Sponsored

Mach 1 fashion faux pas? Need to know whether I’m upgrading or butchering my car

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with everyone else who said it's personal preference. Having said that, I personally don't think bronze goes well with fighter jet grey. I like graphite or charcoal grey. I would also consider black, but in a different style than those base wheels. I think black wheels look better in person than in pics.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
For my alternative / cold season setup, I think the RTR tech 7’s were perfect for the Mach 1.

6B414612-0D1A-42B5-892C-2AC3AB72BD16.jpeg

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
B8171FE0-35F8-47D0-A8A5-A882FF46DDE8.jpeg
Don’t be afraid to add some color. If multi piece wheels are in your budget, I think an orange lip with a graphite center would look fantastic on your Mach 1. Or a graphite wheel with an orange pin stripe.

OP
OP

MachSteady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Wow, that looks great! I love black cars with bright wheels. And the graphite wheel with an orange pinstripe could be a nice middleground for me.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
IMO, a black rim is neutral, going with almost anything. It will also compliment and pair well with the black in the M1 decals. I'm afraid a bronze rim could be too many colors: bronze, FJG, black and the secondary color in the M1 striping.

Further, multiple colors often look well when there's a contrast. In the examples you provided, the white/bronze and some others look washed out. There's nothing wrong with the car or the rim, but the colors are too close to one another. It's blurred.

What you could do...spend some time on the computer and cut/paste some bronze rims on a FJG M1. It's not going to match perfectly picture-wise, but should give a good representation how the colors will look when together, before committing. Maybe try some other colored rims. The rim won't matter at that point, just the color. You could then find a rim.

In the mean time, save cash. Might catch some rims you like on Labor Day sales.

When you have them installed, please post pics and let us know how things went.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
For my alternative / cold season setup, I think the RTR tech 7’s were perfect for the Mach 1.

6B414612-0D1A-42B5-892C-2AC3AB72BD16.jpeg
I thought this was a great example how finish can also compliment. Black obviously goes with the car, but the matte or semi-matte rim finish compliments the matte M1 decals, the splitter and the rocker aero which also have a like finish. The red in the stripes/decals/calipers is in direct contrast to all of it and stands out well; it's the only other color and doesn't have to compete with anything else.

Last edited:

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing I like about the RTR Tech 7's is the offset, they push the wheel out more than the factory rims giving the car a better stance than stock. I'm running 275 19's all around.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
While generally speaking I think bronze wheels are cool, I agree with @Skye. With the hues in FJG plus the orange accents, you may find the bronze doesn't give quite the look you'd want. I'm sure they won't look bad of course, but IMHO, I think there are probably better fits for FJG. That said, I really like black wheels on cars, which I know that trend is beginning to fade a bit. But especially on lighter colors, I think black wheels add the right contrast. And of course, as others have mentioned, I am also a big fan of the HP wheels.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Bronze and FJG? That would be a hard "no" in my book. Black or gunmetal would look best in my personal opinion.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
Anything is better than the base 5-spokes. The upgraded wheels or the HP wheels are better. I think a lot of the SVE or Apex wheels are a nice upgrade.

OP
OP

MachSteady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks to everyone that commented. A lot of the links to wheels you posted were exactly what I had in mind design wise. And I’m starting to agree that bronze on FJG may look better in theory than reality. I think simply ditching the stock/base model wheels will go a long way toward upping the style factor. LMR’s handling pack replica wheels designed for cars without the handling pack in graphite may be the way to go, but I’m still toying with something with orange accents or powder coating for a touch of pizzazz. I haven’t seen a Mach 1 with a hit of color on its wheels yet so that concept continues to intrigue me. I think you guys have helped knock bronze toward the bottom of the list so I’m finally making some progress. 👍 I’ll post pics when my V8-powered Cinderella finally gets new slippers.
Sponsored