Mach 1 test drive impressions by GT owner

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not just paint (and badges and decals) and transmission (be it Tremec or 10R80). It's entirely different front fascia, imo lot nicer than GT or Bullitt. Lot nicer exhaust tips. I like the optional wheels lot more than Bullitt's. Many additional track goodies (chassis and cooling). Available Handling Package for wider tyres, aggressive splitter and spoiler and lot more downforce.

But yeah, choice of paint is probably the most important for me :like:
That's not to say Bullitt isn't a great car, it is. Mach 1 is more like a proper performance package for GT (which is great, finally!)
Its nice, it's just not 57,000 Biden bucks nice. At least IMO.
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's cheap, considering I'm paying $81,000 for it (well honestly 66k, since I'll deduce 4/5 of VAT) but I'm in a different boat since I don't have any Mustang yet and the clock is ticking here. If I had a GT, I would see it entirely differently for sure.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
the TR3160 from the GT350 is the only significant difference other than paint
Not saying I don't love it...
Transmission, extra coolers, Improved PPL2 package. I think its worth a couple K more than the Bullitt price, but not as much as they are asking. More so when even the red calipers are a $500 option for the Mach1 but standard on the Bullitt. I'd jump into a light used or left over GT350 before a Mach1 for the price.

I'd be very interested in seeing a track comparison(all on same rubber) of a Mach1 vs GT350, and either a Bullitt with the FP Handling Package or a PPL2 with the Power Pack on it.
I suspect the GT350 would be first, the Mach1 behind it just ahead of the PP2(or Bullitt) due to cooling/gearing, and the PPL2+PP/Bullitt+FPHP darn close to tie.

dahnuguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '13 F150, '76 F100, '64 Falcon, Foci
Transmission, extra coolers, Improved PPL2 package. I think its worth a couple K more than the Bullitt price, but not as much as they are asking. More so when even the red calipers are a $500 option for the Mach1 but standard on the Bullitt. I'd jump into a light used or left over GT350 before a Mach1 for the price.

I'd be very interested in seeing a track comparison(all on same rubber) of a Mach1 vs GT350, and either a Bullitt with the FP Handling Package or a PPL2 with the Power Pack on it.
I suspect the GT350 would be first, the Mach1 behind it just ahead of the PP2(or Bullitt) due to cooling/gearing, and the PPL2+PP/Bullitt+FPHP darn close to tie.
"I'd jump into a light used or left over GT350 before a Mach1 for the price."

I agree. I really like the Mach 1, but not the price point.

Only thing that would affect the lap times is the track and the engine , brakes and tires.
The rest is similar enough not to matter much unless it is a high speed long track.

All that cooling stuff only comes into play after 30 minutes of hard use.
A couple laps for lap time would probably not over heat anything but the brakes.

As for cost...
I would like to see a base Mustang at 22k , GT at 25k, PP at 27k and Mach 1 at 30k.
Shelbys 40k plus options.
And trucks likewise in the 20 to 30k range.

This price creep and collapsing dollar value / inflation of the last ten years is alarming.

Keep in mind that all the track race car stuff on most of these cars will only be used in traffic on public roads. The Mach 1 is meant to be a track car and the Shelbys are hard core almost race cars. That's a lot of extra cost and hardware for people to just drive them in traffic.

I think we should save all the race car stuff for the R models, the ones without a VIN.
Today's Mustang GT is already more car than the public roads can support.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
"I'd jump into a light used or left over GT350 before a Mach1 for the price."
Game Over nothing more to discuss. Ford seriously missed the boat here by not putting a DCT paired with the Gen3 NA engine. Im not asking for anything fancy. DCT NA Gen3 under 60k and it would print money.

M1 pricing too high for what it is. 55k loaded all options sure then Id prolly see the value in a M1. Over 60k NOPE thats used GT350R money.

Lastly the ADM dealers want is exactly why the used market is crazy. Its 100% self inflicted by the dealers.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have said it before.
You guys on the other side of the pond have been blessed with "cheap" cars.

The change has unfortunately started for you as well to se more expensive performance cars, at least domestic ones.

Still cars there in general are "cheap" and also considering the incomes you can have there.

An A10 M1 with HP I think will be very close to a GT350 on a road course. But time will tell.
We are paying the equivalent to GT350R money here for the "base" M1 with A10 and apperance pkg(75k USD) and the base one offered here do not even have torsen nor 3:73 gears. Let's not talk about the road-taxes, gas-prices etc on top of that :D .......

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
OP, I really like your test drive review. I watched this thread as you went through the pros and cons of the M1. I did the same thing. So, last year I sold my Bullitt with the Whipple on it. Hated the gearing of the transmission but thought it shifted great. Since I owned a Bullitt, I know what the car will accelerate like. Same hp/tq.

