Sponsored

Media Hub Issue

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
The front console USB Media hub in my wife's'17 mustang was just replaced. The old one had connection loss whenever you hit a bump. Problem now is that the replacement charges the phone, but Apple CarPlay won't launch.
First thought is they installed the wrong media hub, but the receipt indicates the correct hub (PN: HU5Z-19A387-A). Is it possible that the paperwork doesn't accurately reflect the actual part that was installed? I guess the new hub could be defective. It's not a phone issue. Did the new hub need to to be reflashed? Both hers and mine connect fine in my truck. Any thoughts before we go back to the dealer? The service writer was pretty clueless.
Edit: Wife just informed me that when she plugs her phone in, she gets some message about requiring too much power, but it flashes so quickly she can't read it completely.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Thought I’d update this, as I put out bum information and have gotten an update from the service department. The hub I mentioned above is the armrest hub...not the console hub. I should have caught that. The console USB is integrated into a cable that I believe connects to the APIM. So, the technician replaced the front cable harness...not a hub. How I went from intermittent connectivity to charge only/no CarPlay is anyone’s guess. They now want to change the APIM.
I just got the car updated to sync 3 version 3.0 over wifi. If they replace the APIM, will I need to update again, or is the Sync module separate?

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Well, they replaced the APIM and still charge only...no CarPlay. I asked again if it could be the replacement harness, and they assured me it tests good. So, another APIM is on order.
I’m still not optimistic the APIM is the culprit. We shall see.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Well, they replaced the APIM and still charge only...no CarPlay. I asked again if it could be the replacement harness, and they assured me it tests good. So, another APIM is on order.
I’m still not optimistic the APIM is the culprit. We shall see.
Have you tried connecting the phone with an official Apple cable? Sounds crazy but sometimes this is all that’s needed.

Good Luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Dealer has officially given up. They say they have done lots of research, and their finding is that the 17 and up Mustangs do not support apple car play through the front USB hub...only the armrest. Problem is, ours worked through the front hub until they got their hands on it. So, am I losing my mind? Can any other 17+ owners confirm that their carplay works through the front hub?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Dealer has officially given up. They say they have done lots of research, and their finding is that the 17 and up Mustangs do not support apple car play through the front USB hub...only the armrest. Problem is, ours worked through the front hub until they got their hands on it. So, am I losing my mind? Can any other 17+ owners confirm that their carplay works through the front hub?
Apple CarPlay works on both usb hubs in my 19

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Apple CarPlay works on both usb hubs in my 19
You may want to check yourself (just kidding). According to my service writer here, they did EXTENSIVE research with Ford, and other Ford dealerships, they have determined that you cannot use Apple CarPlay through the front hub of a Mustang. Of course, no explanation for why my front hub worked with CarPlay BEFORE we left it with them, and doesn't now. It worked until they replaced the USB cable that runs from the port to the APIM. They have long insisted the cable is correct and works, but still no carplay. Looking at an IPB online, it looks like there are 2 cords: an FR3Z-14D202-B, and a FR3Z-14D202-D. According to FordPartsGiant, the B has been discontinued. I'm beginning to wonder if the replacement cable is not CarPlay compatible? Maybe mine had a B originally, and they put in a D and I lost Carplay. Just a wild hunch. Waiting for the dealer to email me the work order so I can see the PN they ordered. At some point, I need to pull the bezel out and verify the PN on the cable they installed.
Sponsored