Sponsored

MGW first look at 2015 shifter development and oem shifter breakdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
hmmm. I (and many others it seems) have a thudding whenever shifting.
I have the thud..before and after..shifter will not fix this and I really believe it's not anything to do with the trans itself.
Sponsored

Last edited:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I have the thud..before and after..shifter will not sure this and I really believe it's not anything to do with the trans itself.
I didn't think it would. I think it has to do with drive train slop somewhere down the line.

Mikeyd56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium PP
When I do my MGW shifter I'm going to put in a carbon fiber drive shaft and I'm going to see if that gets rid of the thud.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
mine is on order i can not wait to get this installed, missing 3rd and 5th very frequently these days and its driving me nuts. it actually buzzes and pops right out under load its so annoying. I hope the MGW cures it.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do the install on a lift? I did mine on jack stands and have to say it was a bitch...but mainly because of maneuverability under the car...I'm 6' 2" and long arms does not bode well when you are limited on space between the floor and the car.

As far as noise I'd agree with one exception: I have a PP GT so maybe it's a result of the rear end 3.73 as well but with the radio off there's quite a bit more noise while in second gear. Not a big deal to me b/c the amount of time you stay in 2nd is pretty minimal under any circumstance. That and in 3rd between 3-4K RPMs I have a pretty distinct noise/vibration, but I think that's my trans as I was feeling a small "bite" regularly when going 2-3...and it's more noticeable now with the MGW just because it transmits more. I'm going to try a fluid swap and see if that helps, but maybe my 3rd gear inside the trans is a little harsh, who knows.

Overall I will say that driving experience is night and day. I'll echo the sentiments of definitely being worth the money/install. This is my 2nd shifter from MGW and they are top notch...no more missed 2-3 shifts under WOT.

On the boot install it's definitely a bitch. I have the GT so the trans is higher and I personally would recommend NOT lubricating that boot. If you get the bottom lip over the reverse lockout bracket and then immediately work the opposite (right) side it will go on fairly easily...just stretch the shit out of it.
I did install mine on a lift.

Sponsored

BackinBlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, Black with Recaros
I installed mine yesterday and it wasn't too bad at all. I used jack stands and I didn't keep track of the time, but I was surprised how quickly it went. Maybe 2.5 hours, taking my time and fiddling with stuff as I went along.

I did not have someone help with the transmission or use anything to help move it. For some reason, the infamous 10mm nut on top was easy, IMO. I used a short ratcheting box end wrench with a swivel head (Craftsman) and it was super easy. The effing boot was another story!

The other thing is I think the install video doesn't include removal of the factory linkage. It's certainly not difficult to figure out but I played the video a few times and couldn't find it - but I may have just missed it.

I get what seems like a little more vibration (certainly not bad) but did not notice any increased noise.

All in all I thought the install was very reasonable. For those of you without a lift, I would not hesitate to do it with jack stands.

The difference in performance is enormous! It works as advertised and is well worth the money and the effort. I got the gripper knob which is quite cool and is a great match for the interior but might also try a logo-less white MGW ball.

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Looseing the bolt is easy. Getting it out was my problem. I have the white line trans bushing in though. That could have hindered pulling the trans down

Edit, nevermind. I have the whole crossmember out of the car

Last edited:

BackinBlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I thought of that I did that MAY help other folks doing the install:

I installed a Steeda transmission bushing while I had the trans mount unbolted. In order to install the bushing you need to take the mount all the way off and that may have helped with some of the access for the shifter. It's only 2 more bolts than what is in the install video, so it's worth a try.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
guys who installed this and MGW, would removing the entire center console aid in the installation of this and the boot that everyone complains about? it seems the console is an easy removal for the most part.

BackinBlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have to remove the entire center console anyway (which is easy). The part we are complaining about is stretching the MGW-supplied rubber boot over the shifter. George makes it look pretty easy in the video, but it's not.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
guys who installed this and MGW, would removing the entire center console aid in the installation of this and the boot that everyone complains about? it seems the console is an easy removal for the most part.

You remove the center console as part of the install. It's just a tight fit because the upper housing sits flush with the hole in the tunnel.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
have any of you guys who struggle with this rubber boot have you tried heating the rubber boot up with a heat gun and then spraying some silicone spray to ease the installation?

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
My suggestion on the boot for the GT (since the trans is further raised than the EB): don't lube that damn thing. Stretch out that bottom seal (I know, that's what she said) and pull it real wide, when you get it over the left side where the reverse lockout part is immediately work the right two corners. I messed with it for a while and that was the method that worked for me, went right on.

For the guy that did it on jackstands in 2.5 hours...damn, I'm impressed. And I've been wrenching for quite a few years.

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
I had the Race Spec shifter installed during my build at Evolution Performance. I only have about 120 miles on the car since but the shifter is all I thought it would be. Haven't missed third yet and don't expect to. The optional composite knob with the running insert is really nice too. Great job MGW.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.