Sponsored

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a 2015 GT 350 TP.After roughly 1000 miles I began to hear a relatively loud metallic ,kind of clanging, noise.This noise started at 4,000 rpm and continued .There was not anything loose,car ran great.It did it after it warmed up.Took it the dealer I bought it from and they put it on a rack after looking under the hood for the source of the very audible noise.They had one guy in the car and one under it .I was standing in the service department looking through the glass at them.I could defiantly hear it.I saw the tech put a screwdriver up to a part of the back of the engine and the noise went away.He called me over and told the guy to rev it .The noise was there.He took the screwdriver and placed it between the engine plate separating the motor from the clutch housing.The noise stopped.As soon as he took it away it was back.He repeated it several times.The fix ,a new “engine to clutch housing plate......no more noise .This was done over two years ago.Cant say this will fix yours but your story sounded familiar.Sorry for the long story but it was the best way to explain my story in a way that might help you.
My car went into the dealer yesterday for this noise. I informed them of the above, and they pinpointed mine as the same issue. My dealer did not replace the piece but instead out some sort of shim in place. Noise is gone, at least it was for the hour long beating I gave it last night to try to reproduce the noise.

If it comes back they said they'll have to drop the trans and replace. I'll see how long their solution lasts.

Anyone have a service manual view of the pieces in question ?
Sponsored

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
The metal plate that goes between the transmission and engine was apparently taken out of later production model cars. The dealer confirmed today that my car (HR874), did not have it. Another update is that the dealer replaced a portion of the intake manifold thinking that was the source of the rattle and after testing, the rattle is still there. The dealer has no ordered new catalytic converters and those will be replaced tomorrow.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Not sure when my car was built but towards the end of 17 I think as well

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have had similar rattles in the past, but was able to resolve them by getting the car up in the air and banging on the metal components.

16 tech - rattle coming from under the car was the result of a loose heat shield on the exhaust
17R - metallic rattle coming from under the car was the result of a rock caught in the rear exhaust tips.

Having worked on other peoples cars in the past, you are probably the best one to find the noise since you live with it. Call a buddy over, jack the car up, and get under it. Start checking bolts, lines, and shaking things around to see what you find.

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Morning everyone... I am a creeper for now (but I am planning to pick up a used GT350 in the next few months).

I wanted to share this video I found while looking into the car- sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it in the thread...

The noise we are talking about is outside the car.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Just an update. Dealer has now replaced the intake manifold (not sure why but don’t care really at this point), and are in the middle of replacing both cats. Car has been in the shop now for 5 consecutive weeks plus another 2 weeks prior. Hired a lawyer and going down the road of getting it bought back as a lemon.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Just an update. Dealer has now replaced the intake manifold (not sure why but don’t care really at this point), and are in the middle of replacing both cats. Car has been in the shop now for 5 consecutive weeks plus another 2 weeks prior. Hired a lawyer and going down the road of getting it bought back as a lemon.
Didn’t someone already post they tried the cats. Have they looked at the coolant lines like what’s discussed in the other thread? That seems more reasonable than cats?

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Didn’t someone already post they tried the cats. Have they looked at the coolant lines like what’s discussed in the other thread? That seems more reasonable than cats?
Probably. I don’t expect the cat to be the issue but at this point I’ve lost interest and faith in the whole thing so as far as I’m concerned the car can be set on fire and I would be fine with it.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Probably. I don’t expect the cat to be the issue but at this point I’ve lost interest and faith in the whole thing so as far as I’m concerned the car can be set on fire and I would be fine with it.
I believe this is your update feom facebook.
Dealer ended up dropping the transmission and replacing the cyclinder block plate P/N: FR3Z-7007-A and that did the trick.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I believe this is your update feom facebook.
Dealer ended up dropping the transmission and replacing the cyclinder block plate P/N: FR3Z-7007-A and that did the trick.
Correct. My rattle is finally gone after replacing that part. I drove the car 100 miles yesterday in an attempt to recreate the sound and was not able to. One interesting thing to note is that the part the replaced, FR3Z-7007-A, is actually a discontinued part and has been replaced with a -B part. Going to confirm this on Monday with the dealer.

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
There is a plate between your engine and clutch housing that will rattle when the vehicle is warmed up. 3500-4200 RPMs.

Best way i can try to describe the sound is almost like a plastic bag being held out of the car as you go 100MPH. Or maybe one of those old school sprinklers with the huge round head that would pop up out of the ground and pulse water while rotating, then resets back to its original position while increasing the pulse it sprays at.... kinda sounds like it when it resets. Hope that makes sense.

If this is what you’re experiencing, do not fear! No damage will come to your vehicle. Check that plate and either replace it or shim it.

Reactions: _M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
The B is in front I think. BR
Sponsored