Lund tune with issues???

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Hey guys, not sure if this has been cover here or not and if it has, im sorry in advance for reopening a new thread... Just want to ask who has experienced any faults or issues with there lung tune causing Ford to knock back warranty? I have a 2017 auto GT vert... anyone had to deal with Ford for a warranty issues that was caused by the Lund tune? Ps. Don't want to start any issues, fights or arguments... just want to work out if it's worth it for me to do.
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Any tune can void your warranty, doesn't matter who or how it's done.

By law they need to show that the tune caused issues that wouldn't have happened without it, but in reality its often hard to get dealers to actually warranty repair drive line issues when you have an aftermarket tune.

All other issues, like say the aircon fails, will not be affected.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Yeah makes sence bud, has anyone here had any issues with there cars due to the Lund tune?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah makes sence bud, has anyone here had any issues with there cars due to the Lund tune?
I'm in contact with a LOT of guys (and girls) running a Lund tune. None have had any issues caused by the tune.
The only issues I'm aware of are:

Unable to load tune (faulty cable on the tuning device)

Catalytic converters destroyed (using ghost cams with cats fitted, which Lund absolutely advise agsinst doing, always have, always will)

Fans running more than factory (this is normal, cooler engines go faster)

That's about it. :shrug:

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Thanks burkey, I think I will go down the path of doing the Lund tune, x pipe or cat back and a bluepower airbox...

Sponsored

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I have only heard positive things about Lund and just wanted to make sure or should I say double check that no one has had any issues...

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
How do the guys at Lund get the tune so right without a dyno? No ever mustang goes the same, I keep getting told mine is a freak... how do I know it won't go backwards? Get what im trying to say? Any info would be muchly appreciated.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How do the guys at Lund get the tune so right without a dyno? No ever mustang goes the same, I keep getting told mine is a freak... how do I know it won't go backwards? Get what im trying to say? Any info would be muchly appreciated.
Let's break this down...

"I keep getting told mine is a freak" - based on what? Are you lining your car up against cars with identical mods, identical fuel loads etc and roll racing them to compare?

"How do they get it so right without a dyno?" - what's the difference between an actual road and a rolling road?
There are plenty of tuners here in Australia who have a dyno and yet somehow consistently produce inferior tunes. I won't name them, but they are some of the well known names.
It has a lot less to do with the method (road vs dyno) and a hell of a lot more to do with the strategies implemented by the tuner.

"How do I know it won't go backwards?" - you'd be the first to see it happen.

I'm not saying Lund are the only ones who can produce a good tune.
If I didn't have the the relationship I did with them I'd also be looking at Ken Bjonnes (palm beach dyno) and Shawn (AED). Good reports AND results from all of them.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I also have a convertible GT with a Lund tune. If you search my user name on here I did a write up of my experience with the Lund tune -and yes guys like Burkey have helped us all.

Any problems (as opposed to preferences) -none
Worth getting -yes
Is it perfect -no, but the Lund guys will help you (fan speed, shift change pressure to name 2)

I have actually come to the conclusion that the remaining issue I have with the tune is the rev matching on up shift -the tune on upshifts sets the revs higher than the speed needs them to be -so the car lurches forward on upshift. You can drive around this other than when accelerating flat out in the first to second change where wheel spin is almost unavoidable (not good for my search for 0-100k performance). Almost thinking about talking to Lund to see if we can change it a bit.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Let's break this down...

"I keep getting told mine is a freak" - based on what? Are you lining your car up against cars with identical mods, identical fuel loads etc and roll racing them to compare?

"How do they get it so right without a dyno?" - what's the difference between an actual road and a rolling road?
There are plenty of tuners here in Australia who have a dyno and yet somehow consistently produce inferior tunes. I won't name them, but they are some of the well known names.
It has a lot less to do with the method (road vs dyno) and a hell of a lot more to do with the strategies implemented by the tuner.

"How do I know it won't go backwards?" - you'd be the first to see it happen.

I'm not saying Lund are the only ones who can produce a good tune.
If I didn't have the the relationship I did with them I'd also be looking at Ken Bjonnes (palm beach dyno) and Shawn (AED). Good reports AND results from all of them.
Who ever has been in my car asks me what's done to it... it just pulls and pulls and keeps pulling. I totally understand where your coming from in terms of the tune...

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
To answer your point around what happens if the tune isnt better than your standard ford tune. The Lund process via the NGuage saves your stock tune file so that you can replace the Lund tune with the stock tune any time you like.

The whole installing a tune process takes about 3 minutes.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
To answer your point around what happens if the tune isnt better than your standard ford tune. The Lund process via the NGuage saves your stock tune file so that you can replace the Lund tune with the stock tune any time you like.

The whole installing a tune process takes about 3 minutes.
Yeah I guess your right... that's one way to look at it.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Who ever has been in my car asks me what's done to it... it just pulls and pulls and keeps pulling. I totally understand where your coming from in terms of the tune...
I know what you mean. Cars always feel faster when you don't have the steering wheel. I'd be absolutely shocked if your car made 10rwkw more than the average. Tolerances just aren't that loose anymore.
Also, absolutely IGNORE dyno sheets and rear wheel figures. Please. Plenty of cars are producing all kinds of numbers yet fail to deliver what they promise in the real world. Lund STILL have the 3 fastest NA cars in Oz.
On to the revision process...
What myself and others have done is this:
Get basic 91-93 (US) tune. That'll keep it under the tax threshold.
It also give you 3 months to dial it in (on a manual, it won't take anywhere near that long).
Once that's sorted, get the flex tune (if that's what you want to do). You'll get another 3 months to sort that out.
This is where the REAL difference happens. The way the car pulls in the lower rpm on e85 is just EPIC. Traction becomes a very distant memory. :headbang:
Sponsored