Market bubble and electric restrictions vs value

Whipped500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Wanting
Let me first off say I'm new and know very little so I am here to learn. One thing I do know for sure is that I want a GT350R!

I've been doing a lot of research and one thing sticks in the back of my mind and has me wondering...Are these values being skewed or inflated because the rest of market is as well? I am guessing yes, but my main question is when this bubble comes to an end, will the ht350/gt350r pull back a little? Maybe closer to MSRP? I'm pretty certain these will never go below MSRP.

Also, with the government moving everything to electric, is there any fear of the government forcing you out of these cars? An example of what I mean hypothetically is an outrageous tax to own a gas powered vehicle, huge fuel prices, etc...just anything to deter from owning one. Will this electric movement with fear of what I just mentioned hurt the value or is it speeding it up?

I've been watching the other value thread and after watching the video about the market bubble ready to pop but then also the heritage/gnx value having the heritage almost double already, really has me wondering?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait to buy? A good buddy of mine who runs a Ford dealership advised me to for sure wait...what do you folks think?

PS...I literally just discovered this car last week! I was into boats but decided I am keeping what I have and not upgrading so thought a sports car would be fun (never had one)! Now I wish I came to this decision 4 years ago had my buddy order me one new!

Thanks!
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
no one can predict the market. I would look for a dealer that is under MSRP and you ll be fine. Probably ordering gets the best prices. Paying ADM is what can hurt but who knows. Used is also a bad value at this point.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
no one can predict the market. I would look for a dealer that is under MSRP and you ll be fine. Probably ordering gets the best prices. Paying ADM is what can hurt but who knows. Used is also a bad value at this point.
Mark, OP wants a GT350/GT350R. If any could be found new no dealer is going to sell them for MSRP or under.

David welcome to the forum. Now that the GT350 is discontinued people who have always wanted one are will to pay exorbitant sums to get one. The current car market is just making things worse. Hell dealers are getting MSRP for regular GTā€™s.

Waiting always comes with risks. Double the risk with a GT350R as availability comes into play. So if you really want one, why wait? Do your due diligence. Cars come up for sale every day. Scour the web until you find what you want. Just know you are going to pay a substantial amount to get what you want. Will you pay less if you wait? Maybe but most likely not. Especially is you decide you want an ā€œRā€. Good luck on whatever you decide.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Let me tell a story then give an opinion. Back in the early 1970's the first gas crunch hit and fuel prices jumped with shortages at stations. Lots of shocks to the system. Long gas lines. Odd - even tag number days to buy gas. Five gallon limits. No gas on Sundays and more.
One thing that happened was a big drop in the value of factory hot rods. I recall seeing nice 1965 GTO Pontiacs for sale at $800 or less. I wanted one but was up to my neck in student loan debt and the cost of living so i kept a 1970 Opel Rallye Kadette four banger.

My decision currently is to stop shopping for a popular used or new car. The 350R is going to be rarer than many vehicles so will have some built in ability to hold value over some other cars. Problems will include the ever-reducing population of buyers who can afford to pay the cost.
If the OP is flush with throw away money that changes the situation somewhat. There will be enough folks with such money to keep the price of some vehicles high no matter. The Ford GT's built in the around 2005 or so are an example. They listed for around $150K and sold over list when new. They now can go for over 400K. Is the 350R in that league? I do not know.
If the big money crew decides a 350R is worthy, the cost will stay high. Some will depend on how many were built and other such factors.

I could technically afford to pay inflated prices but emotionally refuse to. It is just not worth it to me to overpay if I can get along with what I have for now. There are some bad policies in place right now. Too much money being pumped into the economy for one thing. It is hard to know just how bad inflation will be down the road. Lots of folks who are doing OK now will be in a bind before long. Too much personal debt. I have been in debt in the past and it becomes a big drag on lifestyle.
Finally, my opinion. If the OP has the cash to pay outright and spending it will not hurt his/her lifestyle that is one thing. Let me be clear. Can the 350R be bought with money he/she will not miss? If so, then it is one situation.
If the OP will be shopping for payments and having to stretch to make other bills then it is a bad idea. Day to day living is going to cost much more for some time to come. Some of those in debt who have some extra at the end of the month now, will not in the near future. I have lived thru some inflation episodes while not making much money before. All of a sudden your cushion is gone and monthly bills are more than income.

I was shopping for a GT just before and for a while into the Pandemic. I will now wait until things settle down or my current vehicles fail. I was planning to pay cash and was not payment shopping. I have a rule about toys such as boats, motorcycles and special cars above basic transportation. Never buy with payments. If i do not have the cash to pay, then i save until i do.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I agree with Bikeman and add a couple things.
The current administration wants fuel prices high so they can push electric. Iā€™m thinking that will eventually change.
I also believe ICE is here for my lifetime +, Iā€™m 63.
Ford has no plans to abandon ICE performance cars just yet.
Live your life and get what you want. You may pay more for it now but so what, enjoy this amazing car.
I paid 5K under two years ago this June for a new ā€˜19ā€¦my wife thought it was a little excessive at the time but now feel a fortunate.
Cars are traditionally a really bad ā€œinvestmentā€. If your purchase drops in value here pretty quick, that is ā€œnormalā€ during normal times.
Explain why you want an ā€œRā€? A GT350 will get you 98% there without some of the headaches. Thatā€™s just my opinion as this is your ā€œfirstā€ sports car and live in a big city in snow country.
JUST DO IT!

Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I also say just go for it if you are not stretching your budget........

As much as I would love to just be able to pay cash for things- I also live in the land of million dollar 1500 square foot houses and having to pay for private school for 2 kids because we dont agree with the direction of the local schools- (our kids have good foundation- so they would be fine in public, but if we are fortunate enough to be able to afford it why not)

Life is short- if its not a huge financial drain....enjoy buying toys
You never know when its your time

I think with everything going electric- there will never be another car like the GT350 - which is why I doubt much of a price correction when things go back to normal - there will be faster Mustangs- but none of them will have that "it" factor

I came from a 19GT PP1 with the A10 - loved my Coyote motor- was probably faster in a straight line with the A10- but it wasnt a GT350

And I agree- a non R gets you just as much fun for street driving- the only reason I got an R was because dealer had it listed as a standard GT350 online- and priced as one as well - couldnt pass that up

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
there will never be another car like the GT350
there will be faster Mustangs- but none of them will have that "it" factor
Excellent points. For better or worse, there is and will only be one ā€œVoodooā€. We will not see another of its kind, from Ford, ever again.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This. Great post. Straight to the point.

If you have the disposable cash just buy now.

Life is non renewable.

Otherwise just wait it out, however prices may never drop, and if they do drop how long will it take.

My sense is most GT350 buyers don't "need" to sell and latest version upgrade motivation weak at best.

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
Why not start out with a GT350 for now and in 1-2 years flip it for a GT350R? The market is flooded with plenty of 2016 and 2017 gt350s right now. Iā€™ve had a 2016 and a 2017 gt350 and also want a R now. Prices right now are inflated by about $10k right now on all used cars .

OP
OP

Whipped500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Wanting
I agree with Bikeman and add a couple things.
The current administration wants fuel prices high so they can push electric. Iā€™m thinking that will eventually change.
I also believe ICE is here for my lifetime +, Iā€™m 63.
Ford has no plans to abandon ICE performance cars just yet.
Live your life and get what you want. You may pay more for it now but so what, enjoy this amazing car.
I paid 5K under two years ago this June for a new ā€˜19ā€¦my wife thought it was a little excessive at the time but now feel a fortunate.
Cars are traditionally a really bad ā€œinvestmentā€. If your purchase drops in value here pretty quick, that is ā€œnormalā€ during normal times.
Explain why you want an ā€œRā€? A GT350 will get you 98% there without some of the headaches. Thatā€™s just my opinion as this is your ā€œfirstā€ sports car and live in a big city in snow country.
JUST DO IT!
The reason I want an R is because of its value. I am very meticulous with my stuff so I feel I have more to gain in the long run. It will be a toy that will get few miles. Yes, I'm in the snow belt but it will never see snow/salt...or even rain if I can help it.

I am looking at it as investment...not a good investment, but an investment nonetheless. I figure for how it will get cared for and the low miles it will be driven, I am better off with it than say just a regular coyote GT. It's more than I want to spend, but the chances of it holding its value or appreciating is a lot better. The GT350 appeals to me too but feel R is more of the collector...I would be buying this to have long-term.

Sponsored

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
You're gonna get some for and against an R, you're also going to get some people saying wait and others saying pull the trigger. It's a gamble if you wait since it could go up or down and if you wait to save $5k, how much is that time really worth it and at that point save the 5K now and go with a GT350 and not the R. The price could also go up and you're paying R money for a GT350 which will be a though pill to swallow if you waited to a correction. Use everything here as a suggestion, do what you want, and what I saw on here a while ago which I liked is someone said that if you want an R and get a 350, you'll always want the R.. or something like that

OP
OP

Whipped500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Wanting
Excellent points. For better or worse, there is and will only be one ā€œVoodooā€. We will not see another of its kind, from Ford, ever again.
These are great quotes like you pointed out so I'm just going to piggyback your post. Yes I can find faster but I'm looking for modern and unique that has a chance to appreciate.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Bad time to be looking IMO.

Wait 6 months to a year when inflation has brought the country to its knees.

Availability and pricing may improve.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Donā€™t buy the car for an investment, but by the car with the expectations you wonā€™t lose much money. If youā€™re looking for an investment youā€™re better off spending the $80,000 in the stock market.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Who knows what power hungry marxist governments are capable of? In Australia for instance, they might end up confiscating your ICE automobile altogether. Especially if you didn't get your flu shot and aren't driving with a mask. But please remember, if it does happen, it will be for your own good.
Sponsored