Sponsored

Misfire after cold start

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
So I got my car back. Dealer ended up not charging me.... FP declined to cover anything under the procal warranty due to the fact that I had the air raid modular tube hooked up to the stock air box and they say that the tune isn't tested with that "aftermarket" part so........there's that lol. Needless to say I'll either stay stock from here on out or maybe try and move up to a GT. This car is balls stock....... definitely felt the difference just driving home from the dealer.
Sponsored

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
So I got my car back. Dealer ended up not charging me.... FP declined to cover anything under the procal warranty due to the fact that I had the air raid modular tube hooked up to the stock air box and they say that the tune isn't tested with that "aftermarket" part so........there's that lol. Needless to say I'll either stay stock from here on out or maybe try and move up to a GT. This car is balls stock....... definitely felt the difference just driving home from the dealer.
Brutal...so it sounds like your only issue was misfires with the FP tune? No coolant loss or anything? If reverting to a stock tune cures the issue...guess it's just the FP tune. But if you put the stock intake tube back on, with the FP tune, and it still does it then...I don't see how FP could deny you...make sense? That'll take 15 minutes to swap. And it's not like they'll have any argument that the intake tube you HAD on prior caused permanent damage.

I totally understand not wanting to mess with it anymore though, that's where I am on TWO cars now. I'm so defeated at this point lol. I'm definitely going to let the EB remain stock when I get it back. At least for a long while lol.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
These sentences have me confused...I'm assuming you're referring to the a/c compressor working overtime to compensate for the leaking a/c evap core? So basically he's saying the compressor is kicking on/off frequently, which creates a rough idle? And you have a leaking a/c evap core?

Two notes from my personal experience regarding these things: 1) the ONLY time my idle has been absolutely rock steady and damn near perfect was when I had the a/c running. I was actually surprised at how steady it purred when the a/c was on, I've never had a car idle that smooth with or without a/c on. When it wasn't running, I'd get intermittent rpm drops down to ~500rpm and it would seem like it was going to die before it jumped back up. 2) I also had a leaking a/c evap core when I bought the car and just had it replaced. The idle issue was present before and after that repair.

Bummer on the FP and Cobb OTS tunes....those are two I was considering when the time came lol. Haven't seen one bad thing about them, now it's 2 in 1 thread...
Correct. Sorry if it wasn't clear, I've been working hard all day to wrap up before the holiday. He says it's the compressor causing the idle to sometimes jump down about 150 RPM with the evap core leak, and cause a minor shudder. I wish I could afford to replace the evap core.
Idle will sometimes drop drop to 500 RPM and the car will shudder harder, but this is rare, and the Ford tech claims the only culprit that makes sense is the purge valve or tune. I replaced the purge valve about a year and half ago and through testing last night it passed so I'm assuming something funky is happening with the tune. Pro-tuners claim they can't touch anything related to emissions, so the pro-tune may not solve that. One thing they can do is increase my idle RPM ever so slightly.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You might try asking Ford if they can do a misfire relearn on the PCM. That may or may not help. Let me know if you want to sell that Air Raid tube. I'll buy it from you.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Correct. Sorry if it wasn't clear, I've been working hard all day to wrap up before the holiday. He says it's the compressor causing the idle to sometimes jump down about 150 RPM with the evap core leak, and cause a minor shudder. I wish I could afford to replace the evap core.
Idle will sometimes drop drop to 500 RPM and the car will shudder harder, but this is rare, and the Ford tech claims the only culprit that makes sense is the purge valve or tune. I replaced the purge valve about a year and half ago and through testing last night it passed so I'm assuming something funky is happening with the tune. Pro-tuners claim they can't touch anything related to emissions, so the pro-tune may not solve that. One thing they can do is increase my idle RPM ever so slightly.
No worries at all, I just wanted to contribute my experiences in hopes of troubleshooting down the road for you or anyone else that might come across the thread later. These symptoms all sound similar, but we're all experiencing different causes at the same time too haha. I couldn't see compressor significantly dropping idle and that hadn't been my experience, but a temporary drop of only 150rpm is definitely minor and understandable. I hear you on the cost of replacing the evaporator too. I was lucky enough to get mine covered from the dealership I had just bought it from, but if they weren't going to cover it, I was really considering doing it myself. I've done a heater core before, it's not "hard", it's just takes some time. Definitely possible to knock it out in a weekend and save $800+ in labor. Ford dealer wanted 1,800, but was able to find a good independent shop that did it for 1,000 total.

