal? Or is that the smell of the vinyl which I think covers parts of the seats with 401A package?

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
Race red is beautiful in person. I got a race red 5.0

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Those euro tails will compliment DIB better than any of the other high impact choices.

It's really all preference. I wouldn't listen to what anyone tells you here. People say Guard looks boring here and I'd like to tell them they're blind, so just go with your gut instinct. You'll be happy with anything you end up getting.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I've seen DIB on both a '15 and '13MY and it's gorgeous. I've had a number of blue cars, and it just really suits the '15. It's classy. Ingot silver would be my other choice as it shows off those sexy bodylines.

As for the auto? Having now driven autos as daily drivers for over 5 years now, I just prefer that driving style. My S197 is a manual and it just seems hard work. Good fun when you're going for it, but I tend to just cruise in my Mustang. The 6 speed auto is fine and I'm sure the paddles will make it fun when you want a bit more interaction.

I'm sure the new 10-speed auto will make the 6-speed seem like a dinosaur, but we're still at least 18months (at a guess) before we see it.

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I'll ad my .02 about color. I too was skeptical about my color choice. Comp. orange is very loud and was worried I'd be over it quickly. After 3 months of ownership, I'm still very pleased with my decision. Yes, it's "exotic". Yes, it's vibrant. Yes, it stands out in a crowd, but I also feel that it fits this car very well. It's not like driving an orange Dodge Dart, or SRT-4. There level of refinement in the S550 is complimented by the louder color. It's like the car is saying "yeah, I'm classy and grown up, but I can still do a keg stand". I saw TY in person, and quite honestly, that was a bit too bright for me. Compo was just right! I'm a little biased though.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Those euro tails will compliment DIB better than any of the other high impact choices.

It's really all preference. I wouldn't listen to what anyone tells you here. People say Guard looks boring here and I'd like to tell them they're blind, so just go with your gut instinct. You'll be happy with anything you end up getting.
Guard is a bloody brilliant color, but I'm partial to murdered out cars :D

OP
OP

FastbackFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mustang yet
In the meantime I had the opportunity to see 2015 Mustangs in race red and competition orange. So finally, from all of these colors and impressions I got, I would prefer DIB. CO is a nice color and it gives the Mustang much more presence than many of the other colors, but it didn't give me that 'WOW'. And you have to know orange in germany is the color for municipal services cars and garbage collector cars, so there is always a little unfavorable connotation (unless it is an authentic 70s classic)...:D.

Unfortunately, I still did not have a chance to see triple yellow in daylight, so I am still a little uncertain. I like blue cars, but DIB is actually a little to dark and purple for my taste:tsk:. And finally I just read about that rumor here stating that in MY 2016 grabber blue will be available again which I think is a nicer color. But on the other hand, I think Fords color palette for the Mustang in general is a little boring. Why don't they come up with some completely new colors:rant:?

Regarding transmission I am currently prefering manual, the automatic is nice, but actually I found it a little boring during my testride. So if they really solved the mechanical issues on the manual, I'd enjoy saving those 2000 bucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Speed Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX w/ IRS
Since you've ruled out comp orange, I'd say DIB or race red. I do not like yellow on anything. With race red, in direct sunlight some of the flat panels will appear orange, which I absolutely love. My Saleen was done in D3 race red and she was a neck breaker in the sunlight.
For transmission, I would only choose the auto for 2 situations: You'll be stuck in traffic A LOT, or it's going to be a dedicated track beast (mostly). Auto's are too boring for spirited driving IMO. Get an MGW shifter, poly engine and transmission mounts (and a nice bolstered seat for your body size) and you're all set for a surreal experience!!
Lastly, I don't agree with your comment about boring color choices. I think they did a great job with the 2015 color choices.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to color. Just kidding - Ruby red is the correct answer!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Other than what u already said I say auto trans for remote start and bigger pool of potential resale buyers. Less and less ppl are learning how to drive manual

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I can safely say you will never get bored of CO. Honestly, I had a grabber blue 14 and while I loved the color (and always got complements from other people everywhere I went) I just did not love it like I thought I did. CO is just so sexy, I cant even find the words to describe it, heck any color on the 15's is awesome, the car is just that good.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Manual and Guard or White.

Unless you spend a lot of time in France and you want the car to blend in to the crowd.
Sponsored