Sponsored

Missing Header Bolts

starboy786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I recently took my car to a performance shop that specializes in mustangs near my place. They checked the exhaust for me and saw that two of the bolts were not tightened all the way on my headers (stainless works catted). The guy was super cool said he was able to tighten up the one on the drivers side but couldn't get the passenger side one back in. He said he tried to put it in but it wouldn't go and he didn't want to risk stripping the thread. Im not worried about the headers falling off but is the car safe to drive for about another week till I drop it back off to his shop to fix everything? Its my only car so i don't really have much of a choice but to drive it with the missing bolt. Im not hearing any ticking or tapping while driving or anything like that. But i do hear very light ticking when the cars in park and i give it gas around 1500 rpm.

Those of y'all wondering his recommendation was to take the headers off and put them back on using the factory studs and nuts instead of the bolts supplied by stainless works cause the studs and nuts don't come loose like these did. Which is what I agreed on doing.

The attached pictures show the loose bolts. The one that's sticking out further is on the passenger side. Thats the one that would not go in.
IMG_3170.PNG
IMG_3171.PNG
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get the Stage 8 kit; never have to worry about loose header bolts again:
https://www.stage8.com/ford-performance-locking-fasteners/ford-locking-header-bolt-kits/

One other tip:
Regardless of header brand and bolt kits (factory or aftermarket), any time you R&R headers - after the first few heat cycles, you’re supposed to recheck and retighten the header bolts. If you don’t, what you have experienced will happen. Not only could bolts back out or fall completely out, but if a header gasket is used in the application, there is the possibility of that gasket being destroyed or damaged due to exhaust breach...

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'm skeptical that these migrated out - especially to that extent. Methinks your installer didn't do a good job. That said, this is why I'm done screwing around with headers. As for your question, the gaskets may need replaced but I can't think of a reason it would cause serious damage to your motor, but there could be some very hot exhaust being discharged into the engine bay. Good luck.

OP
OP

starboy786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm skeptical that these migrated out - especially to that extent. Methinks your installer didn't do a good job. That said, this is why I'm done screwing around with headers. As for your question, the gaskets may need replaced but I can't think of a reason it would cause serious damage to your motor, but there could be some very hot exhaust being discharged into the engine bay. Good luck.
That’s what I was thinking too. Previous installer screwed up for sure. Probably my fault for not checking after they were installed and I did some driving. Oh well lesson learned. I don’t mind replacing the gaskets. As long as the engine isn’t getting damaged. That’s all I care about

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They should not back out that far. A recheck is to ensure that they're snug down (about 20lb ft), not completely falling out. Are the bolts zinc coated/did the installer coat the bolts with antiseize?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As long as the engine isn’t getting damaged. That’s all I care about
It shouldn't be. You'll be fine as long as you haven't been doing something crazy. A pretty gnarly exhaust leak is probably your worst issue.

OP
OP

starboy786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They should not back out that far. A recheck is to ensure that they're snug down (about 20lb ft), not completely falling out. Are the bolts zinc coated/did the installer coat the bolts with antiseize?
Nope nothing on the bolts. Just installed them as they came out the box. Pretty sure the shop just screwed up the install

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Nope nothing on the bolts. Just installed them as they came out the box. Pretty sure the shop just screwed up the install
If they're zinc plated they'll be fine. But yeah looks like a sloppy job for sure.
Sponsored