Sponsored

Mods to run 11.50ET 0n 92 Octain Fuel

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
I was told after market CAI was a waste of money?
It seems to be a very controversial topic but i disagree. I currently have the MAP intake on mine. My intake air temps are lower than they were with the oem intake and throttle response has increased not to mention the sound is better and my mpg has gone up. I believe some intake are a waste but the MAP is definitely worth it. It also might not do as much on a stock car but once other supporting mods have been done, they all work hand in hand. I also think people have a misconception that since it doesnt increase hp substantially that it isnt beneficial. Lower temps will help to maintain your power and not pull timing and cause as much heat soak and also better throttle response makes for a quicker acceleration. Even though qucik acceleration is not shown on a dyno (just like changing your rear gear ratio) it can drastically drop your 1/4 mile times like the gears do so its all things to take into account.
JDM is also starting to work with some ecoboost stangs as well as my own soon and have tuned a few so far and we are seeing great results. Anyone interested in either a mail tune or dyno tune contact me, you wont regret it!
Sponsored

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
From what I've heard from Adam [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION] , nothing yet has been able to match the stock airbox in terms of HP.

OP
OP

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
its going to take a lot more than an upgraded turbo and tune to run mid 11's. Weight will need to be shed and the biggest factor is driver. You have to know how to drive the car and come out of the hole properly with a mean 60 foot. If you are inexperienced at the track you can have 500 wheel horsepower and still run in the 13's. I have seen it happen countless times. Also a bigger turbo will come with an upgraded downpipe and suck anyway so the exhaust is going to have to be changed. Either way driving and tires is the biggest way to get your times down.
My Ecoboost is a auto with 3:55 gears with a set of drag radials.It should be easy to dial in my 60 foot with a good track.I will run my mustang at Woodburn Raceway in Woodburn,OR and it is one of the best NHRA 1/4 mile tracks in the country(all concrete).

Last edited:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
My Ecoboost is a auto with 3:55 gears with a set of drag radials.It should be easy to dial in my 60 foot with a good track.
Who will be tuning the car ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Who will be tuning the car ?
This is my first Ecoboost,but I have raced a Buick Grand National,Shelby Gt500 and a SVT Terminator Mustang with a Kenne Bell Supercharger and Jon Lund has always tuned my cars.All these cars were 10 second cars.

Last edited:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
This is my first Ecoboost,but I have raced a Buick Grand National,Shelby Gt500 and a SVT Mustang and Jon Lund has always tuned my cars.
Jon is great, just wanted to ask ahead of time cause it will take a heck of a tuner to do it. I think it can be done, but like Pewtercam said, use methonol injection as well. Jon is only gonna be able to get so aggressive with the tune on 92 octane, but if you use the methonol injection, the octane as you know will raise substantially, and I think you can get there. I basically started with 91 and have worked my way up in octane all the way to E85, octane is king, Jon will preach that you gotta have it to go fast. I believe I could run very very low 12s at about 112 mph when I mixed my fuel to 93 octane and had methanol injection, this was with the stock turbo, and my car is very heavy, then it was 3785 with me in it. My 1st recommendation would be to not even move forward without a Meth injection kit with your ET goal. If you dont wanna do that, your gonna have to raise the octane somehow by mixing in race fuel, or a booster. You can easily creep down to your ET goal by adding octane, and Jon will slowly get more aggressive with the tune, but ive been down your road, and I think it would be safer just to accept that you need to somehow put a bit more octane in the car from the start.

OP
OP

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Jon is great, just wanted to ask ahead of time cause it will take a heck of a tuner to do it. I think it can be done, but like Pewtercam said, use methonol injection as well. Jon is only gonna be able to get so aggressive with the tune on 92 octane, but if you use the methonol injection, the octane as you know will raise substantially, and I think you can get there. I basically started with 91 and have worked my way up in octane all the way to E85, octane is king, Jon will preach that you gotta have it to go fast. I believe I could run very very low 12s at about 112 mph when I mixed my fuel to 93 octane and had methanol injection, this was with the stock turbo, and my car is very heavy, then it was 3785 with me in it. My 1st recommendation would be to not even move forward without a Meth injection kit with your ET goal. If you dont wanna do that, your gonna have to raise the octane somehow by mixing in race fuel, or a booster. You can easily creep down to your ET goal by adding octane, and Jon will slowly get more aggressive with the tune, but ive been down your road, and I think it would be safer just to accept that you need to somehow put a bit more octane in the car from the start.
Thanks for the information!What is involved in running E85 and do they make a E85 fuel pump?

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Thanks for the information!What is involved in running E85 and do they make a E85 fuel pump?
Im not sure if anyone will eve make the HPFP, or get it into production, the only alternative is an AUX fuel kit. I use the speed performance kit, which I really like, but Jon hates the split second controller, though he has it mastered already, he still hates it. So really you jut have to by an AUX fuel kit. I also later bought the drop in tank bucket from Vargas that I later realized I really needed, the stock in tank pump was not quite cutting it as far as fuel flow. I would chat with Jon at Lund before I did anything on the E85, id buy what he wants you to buy as far a as controller, he will be the one tuning it, so keep him happy. If I was gonna start my ecoboost adventure all over, the 1st thing id do is convert the car to E85, like I said before, and Jon preaches to me, octane is king, if you wanna have a fast car, and keep it safe, you gotta have octane.

Sponsored

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
0% chance of doing this on stock intake and exhaust unless you take a sawzall to half the vehicle
Ummm not really

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Livernois did 11.7 on a stock car (removed exhaust, slicks, minor weight reduction) tuned to the limit on MS109 fuel. So that octane is a huge benefit.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Has any member used 100 octane unleaded race gas?
Yeah, I've used both Sunoco and VP unleaded race gases (all 100 octane or higher). It goes like a stabbed rat on those fuels.
Sponsored