Mods on Active Exhaust?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Here’s what I did to add sound and performance to my 2019 Bullitt. I retained active the exhaust, added catted LTHs and a Steeda X-pipe.

What did the car dyno?

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
With the EcoBoost and Active Exhaust, there is only one part that is upgradable. Replace the downpipe with a better flow thru design like the CVF model. It is the only part that does not involve a lot of expense. Other than doing that, you cannot improve the exhaust flow enough to make a performance difference without also doing major engine changes. If the only issue is the sound, you will find nothing that makes it growl like a V8. The CVF downpipe is a good choice, but like most downpipes, you will need an exhaust sensor extension.

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
For anyone interested this is a cold start and idle down on my 2020 HPP with AE and CVF catted downpipe....normal mode. Since this video I've swapped to the NX2 turbo and it's a bit louder. Ford already sends the car out with a Y pipe.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
Got this figured out. Looks like a Roush y pipe is the ticket. Something tells me I'll put one on whether I need it or not. Thanks again.
I am waiting for my car to be deliver also. That Y pipe is designed to replace the resonator in cars without Active Exhaust. From my understanding our cars don't come with the resonator so that Y pipe won't do anything for us. However a 3" downpipe with a 3" into two 2.25" Y pipe might wake it up for you. The manual car I drove with Active Exhaust had enough snap, crackle and pop to put a smile on my face. I am looking for less back pressure so the turbo can breath easier.

I have done research and American Racing Headers has a sweet long systen that checks most of the boxes for me. I spoke to one of the dealers, Dave at Livernois Motorsports about it. The price is around $1500 which is more than I want to spend for a downpipe and Y pipe. He also told me that emission laws have changed for the 2022 model year. The 200 cell converter in aftermarket downpipesare not up to the task of the 400 cell factory converter so the Check Engine Light will stay on. And more bad news. Ford changed the engine management programming for 2022 so aftermarket tuners will have a new challange figuring that out.

There are other options for downpipes and they all are 200 cell. I see that people are putting an extender that takes the downsteam of the cat sensor out of the exhaust stream. I don't know if that will work on 2022 models, Dave made it sound like that won't work on 2022 models. Any way I see it I will probaly have to go custom for a 3" into two 2.25" Y pipe for now. I have driven more than one vehicle that had the Check Engine light on all the time. So long as the engine runs fine and gas milage is good I am ok with that. Since the light will constantly burn and it won't pass emission testing I am leaning toward a catless downpipe that will get swapped out for biannual emission testing or leave the exhaust stock.

Tom

OP
OP
Mailman

Mailman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
22 Eco 6sp conv. 21 Lexus 300 F-sport
Thanks for the info. At this point I'll just be happy to have the car in my driveway. I've got a couple other projects on the docket and I might just wait til summer (if the damn car is here!!!) to start any mods.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested this is a cold start and idle down on my 2020 HPP with AE and CVF catted downpipe....normal mode. Since this video I've swapped to the NX2 turbo and it's a bit louder. Ford already sends the car out with a Y pipe.
Wow, no offense but that sounds like a turd. I might rethink what you’re doing there. AE is the devil. Post again with what you said you changed it out and we’ll see what happens. That is not loud.

Sponsored

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. At this point I'll just be happy to have the car in my driveway. I've got a couple other projects on the docket and I might just wait til summer (if the damn car is here!!!) to start any mods.
Jeff,
I have an exhaust update for you. Things have been moving along with my car. I installed the 3" catted downpipe from Mishimoto. As Dave at Livernoris said, yes I did get the Check Engine Light. However I installed an O2 spacer from Walmart and viola the code cleared, no more CEL. Just the downpipe made the exhaust louder, more crackles and pops. The fine print for these downpipes say the car will need a tune. Ryan Martin at PD Tuning backed it up saying the turbo will spool up quicker and could put me into an overboost condition. I had a local Performance shop custom fab a Y pipe with a 3" inlet the factory has a 2.25" inlet and two 2.125"outlets. My car is a fastback so there is no bracing around the exhaust like a convertable. I attached a couple of photos for you. The factory Y pipe with the adaptor Mishimoto gives you to connect the downpipe to the factory Active Exhaust is attached.
Tom
PXL_20220719_161825126.jpg
PXL_20220719_153418260.jpg

OP
OP
Mailman

Mailman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
22 Eco 6sp conv. 21 Lexus 300 F-sport
Oh Jeez! I forgot about this post. I canceled my order for the Ecoboost the end of Feb. I got tired of waiting with no delivery date in sight. 3/1/'22 I found a 2005 4.0 5 spd. convertible in Legend Lime (the color has really grown on me!) with 24,100 miles. The car is spotless and I've done all the mods: CAI, straight pipe, MGW shifter, complete tune (plugs, wires, coil) and I'm running a 93 octane race tune from Bama. This one is a keeper, I'm really happy with it. It also doesn't hurt to have $25,000 in my account that I saved by not getting the '22!!!!
Thanks to all you guys for the replies. Enjoy your rides...............the Mailman

arigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco pp mustang
Wow, no offense but that sounds like a turd. I might rethink what you’re doing there. AE is the devil. Post again with what you said you changed it out and we’ll see what happens. That is not loud.
lol anyone in this thread with a GT has no say ... post again when you get a 4 cyl

Dark Side

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP Fastback. 1967 Mustang Fastback
I put the Borla AE exhaust in mine with the Borla touring muffler instead of the Y pipe. Sounds far better in my opinion. No rasp/fart noise.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
I put the Borla AE exhaust in mine with the Borla touring muffler instead of the Y pipe. Sounds far better in my opinion. No rasp/fart noise.
Borla makes premo stuff
Sponsored