Sponsored

Mach 1 - First Oil Change - Filter Inspection

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Our Mach 1 demanded an oil change at 3000 miles following it's 10th track day and about 1,000 track miles overall.

The oil change was straightforward and thankfully, there is nothing exciting to report. However, given the amount of track abuse this car has had since day one, I thought it would make an interesting post to show what the inside of the oil filter looked like:

Very small fine pieces of metal sand at the bottom of the can:
of4.jpg

Very small fine pieces of metal sand settled out at the bottom of the tray. The black piece is a paper thin, brittle piece of plastic that might have come from the filter itself:
of3.jpg

More fine pieces trapped within the filter element:
of2.jpg

of1.jpg

Also, I installed an oil catch before the previous track weekend. Here is how it looked after a 300 mile road trip and 200 track miles:

of5.jpg

Ironically, the dealership called me today to inform me that it was about time for an oil change and that they wanted to schedule me to come in 😂. I need to disconnect that modem at some point.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting findings... Is this good, bad or normal?
I just did mine last weekend at 2800mi and everything went smooth. First time at track this Thursday night with full synthetic in the pan. I installed FP Oil seperator at 700mi and it only had a couple drops in it... less than my 15GT had all the time.
I am surprised you went this many track days with no oil changes... isn't every track day recommended?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well all I can say is 40000 street miles, which is far more punishing, the factory ford filter which I cut open had nothing in it, and my last filter had nothing in it. Oil in the catch can was around a 1/4 ounce per oil change since new.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Well all I can say is 40000 street miles, which is far more punishing, the factory ford filter which I cut open had nothing in it, and my last filter had nothing in it. Oil in the catch can was around a 1/4 ounce per oil change since new.
Yeah… metal shavings are never good..
Raidernixon, you abused her! Lol

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The metal shavings are pretty normal on the first oil change. Just being broken in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did mine last weekend at 2800mi and everything went smooth. First time at track this Thursday night with full synthetic in the pan. I installed FP Oil seperator at 700mi and it only had a couple drops in it... less than my 15GT had all the time.
I am surprised you went this many track days with no oil changes... isn't every track day recommended?
The big thing is to make sure the oil level is being maintained (you can see in the catch can how quickly blowby can happen in extreme conditions). Over time, the oil will break down regardless of the fill level and it is important to get it swapped out before that happens. It seems most of the track guys I've locally met like to change the oil after every second track weekend or so (every track day would be a bit much lol). I did want to see how to oil life indicator responded to the abuse and my plan was to change it out at 3,000 miles regardless of what it said. Apparently the oil life indicator was on the same page since it squawked at 3K miles.

Going forward, this car will be on the every two track weekends schedule since I am not getting any easier on her (she likes it).

From what I understand, these fine little shavings are totally normal and the next oil change should be cleared up quite a bit.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The metal shavings are pretty normal on the first oil change. Just being broken in.
^^^
Exactly, as well as finding minute amount of debris particles that couid be from initial engine assembly, normal bearing wear, normal cylinder wear, and/or residue from cast. It's not surprising to see the debris pictured on an initial oil change coming from a brand new vehicle.

Also to note, how the OP dissected the oil can is exactly how to do it and is the method used by any Auto Service Center if/when needing to open an oil filter for XYZ inspection.

Included is the official Ford doc if anyone wants it.

Attachments

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
^^^
Exactly, as well as finding minute amount of debris particles that couid be from initial engine assembly, normal bearing wear, normal cylinder wear, and/or residue from cast. It's not surprising to see the debris pictured on an initial oil change coming from a brand new vehicle.

Also to note, how the OP dissected the oil can is exactly how to do it and is the method used by any Auto Service Center if/when needing to open an oil filter for XYZ inspection.

Included is the official Ford doc if anyone wants it.
Is there any advantage in your opinion to doing the first change earlier to get all of that debris out of there? I was thinking about doing it at 1000. I don’t care about the money but I don’t want to change it early if it’s a bad idea

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Is there any advantage in your opinion to doing the first change earlier to get all of that debris out of there? I was thinking about doing it at 1000. I don’t care about the money but I don’t want to change it early if it’s a bad idea
I usually do it around the 3-4k mark. Just enough time to break in a good amount without completely wasting the first oil change. Also a good opportunity to get some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in the car ASAP is my opinion there.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I've did my 15GT and Mach right around 3k.. Oil started to look a little dirtier by then.

Sponsored

kindy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 JFG
Thank you for taking the time to type up this post. this is very good information to know. Could you provide me with the catch can you use, id like to fit one to mine when it arrives.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for taking the time to type up this post. this is very good information to know. Could you provide me with the catch can you use, id like to fit one to mine when it arrives.

Thanks again.
I got the Ford Performance M-6766-A50A oil/air separator. Note that there is another similar model with a similar part number of M-6766-A50 that is for 2011-2017 coyotes - make sure you do not get that one, as it is kinda easy to miss. The mounting points are different between the two.

LEMON BUY BACK!
Fraud!
Dealer joyride!
Sky is Falling!!

edit: oh wait, nevermind
😂 😂 😂

kindy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 JFG
I got the Ford Performance M-6766-A50A oil/air separator. Note that there is another similar model with a similar part number of M-6766-A50 that is for 2011-2017 coyotes - make sure you do not get that one, as it is kinda easy to miss. The mounting points are different between the two.
Thank you buddy👍

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You should see the shavings in the differential magnetic plug. Is the fluid swap beneficial in the Tremec as it was for the MT-82 with the BG Synchromesh?
Sponsored