LSPI - EcoBoom - Intercooler

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Just a quick thought after searching a ton on different topics.

With a stock intercooler that heat soaks quick, the timing is pulled as we know which causes power drop. Stepping up to a big intercooler helps lower intake temps which keeps the timing advanced, fuel in it and more power. So, wondering if there's a correlation to ecoboom and stepping up the intercooler and tuning? If it's pre-det then cooling the air temps more, allowing the timing to be more advanced, would exacerbate that wouldn't it?

I'm running Livernois tune on my 50k mile 2016 and have been since nearly day 1 after buying new and I use only the best synthetic oil with regular maintenance. I am very hard on it, driving wise.

Have been searching to decide on a catted vs catless dp and want to go catless then swap out every couple years for inspection, since I only want it for power gains. Searching for that brought me to the thought of the boom problem.

We only have 91 here, so my tune is a 91 tune. They gave me a 100 octane tune as we have a couple stations that pump it but I've quit running it with the 15/16 problems. The interesting thing about the low speed accelerating is, if you use the cruise control a lot, you'll see it shifts keeping the rpms as low as possible.

So to try and put a defense up, would it be appropriate to run an octane boost? I have discovered a new sensor, the one on CJPP Part # BU5Z-9F972-B. I will swap that out as well. Maybe I'll start using sport mode a little more to keep the rpms up a little to try and prevent the lower speed boost. I'll probably go ahead with a catless DP as that shouldn't really have a bearing on it.
Ecoboom is because of the weak cylinder walls of in the 2.3s. Ford skimped out on the early years of the Ecoboost. I bought mine brand new in 2015 and they have been pinning the issue on a lot of causes. From what info i've gathered it's the slim cylinder walls which plague the 2.3 in the Eco Mustang and Focus RS.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sredish

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Ecoboom is because of the weak cylinder walls of in the 2.3s. Ford skimped out on the early years of the Ecoboost. I bought mine brand new in 2015 and they have been pinning the issue on a lot of causes. From what info i've gathered it's the slim cylinder walls which plague the 2.3 in the Eco Mustang and Focus RS.
yea, i get that but there's something else that's factored in that is the catalyst? an aggressive tune, maybe a tune that's not taking as much timing out so all coupled together. think i mentioned, i've been running a livernois since day 1 w/ 45k miles currently and have never had a knock, cel or any questionable issues where some of the booms have reported an intermittent cel for knock on occasion prior to a boom. thinking it could be a tune issue and after talking with livernois, they feel the same, that it's aggressive tuning not retarding the timing when it should, coupled with a low rpm with boost knock, then boom.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
yea, i get that but there's something else that's factored in that is the catalyst? an aggressive tune, maybe a tune that's not taking as much timing out so all coupled together. think i mentioned, i've been running a livernois since day 1 w/ 45k miles currently and have never had a knock, cel or any questionable issues where some of the booms have reported an intermittent cel for knock on occasion prior to a boom. thinking it could be a tune issue and after talking with livernois, they feel the same, that it's aggressive tuning not retarding the timing when it should, coupled with a low rpm with boost knock, then boom.
I know of plenty of stock cars that blew. It's the design. Also there was a rumor that some of the earlier models were built with a poor quality headgasket. I have not heard of any 18+ cars blowing.
Sponsored