Sponsored

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might try asking Ford if they can do a misfire relearn on the PCM. That may or may not help. Let me know if you want to sell that Air Raid tube. I'll buy it from you.
Nope. Keeping the air raid tube on. The plan tomorrow is to see how it starts after sitting all night and then take it on a long drive putting it through the paces stock. Once that's done if no codes are thrown i have an independent shop who said they'll do a compression test for me pretty much at no cost. If things check out I'm gonna go pro tune and say screw it. As much as I'd love to get a GT I can't afford one at the trim level I have now and I'm not willing to take steps back Just to have a V8...

So fingers crossed for tomorrow and this weekend lol.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that didn't take long....
20200703_000046.jpg

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super stock. And what pissed me off even more with my dealer today (they are a super respected dealer that I've gone to since I was 16) is that when I dropped it back off...again...he said they'll do a compression test.....................I've been asking them for almost 2 months to do that and according to my paperwork I got from yesterday when I picked it up....they did one....so someone is lying is that's bullshit.

I'm to the point now where I'm kind of "whatever" before I took it in today I took it for a nice little spirited drive around town since I haven't really driven it in over a month and who knows now how long it'll be before I get back again. Odd thing is it drives pretty much flawless once it starts and gets warmed up. It's just the first 1000 rpm misfires....

But again...this car sucks bone stock lol.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Super stock. And what pissed me off even more with my dealer today (they are a super respected dealer that I've gone to since I was 16) is that when I dropped it back off...again...he said they'll do a compression test.....................I've been asking them for almost 2 months to do that and according to my paperwork I got from yesterday when I picked it up....they did one....so someone is lying is that's bullshit.

I'm to the point now where I'm kind of "whatever" before I took it in today I took it for a nice little spirited drive around town since I haven't really driven it in over a month and who knows now how long it'll be before I get back again. Odd thing is it drives pretty much flawless once it starts and gets warmed up. It's just the first 1000 rpm misfires....

But again...this car sucks bone stock lol.
There's different types of compression tests that can be run. The Ford scan utility has one it runs by cranking the engine and measuring the relative cylinder head resistance within the cylinder. That may be the one they did. It only takes a couple minutes to do.
A more involved test, from my understanding, involves removing the ignition/fuel from a cylinder and connecting a gauge: https://support.alldata.com/article/tech-tip/running-compression-tests
You should be able to ask them which test they did.

Today I received my base map from PD Tuning and sent back the first data logs to Ryan. I'm looking forward to hopefully resolving this issue.

Sponsored

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Looks like I'm getting a new short block and head under warranty after all. They're saying it looks like another dealership did a head gasket job before I bought it and it's no bueno. Not really sure how bad you can botch a head gasket job as a Ford dealer, but I'm not complaining about a new motor.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Looks like I'm getting a new short block and head under warranty after all. They're saying it looks like another dealership did a head gasket job before I bought it and it's no bueno. Not really sure how bad you can botch a head gasket job as a Ford dealer, but I'm not complaining about a new motor.
Holy crap. What they're telling you doesn't really make sense, but who wouldn't want a new engine I guess?

I'm currently waiting on Ryan's updated tune. We basically reached the conclusion that some of the 2015's, and possibly newer must have had some modification done to the regular factory base tune to make the misfires less sensitive on cold start. There is a TSB for some of the 2015's to have PCM update made, but mine is slightly outside of the date range (1 month after):
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Ts...OqPhW7-CKiPH9EUX25HMRVOTzdmni3LtaRxeidGmoIjQY

Once I receive the updated tune I'll report back.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
It was a "hack job" is how it was described...was leaking oil and coolant somehow...I'm with you, doesn't really make sense, but YUP, not mad at a new motor lol.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It was a "hack job" is how it was described...was leaking oil and coolant somehow...I'm with you, doesn't really make sense, but YUP, not mad at a new motor lol.
You had it done at a Ford dealer?

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I didn't have it done, I just bought the car. The dealer doing the warranty work said another dealer somewhere back east did it (I'm in CA, I bought the car from TN). I'm assuming it showed in Ford's system as a previous warranty repair.
Sponsored