shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Shane,
Did you ever find a clear explanation as to what was causing your misfire? I am having a similar issue with my 2016 but it is at a lower RPM... and it appears to be isolated to cylinders 6 and 8 (P0306 & P0308). The car was in a minor collision in the front and damaged the side impact sensor wires and the green wire to the VCT22 plug for the variable camshaft timing band 2 solenoid 2. All wires have been repaired but the low RPM misfire still exists. I am being told now to replace the PCU and would be glad to do that if that in fact will solve my problem.
Not really. The misfire monitor reset seems to have fixed it, but I don't know why it needed to be done in the first place.
Sponsored

ChrisWoodard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush RS3
Just to update... I performed a "misfire monitor neutral correction" at the local Ford dealership and my misfire and DTCs are gone and the car is running great.

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
I dropped my car off on Monday to have a stripe replaced. While they were driving my 400 mile perfectly broke-in motor, my Ford Pass on my phone let me know I had a misfire code. I called and they said she's running perfectly but noticed the check engine light. They diagnosed and replaced an injector but it did not solve the issue. Yesterday, I was told I can't have it for the weekend because they ordered a new driver's side cylinder head. I told them I want to know what happened but I'm not sure they know.
I'm bummed. Has anyone heard of anything related to this?

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
I dropped my car off on Monday to have a stripe replaced. While they were driving my 400 mile perfectly broke-in motor, my Ford Pass on my phone let me know I had a misfire code. I called and they said she's running perfectly but noticed the check engine light. They diagnosed and replaced an injector but it did not solve the issue. Yesterday, I was told I can't have it for the weekend because they ordered a new driver's side cylinder head. I told them I want to know what happened but I'm not sure they know.
the beauty.jpg

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You dropped your car off to have a stripe replaced and they were driving it?

Was the vinyl shop at a different location than the dealer?

Sponsored

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Yes. I was told a mile away. My service guy said he would drive it and take good care of it. I do not think he did anything improper. I'm thinking bad luck but...yeah...how would you like to be that guy?

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
BTW..."this is the first GT350 we've had to work on". Just what I wanted to hear. :)

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
BTW..."this is the first GT350 we've had to work on". Just what I wanted to hear. :)
Ask them how they determined a cylinder head had to be replaced? Demand they show you the decision tree from the service manual. Also, ask if Ford has sanctioned them opening up the 5.2.

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Ask them how they determined a cylinder head had to be replaced? Demand they show you the decision tree from the service manual. Also, ask if Ford has sanctioned them opening up the 5.2.
"Ford engineering" is whom allegedly made the call for the new head. I'm supposed to get pictures and explanation after they figure out what went wrong. It just doesn't make sense. "If all goes well" I get to pick the car up by EOD Tuesday. It's hard to be optimistic if they still don't know what happened. From my perspective, it appears they are guessing. There's a huge communication void at best. Thank you for the idea of the decision tree from the manual. HOW they determined to pull the head is what's driving me nuts. Now I have a guy who has never worked on a 5.2 changing out the top end on my brand-new $80k ride. I didn't have a problem when I dropped it off.
I'm wishing I bought that extended warranty now......

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
"Ford engineering" is whom allegedly made the call for the new head. I'm supposed to get pictures and explanation after they figure out what went wrong. It just doesn't make sense. "If all goes well" I get to pick the car up by EOD Tuesday. It's hard to be optimistic if they still don't know what happened. From my perspective, it appears they are guessing. There's a huge communication void at best. Thank you for the idea of the decision tree from the manual. HOW they determined to pull the head is what's driving me nuts. Now I have a guy who has never worked on a 5.2 changing out the top end on my brand-new $80k ride. I didn't have a problem when I dropped it off.
I'm wishing I bought that extended warranty now......
Frustrating for sure. I’d do what I could to get it all in writing. The problem, the fix. I’d double check about the “Ford Engineering”. I’m not try to sow doubt. Just trying to suggest things that might help you preserve what you got. As for the extended warranty, ask them about any warranty about what they want to do to your car. Of course, get it in writing. Take lotsa pics to document the condition if you go ahead w the work.
Good Luck!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
First time I've heard of them even allowing this kind of repair rather than a full engine replacement. I'd ask for pictures of the damage.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’m with the others, ask to speak to someone to determine how and why it needs a cylinder head from a test drive... not to make you worry, but it just doesn’t sound right.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
This is all very highly suspect. Dropped off to get stripes. Dealer drives car to said stripe shop only a mile down the road. Car trips a misfire code during the short trip to the stripe shop. Now it needs a cylinder head. No freaking way. I would be calmly grilling the service rep. Check your mileage. Was it really only a mile down the road. I hate casting doubt but this feels like a dealer abusing a customers car. Can't the cars computer provide some history during the event? Like what RPM it was being run at under their supervision.

ccdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Well....It will be three weeks on Monday and they have no idea what the issue is. The good news is that I received a call from Ford Regional Customer Service Manager, who was very helpful, as well as a Fed Ex letter last night telling of my upcoming buyback offer from RAV. That was head-spinning quick - likely because of the age and mileage? So....I'm back in the market. I'm a bit worried about whether Ford knows what's up with the 5.2, but not enough to prevent me from buying another. I love that car. Here we go again..........

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Wonder if a tech was hammering on it with a cold engine and then boom it went. Sounds very suspect to me.
Sponsored