Sponsored

Model Series Codes

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Build 07/2018 Mustang GT 6spM (Magnetic)
The current 6th generation Mustang (S550) is available as a 2014-2017 FM series, or 2018-2022 FN series in Australia. Questions: Are car model 'series' codes (e.g. FM/FN) unique to Australia, (think of Falcon, Commodore, Valiant and heaps of Japanese cars), or are they also used world-wide?

Do generation 1-5 Mustangs have series codes or did the USA just go by model year (MY) to identify Mustangs?
Sponsored

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Interesting question, gut feeling says FM/ FN is Australia only, but hopefully someone wiser can confirm that.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I can't speak for all, but I know some in the industry use "body codes". The 5th, 6th & 7th characters in the VIN.

OP
OP
OzMustang S550

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak for all, but I know some in the industry use "body codes". The 5th, 6th & 7th characters in the VIN.
Yeah not thinking of a body code, e.g. a 1973 Falcon came in five body styles; sedan, wagon, coupe, ute & panel van … all being an ‘XA’ Falcon. Australia for some reason (perhaps other countries as well?) required a unique ‘reiteration’ code across each model generation for cars sold in Australia … for Ford, GMH, Chrysler/Mitsubishi, Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai etc.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
The current 6th generation Mustang (S550) is available as a 2014-2017 FM series, or 2018-2022 FN series in Australia. Questions: Are car model 'series' codes (e.g. FM/FN) unique to Australia, (think of Falcon, Commodore, Valiant and heaps of Japanese cars), or are they also used world-wide?

Do generation 1-5 Mustangs have series codes or did the USA just go by model year (MY) to identify Mustangs?
Interesting question Graeme. I just googled “Mustang” and “FN”, and basically all the results were from Australian websites. Did a search on this website and it seems FM and FN are only referred to by Australians. I wonder why Ford Australia had the need to allocate model designations; government regulations?

I have always referred to FN in my profile, but no non-Australian has ever queried it. Maybe no one at all has taken any noticed of little old insignificant me’s profile, ha ha.

Anyway, FM/FN provoked a bit of a discussion here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...supercharger-re-long-term-reliability.171720/

While on the subject of terminology, why is the sixth generation Mustang referred as the S550, and the seventh generation model referred to as S650; shouldn’t they be more logically be S650 and S750 respectively?

Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Interesting question Graeme. I just googled “Mustang” and “FN”, and basically all the results were from Australian websites. Did a search on this website and it seems FM and FN are only referred to by Australians. I wonder why Ford Australia had the need to allocate model designations; government regulations?

I have always referred to FN in my profile, but no non-Australian has ever queried it. Maybe no one at all has taken any noticed of little old insignificant me’s profile, ha ha.

Anyway, FM/FN provoked a bit of a discussion here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...supercharger-re-long-term-reliability.171720/

While on the subject of terminology, why is the sixth generation Mustang referred as the S550, and the seventh generation model referred to as S650; shouldn’t they be more logically be S650 and S750 respectively?
The S550 refers to the 5 iteration of the original Mustang in 50 years making it the 6th generation. Interesting then the 7th should be something like S655 or 656 ish, due to 6 iteration in 55/56 years 🐎🐎🐎

OP
OP
OzMustang S550

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)

It appears to be an Australian auto industry requirement going back to who knows when for cars sold in Australia, e.g. Holden FX, FJ, HR, HT, HQ … Falcon XR, XT, XW, XY … Commodore VB, VB, VL, ….. Valiant VC, VE, VH … Gemini TE, TX, TC … Subaru WRX GC, GD, GR … Hyundai i30 FD, GD, PD … Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, ZW, WK, WK2 … Nissan Pulsar N12, N13 …. and on it goes.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
The S550 refers to the 5 iteration of the original Mustang in 50 years making it the 6th generation. Interesting then the 7th should be something like S655 or 656 ish, due to 6 iteration in 55/56 years 🐎🐎🐎
Interesting, but on that basis what do the previous codes mean?

Fifth gen = S-197
Fourth gen = SN-95

Are these just codes plucked out of thin air, a bit like (presumably) the Australian Mustang FM and FN model designations.

We need a code cracker, if only Alan Turing was still with us…

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue

I'm no Alan Turing Code Breaker, however S550, SN95 etc are internal Ford development process designations, and FM & FN are unique Series designations to Australia, and have a unique Specification. Even British and Euro Mustangs are different, with slightly differing Power and standard Specs & Features to our Aussie cars.

Last edited:

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I'll need to check in my Mustang book but they are related to the platforms. I believe they came up with the whole S550 as part of the big 50 Years celebrations and to pay homage to the previous 50 years.
Sponsored