Sponsored

Mishimoto 2015 Mustang EcoBoost Video Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Look forward to more posts and videos! I,m not a big fan of yellow but man does your yellow stang and black wheels look awesome!
Thanks for taking a look! We are also on the fence about the yellow, it is quite a bright color and begs for attention. We actually assumed more of our social media and forum response would be in regards to the color.

Can you guys do dyno runs of 87 and 93 octane? I'm curious if that's one of the reasons of the varying dyno tests.
We certainly can! We still have a mostly full tank of the fuel which was topped off by the dealer. Once we diminish the tank, we can see if any power losses exist with the use of lower octane fuel.

can't wait. ;)
Thanks!

When you guys do exhaust, PLEASE keep in mind that most Mustang owners do not want something that sounds like its a 4-cyl lol. No one wants to drive around with it sounding like a ricey-four banger. I think the stock is tough to beat as far as sound quality although it is near mute, so looking forward to a setup that has some bass in it.

Get on designing that catch can haha.
Thanks for the recommendation! If I recall, the original 2.3L turbocharged Lima engine sounded somewhat like a tractor when the exhaust was opened up. This vehicle is extremely quiet in stock form, perhaps a bit too quiet. We will be doing our best to provide a nice, throaty tone with the exhaust we develop. It is likely that we will be posting videos of the tone to survey the forum members. The catch-can setup is going to be one of our first projects, our engineering team will begin tackling it today!

Thanks for following!

In my mind my 2011 WRX sounds perfect for a four banger. It's throaty, responsive and has it's own sound. You know it isn't a V8, it doesn't rumble like one, but you know there's serious business at the other end of those tailpipes. The stock mustang sound from videos is trying to capture the same sort of tones, but it seems to drop out earlier in the power band. The boxer 4 maintains its rumble through 2k-2.5k rpm while the new EB motor gives it's rumble up right away for a whinier facsimile of a throaty V8.
Yes, the unequal length headers featured on the WRX/STi EJ engine provide an unmistakable noise/rumble. It will be interesting to see what our engineering team can come up with. More details on the way soon!

I strongly prefer the 'whinier facsimile of a throaty V8' to the putrid aural eminence of any Subie boxer, including the WRX.

all joking aside, I really do prefer the EB sound to just about any similarly sized 4 banger. Not a fan of the sound of Boxers. Im keeping my EB stock until I hear an aftermarket model that stays deep through the revs
Noted, thank you for the comment! We will do our best. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Actually sounds pretty good to me in the drive-off...
Yes, under load it actually sounds pretty decent. You get quite a bit of spool noise as well. Hopefully we can amplify this slightly without making it obnoxious.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Our first dyno video is up! Check it out below.

[ame]

The plot is shown below!

Yes, these numbers appear to be a bit low. Unfortunately we are not sure what fuel grade the dealership filled our car with! Once we empty the tank we will be filling it with some fresh 93 octane and collecting data on a few more pulls!

Thanks for taking a look!

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Hmm. Those are low numbers, but with the powertrain loss of around 15% and the lower power rating from 87 Octane knocking the down the power another 10-15% that seems in the ballpark of what is to be expected on 87 Octance I guess.

Sponsored

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Our first dyno video is up! Check it out below.

The plot is shown below!

Yes, these numbers appear to be a bit low. Unfortunately we are not sure what fuel grade the dealership filled our car with! Once we empty the tank we will be filling it with some fresh 93 octane and collecting data on a few more pulls!

Thanks for taking a look!
I have what is probably a stupid question. Is it possible that the fact the car is stationary on the dyno reduces the power from what you would see on the road? I know the primary benefit of the air entering the grille would be for cooling via the radiator obviously, but is there any benefit to induction as well, or would it be essentially the same as when the car is at rest?

OHV_44

!5 = 44
Threads
Reaction score
Once we empty the tank we will be filling it with some fresh 93 octane and collecting data on a few more pulls!
good idea! :thumbsup:
Thanks.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hmm. Those are low numbers, but with the powertrain loss of around 15% and the lower power rating from 87 Octane knocking the down the power another 10-15% that seems in the ballpark of what is to be expected on 87 Octance I guess.
Very true! Our guess is that the dealership topped it off with 87 octane. Hopefully that is the reasoning behind our rather lower power numbers. If so, I look forward to driving it with 93!

I have what is probably a stupid question. Is it possible that the fact the car is stationary on the dyno reduces the power from what you would see on the road? I know the primary benefit of the air entering the grille would be for cooling via the radiator obviously, but is there any benefit to induction as well, or would it be essentially the same as when the car is at rest?
Great question. Airflow will have a minimal effect on actual power output on the dyno. We utilize fans in-front of the vehicle to act as air speed to cool both the radiator and intercooler. It is very likely that actual road driving will provide greater airflow and more efficient heat transfer for both of these exchangers, however for our short pulls we should not see a huge difference in power output.

good idea! :thumbsup:
Thanks.
Thanks! We will be posting up one of our first driving impressions videos tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Will be interested to see what tunes can do for this thing. I just hate looking at what happens on these graphs after 5500 RPM. Hopefully the tunes will at least mitigate the drop off somewhat.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Will be interested to see what tunes can do for this thing. I just hate looking at what happens on these graphs after 5500 RPM. Hopefully the tunes will at least mitigate the drop off somewhat.
Agreed! The power taper after 5k is really disappointing. We are quickly burning off our 87 octane fuel, we should be able to have 93 octane results up by early next week. In the meantime, our engineers have started product development and we are putting together some first impressions driving videos. We should have our first video up by the end of today!

Thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

rickstang

Rickstang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboast, auto, 50 Year package
Thanks guys, can't wait for your driving impressions.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Sounds good, can you do a comparison between the "feel" of 87 vs 93 octane?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.