Then I bought a '16 GT with 331 gears, manual transmission with the intention of trying out a differential swap. This in anticipation of possibly getting the M1. Easy swap. Easy Forscan to change gearing. However the gearing in the '16 is much steeper than the 18+. So, I am buying the M1 with the full intention of installing at least 4.09 gears, and preferably 4.56 but it would require a custom tune as Forscan doesn't go that high unless Ford changes the mapping in the M1.

You made a great decision. Your car will be a thing of beauty, perform excellent as well.

Congratulations on your new M1!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So, I am buying the M1 with the full intention of installing at least 4.09 gears, and preferably 4.56 but it would require a custom tune as Forscan doesn't go that high unless Ford changes the mapping in the M1.

FYI

I'm looking at 4.09 gears for my '19 GT 6 speed. Because of rev-match and programming changes - the max gear that stock programming will adjust to is 3.73. I talked with an experience tuner who has Mustang experience - he told me the cheapest, easiest route (if I'm not looking to make changes to the actual 'tune - fueling etc) is to buy the new OBD2 plug in HPTuners device and the needed credit (18+ Mustang needs 4 credits at $49 per). $300 for the device / software, $200 for the credit needed. Only one change needs to be made for the gears (Max Ratio).

The benefit is, you can use this device (and won't have to buy credits - or be charge for credits by the tuner) to load a custom tune down the road. So you'd just be paying for the tune.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Not what I would do. I would get a foreskin device which is about 30 bucks and then you can get a free license online for 2 months and you can change your gear ratio from 3:15 to 3:31 to 355 to 409. If he doesn't know that that's in the stock file then he's not very knowledgeable.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
That's for scan not foreskin! And I miss the gear ratio 373 is available too. I'm doing voice to text so bear with

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Not what I would do. I would get a foreskin device which is about 30 bucks and then you can get a free license online for 2 months and you can change your gear ratio from 3:15 to 3:31 to 355 to 409. If he doesn't know that that's in the stock file then he's not very knowledgeable.
You owe for the coffee I just spit across the room.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
That's for scan not foreskin! And I miss the gear ratio 373 is available too. I'm doing voice to text so bear with
So you're saying you have successfully changed the max gear ratio in a 2019-20 Mustang with Forscan?

Keep in mind what I posted. 19+ has auto rev match with the 6 speed. 2018 and back does not. I've swapped rear ends (gears) in multiple pre 2019 S550 - zero issues - in fact you don't even need to mess with Forscan...but 19+...........

3.73 to 4.88 Gear Swap Problems in 2020 Bullitt | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Start on this page:

(2) How are people liking 4.09 gears in the MT82? | Page 13 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

FORSCAN doesn't change anything on ECU (I've used it plenty - did a Sync 3 swap for the first time 3 years ago)........there is a max ratio setting in the ECU tune on 2019 and up 6 speed cars.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You changed the body control module through forescan?the reason the guy couldn't change the ratio on his bullet is because it won't go up to 4.88 it will only go up to 4.09. and answer your question no I have not changed it on an 18 or up Mustang. I can't imagine it being any different though he has several gear ratios were available on the stick shift with rev mansion. I could be wrong it's been known to happen

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You changed the body control module through forescan?the reason the guy couldn't change the ratio on his bullet is because it won't go up to 4.88 it will only go up to 4.09. and answer your question no I have not changed it on an 18 or up Mustang. I can't imagine it being any different though he has several gear ratios were available on the stick shift with rev mansion. I could be wrong it's been known to happen

Yes - that second thread I posted? The guy did 4.09 gears (installed by a Ford Dealership). The Dealer could NOT change the setting with their system. Their system accesses BCM and other modules, just like ForScan. Then he tried ForScan. Nothing.

2019+ with the MT82 6 speed differs from previous years with auto rev matching and a gear position sensor.

The change needs to happen in the actual ECU for max gear ratio.

Fun fact - you do NOT need to change (manual transmission cars anyway) the BCM entry for gear ratio in 2018 and earlier S550 cars when you change gears (for a certain change). The wheel speed sensors pick up the change with zero errors.

I personally went from 3.15 gears in my '17 V6 6 speed to 3.55....no changes needed. Speedo was dead on, everything worked great with ZERO changes. I've done 3.31 to 3.73 and a couple of others. Never beyond 3.73....

The tuner I talked with, he said it was funny I contacted him. A guy showed up who did 4.56 gears in a '19 6 speed car. Car was throwing all kind of error codes etc. The tuner said "It's an easy change - you don't need a tune." Several hours later he figured out - yeah - you need to modify the max gear ratio setting in the tune itself. Forscan cannot do that.

HTH

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You DO have to change the BCM. I know because my car wouldn't run correctly
Sponsored