1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Just tested it...you have to keep spinning the end part until the leaking stops, it's kind of hard to do. I then ran the compressor to get back the lost air but of course more came out during the removal unspinning. So if you over inflate by several pounds you should be okay. It was nice that the gage lit up, just in case you need it at night. What's not nice is the plastic end part could get cross threaded easily.
When I got my car I insisted on the spare kit only to realize later the tire is undersized. I would not use the spare on the rear for more than a mile personally. A larger spare tire would fix that issue.
This is good information. I was looking at buying a spare tire for mine, because I just personally think, a car should have one. I wasn't aware that the one provided by Ford was smaller in diameter. Would you happen to know what the spare tire size is?
Sponsored

AZFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401a GT/PP
I'm not sure what the fuss is about the portable tire repair kit. It worked great for me last week. You do have to ensure you fully engage the nozzle to where the air stops leaking.

My suggestion:

1. Put it on all the way.
2. Turn it to "air" and enable. Make sure air is going into the tire and not leaking.
3. Turn it over to "repair" and let the smelly white goo go into the tire.
4. Turn it back over to "air" at some point. I waited until the pressure went to 30 PSI.
5. Wait until the tire pressure reads 40 before you turn it off and disconnect. I monitored mine through the dash gauge. Its handy. There is a 3-5 second delay.

I drove the car to the dealership and they patched the tire for $33 with tax 4 days later. Not bad. I never had to remove the tire.
Just did this exact thing last weekend and the kit saved my ass. Had a nice slice in the tire and I was surprised when the sealant actually did it's job. The only mistake I made was trusting the pressure gauge on the compressor. At 35 PSI indicated, it was really 26psi. I parked the car until Discount Tire could get in another Indy 500 for me. During that time, it only lost a couple PSI.

Now that I have a compressor and no sealant, I'm thinking I'll just buy a plug kit and some slime as a backup. I don't want to deal with paying $50 for another sealant kit to go back into the housing.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
This is good information. I was looking at buying a spare tire for mine, because I just personally think, a car should have one. I wasn't aware that the one provided by Ford was smaller in diameter. Would you happen to know what the spare tire size is?
155/60/18 = 25.3 x 6.1, so use repair kit instead of spare or swap to front. I now have a full size spare wheel and tire, just like the other 4 so no more worries. Yeah, it sticks up a bit, but covered with a black towel you can hardly tell.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I use the compressor all the time, it is pretty hard to get working properly the first time though. You have to really tighten it further than you think it needs to stop the leakage, i actually had blisters on my fingers after the first time. They eventually loosened up and now it's easier to get them on and off, although i typically lose 4 psi in the time it takes to get them off.

The compressor that came with my 2014 mustang went on and off much easier, I'm not sure why they changed to this more difficult to use version.
Sponsored