Sponsored

Magnaflow Street - Drone?

LucaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I really like the sound and the look of the Magnaflow Street Catback... However beingy daily driver I am really concerned about drone.

I try to search around the forum but I really didn't find an answer. It's a fact that the competition drones like crazy, but what about the street?

If it drones the other option is the Corsa Sport... However i don't like it as much as magnaflow...
Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Solo Performance Mach XV

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you're drone sensitive, or even very sensitive to constant tone when cruising, you'll really be happy with Corsa. No exhaust I've heard thus far is as quiet on the highway. Not Borla, not Solo and from what I hear, not AWE. Corsa sport is as quiet as stock when cruising. [MENTION=19644]Lexman[/MENTION] posted a good comparison in this subforum between Solo Mach XV and Corsa Sport that he's had on his car. Check that out.

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP, Wipple Stage 2
I have magnaflow street. Zero drone...not even close. It's quieter than I was expecting, even under wide open throttle. But I love how it sounds.

1quickcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1991 mustang coupe. Termi swap.
I have the street catback. The only way to make it droan at all is about 1200-1400 rpm lugging it. System is very quiet I’m hoping long tubes get a little louder. Ultimately I love the sound without the obnoxious rasp.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Not an exact comparison...but I have the Magnaflow Street cat-back on the ‘08 GT.
Deep sound and no drone.
However, at low rpm’s, the sound quality/tone can be a little “boomy”
Best way I can describe it.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
The Magnaflow street setup is a really nice sounding setup. I recommend attending a local meet and riding along in a car with the exhaust or watch numerous videos on Youtube.
Let me know if I can get you a setup.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
The Magnaflow street setup is a really nice sounding setup. I recommend attending a local meet and riding along in a car with the exhaust or watch numerous videos on Youtube.
Let me know if I can get you a setup.
Hearing it in person is the best advice. Youtube videos can give you an idea of what an exhaust sounds like, but no camera microphone will replicate all the nuances of a particular exhaust setup.

Case in point: A few years ago, I was shopping for an exhaust for a Challenger. I watched dozens of Youtube videos and thought I found the perfect one. I ordered it, installed it, and was immediately disappointed. While better than stock, it wasn't quite what I expected after watching the videos. Needless to say I didn't make the same mistake when I wanted an exhaust for my 2017 GT.

Btw, I got Corsa Sport catback and I am beyond thrilled with it :thumbsup:

I can understand the OP's preference for the "old school" sound of Magnaflows. I thought I wanted the same sound. But after hearing multiple exhausts (including Magnaflow), I changed my mind and felt the "race car" sound of Corsa is more fitting for the Coyote. It is all personal preference, of course. However, I can vouch for Corsa being almost library-quiet while cruising. At highway speed, I hear my tires over the exhaust. But pushing the accelerator wakes up the beast, and lets everyone around me know it is NOT just another Mustang lol

Last edited:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
The only time I hear drone on my magnaflow is if I'm way over geared. Like in sixth at 45 mph I'll get a bit of drone but that's not the exhaust fault it's just the wrong gear for that speed. Other than that, zero drone.

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have this exhaust. 3.31 car. No drone. I love it. Sounds great , not obnoxious In any way.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the mags street you should be fine, borla touring, any of the more mild ones should be fine.

let me know if we can assist at all

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the Magnaflow street catback on my car with mak cat deletes. It droned so bad it sounded like it was shaking the car apart inside. I promptly sold it and re installed my GT500 exhaust. Best decision ever.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Yes, it drones. Those that say it doesn't either don't know what drone is, or they are in total denial.
But as other have said, lugging it in 6th does it. Especially on hills under 60 MPH. I'm still trying to find time to try out a couple of J tubes just before the mufflers.
I'm happy as long as I stay in 5th gear under 60 MPH.
Oh, and running the 3:55's.

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, it drones. Those that say it doesn't either don't know what drone is, or they are in total denial.
But as other have said, lugging it in 6th does it. Especially on hills under 60 MPH. I'm still trying to find time to try out a couple of J tubes just before the mufflers.
I'm happy as long as I stay in 5th gear under 60 MPH.
Oh, and running the 3:55's.
I know what drone is and hate it. Not in denial...
No drone . Zero. I drive in 6th every day . Read the American Muscle reviews.
Lot's of good info.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I have the street catback. The only way to make it droan at all is about 1200-1400 rpm lugging it. System is very quiet I’m hoping long tubes get a little louder. Ultimately I love the sound without the obnoxious rasp.
Every single guy that comes around M6G and complains about drone does exactly this...can't drive, a manual, anyway, can't select the proper gear and RPM range to save their lives but it's the equipments "fault" it drones.
Sponsored