Sponsored

McLeod RXT - McLeod flywheel or Lethal flywheel (both steel)?

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Any difference or preference? Same price so I wasn’t sure which to get.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine with either. Give us a shout if you have any questions.
Ordered the McLeod one with the rxt, along with pilot bearing, slave cylinder (ford), arp bolts and stainless braided line. Lethal ftw again!!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
RXT eh ? I don't think your gonna like it much. RST woulda been my first choice.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
RXT eh ? I don't think your gonna like it much. RST woulda been my first choice.
Too many stories of the rst not holding the power or glazing from hard driving. It all depends on your goals and how you drive.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I went with the LPX twin and billet steel flywheel for my whipple setup. It's kevlar material and has a nice feel to the engagement. Plenty of grip, but not too harsh. Only a hint of chatter if you are lugging when you are pulling into the garage for example. The pedal feels like stock. I haven't abused it yet as I'm only 250 miles into the break-in.

My only complaint so far is it seems to start kissing the first disc pretty close to the floor. If on a level surface, the car will start to creep just a bit as you let up on the clutch pedal a few inches. But the meat of the engagement is halfway up or so on the pedal throw. If on an incline, it will not stop the car from rolling backwards, but you can just feel the clutch start to drag a few inches off the floor. @Logan@Lethal is this pretty typical?

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
I went with the LPX twin and billet steel flywheel for my whipple setup. It's kevlar material and has a nice feel to the engagement. Plenty of grip, but not too harsh. Only a hint of chatter if you are lugging when you are pulling into the garage for example. The pedal feels like stock. I haven't abused it yet as I'm only 250 miles into the break-in.

My only complaint so far is it seems to start kissing the first disc pretty close to the floor. If on a level surface, the car will start to creep just a bit as you let up on the clutch pedal a few inches. But the meat of the engagement is halfway up or so on the pedal throw. If on an incline, it will not stop the car from rolling backwards, but you can just feel the clutch start to drag a few inches off the floor. @Logan@Lethal is this pretty typical?

granted i have the rxt but have a similar issue and always chalked it up to being the twin disk now curious if its not haha starts to grab then almost has a dead spot for a second then finishes grabbing

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
granted i have the rxt but have a similar issue and always chalked it up to being the twin disk now curious if its not haha starts to grab then almost has a dead spot for a second then finishes grabbing
That is the exact feeling I have. The LPX is made by McLeod, so very similar to the RXT. I really don't notice it much when taking off normally from a light or stop sign. More so when I'm creeping the car around like backing out of the driveway slowly.

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
That is the exact feeling I have. The LPX is made by McLeod, so very similar to the RXT. I really don't notice it much when taking off normally from a light or stop sign. More so when I'm creeping the car around like backing out of the driveway slowly.

yea level ground i dont feel it but hills for sure or some times creeping and being on the pedal a bit

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Other than that, how do you like the RXT?

Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Other than that, how do you like the RXT?

it does good however i did break my 4th gear shifting at like 7500 but i also kinda just dropped the clutch which i normally dont do because i know they are known for breaking the mt82.... i know the lpx is kevlar and gives a lil more so i think if they were out back when i got mine i woulda gone that route but all that aside its been great

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple

The chatter is 100% normal for any sort of solid hub twin disc; took me about a week of consistent driving to train myself to no longer lug the car (good practice anyways).

I think the most common question regarding any twin disc (regardless of ours/Mcleod, RAM, Mantic, Exedy, etc) is why does the clutch feel... weird (?) when cold.

I always rebute and well, why are you running the car cold? LOL.. but in actuality they are discs, so if they aren't at temperature they aren't the exact specification that the manufacturer planned for them to be (and for them to mate properly with the PP).

TL;DR Twin discs take getting used to but will outperform the transmission's capability. Mcleod twin discs have a very light pedal feel (even our LPXHD is only slightly heavier than stock) with a high engagement that takes getting used to. The benefit of having the LPX series is that even with the high engagement, you can slip it so makes racing easier.

Sorry, my TL;DR wasn't short. lol

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
TL;DR Twin discs take getting used to but will outperform the transmission's capability. Mcleod twin discs have a very light pedal feel (even our LPXHD is only slightly heavier than stock) with a high engagement that takes getting used to. The benefit of having the LPX series is that even with the high engagement, you can slip it so makes racing easier.

Sorry, my TL;DR wasn't short. lol
Totally expected some chatter, all good there. My question on the engagement is when is it normal to feel contact with the first disc? When I start disengaging the clutch, it starts kissing what I assume is the first disc (pressure plate to first disc) an inch or so off the floor. On level ground, it will make the car creep. But as I said, the meat of the engagement is higher up which is great. As long as it doesn't lock me out of high RPMS shifts, I have no concerns. I just thought it was strange to feel very slight drag on one of the clutch discs that close to the floor.

Hope I'm making sense @Logan@Lethal !

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
Totally expected some chatter, all good there. My question on the engagement is when is it normal to feel contact with the first disc? When I start disengaging the clutch, it starts kissing what I assume is the first disc (pressure plate to first disc) an inch or so off the floor. On level ground, it will make the car creep. But as I said, the meat of the engagement is higher up which is great. As long as it doesn't lock me out of high RPMS shifts, I have no concerns. I just thought it was strange to feel very slight drag on one of the clutch discs that close to the floor.

Hope I'm making sense @Logan@Lethal !
That's normal. Same thing on the RXT I had in the GT500 :)

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
That's normal. Same thing on the RXT I had in the GT500 :)
Thanks @Logan@Lethal ! I'm 250 miles into the clutch break-in period. I have serious stop and go hell in Chicagoland. I'm not sure my right foot is going to make it to 500!
Sponsored