Sponsored

Lowering Springs for Convertible?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I posted this message on the suspension thread, but didn't really get much feedback. So I'll give it a try here.

Recently bought a very low miles (3900) 2017 GT Convertible auto. The car will be a cruiser, road trip car. The suspension does not thrill me. I feel like the spring rates are acceptable for my purposes, but the shocks/struts offer little control, i.e., very "jiggly", etc. I rented a 2020 EB Convertible last year, and that suspension was even worse than the GT. I also have a 2018 EB Perf Pack Coupe 6spd. I replaced the EB PP suspension at about 20K miles with a Ford Perf Track Pack kit, since this car sees some HPDE duty. I thought the 2018 EB PP suspension was great on the street. I'm wondering how this suspension setup would perform on the 2017 GT Vert? I think the shocks/struts alone would be an improvement. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Is the convertible just a DD?

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this message on the suspension thread, but didn't really get much feedback. So I'll give it a try here.

Recently bought a very low miles (3900) 2017 GT Convertible auto. The car will be a cruiser, road trip car. The suspension does not thrill me. I feel like the spring rates are acceptable for my purposes, but the shocks/struts offer little control, i.e., very "jiggly", etc. I rented a 2020 EB Convertible last year, and that suspension was even worse than the GT. I also have a 2018 EB Perf Pack Coupe 6spd. I replaced the EB PP suspension at about 20K miles with a Ford Perf Track Pack kit, since this car sees some HPDE duty. I thought the 2018 EB PP suspension was great on the street. I'm wondering how this suspension setup would perform on the 2017 GT Vert? I think the shocks/struts alone would be an improvement. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.
Contact BMR... I did BMR lowering springs, Steeda IRS alignment sleeves and it really helped a lot. You have to be careful with the Vert in regards to drop, even more so than a coupe. These cars do not like big changes in suspension dynamics.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should check out TJ's vert build at Steeda. Some good info what he did to his vert.

CVCAshmere
For clarification, my question isn't "what's a good set up for a GT convertible". I'm really trying to get some info on how the 2018 EB PP suspension would work on a 2017 GT convertible. I understand that if I want to buy new components, there are a lot of great options out there.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
For clarification, my question isn't "what's a good set up for a GT convertible". I'm really trying to get some info on how the 2018 EB PP suspension would work on a 2017 GT convertible. I understand that if I want to buy new components, there are a lot of great options out there.

Thanks.
Call BMR...

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Great question...will a 2018 PP strut/shock from a Ecoboost set work on a 2017 GT vert.

Here's my opinion:
First off, the vert weights 200 lbs more minimum than the coupe it came from. Next, the automatic will weigh 60-80 lbs more than a manual. Next, the GT front end will be heavier than an Ecoboost front end (CJPony claims a weight difference of 3,543 lbs for the EB versus 3,705 lbs for the GT.

My hunch is that the PP springs off an Ecoboost would be overtaxed and sit too low.

Your option would be to use performance pack springs from a GT coupe. If you lived closer, I would sell you front & rear PP GT springs for $40. Then, add some Steeda non-adjustable shocks.

Note: since you live in Wisconsin, shipping of my springs would be prohibitive. There might be a local set nearer to you. Steeda shocks would be a nice match whether you change your suspension or leave it stock.

Thanks

CVCashmere
I do not receive any compensation for my opinions...but there's always a first time!!

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great question...will a 2018 PP strut/shock from a Ecoboost set work on a 2017 GT vert.

Here's my opinion:
First off, the vert weights 200 lbs more minimum than the coupe it came from. Next, the automatic will weigh 60-80 lbs more than a manual. Next, the GT front end will be heavier than an Ecoboost front end (CJPony claims a weight difference of 3,543 lbs for the EB versus 3,705 lbs for the GT.

My hunch is that the PP springs off an Ecoboost would be overtaxed and sit too low.

Your option would be to use performance pack springs from a GT coupe. If you lived closer, I would sell you front & rear PP GT springs for $40. Then, add some Steeda non-adjustable shocks.

Note: since you live in Wisconsin, shipping of my springs would be prohibitive. There might be a local set nearer to you. Steeda shocks would be a nice match whether you change your suspension or leave it stock.

Thanks

CVCashmere
I do not receive any compensation for my opinions...but there's always a first time!!
It is an interesting question, and unfortunately there is very little "official" spec data available, especially for the Ecoboost. I did put a caliper on the springs of my '17 GT vert and the Eco PP coupe. They are the same diameter. Maybe that equates to same spring rates, maybe not? I know the shocks/struts are different. The rear sway bar is also larger on the Eco PP. I think what I will do is essentially a Ford Performance "Street" setup. To do this, all I need is the FP 1" lowering springs, since I already have the PP shocks/struts and larger rear bar. I think this combined with the BMR front chassis brace should provide me with what I'm looking for, and for less than $500 out of pocket. (BTW, I'm in IL, unfortunately)

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I installed the FPP Track Handling Kit which includes lowering springs, beefed-up front and back sway bars and a new rear toe link. IMO, you would be advised to also upgrade the sway bars to reduce body roll. The Steeda price of the kit was very attractive, and the specs of the components compare favorably with those offered by BMR and Steeda. Steeda also offers this sort of kit, and one could otherwise build out their own kit from individual BMR or Steeda components, or investigate Steeda's bundlings. I feel strongly that you should at least replace your struts and shocks if you install lowering springs

I also installed a strut tower brace (lots of options out there; mine is an obscure product that fits with my supercharger) and a BMR K-member brace, both of which greatly improved the rigidity of the front subframe (the Mustang chassis is a bit squishy for those who like spirited driving). These mods have provided me with much more sharp handling, which has been most notable in turns.

One thing to look out for with the lowering of the car is that it will alter the suspension geometry, which will give rise to such phenomena as bumpsteer, nose diving on turns and poor tire wear. I addressed this with Steeda's bumpsteer kit, front control arm lateral & tension links and camber bolts. At some point I will replace the bolts with camber plates

Another suggestion is that, subject to overriding considerations of practicalities and finances, one should try to put in modifications incrementally so as to isolate the change they produce so that you can better understand the static and dynamic properties of the vehicle.

The harshness of my ride has definitely increased, but not to the point of intolerability. For instance, speed bumps now require making an additional reduction in velocity. I

I feel as though my mods took a sporty everyman's car with a big engine and turned into a true powerful sports cabriolet. .....I AM LOVING IT!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the FPP Track Handling Kit which includes lowering springs, beefed-up front and back sway bars and a new rear toe link. IMO, you would be advised to also upgrade the sway bars to reduce body roll. The Steeda price of the kit was very attractive, and the specs of the components compare favorably with those offered by BMR and Steeda. Steeda also offers this sort of kit, and one could otherwise build out their own kit from individual BMR or Steeda components, or investigate Steeda's bundlings. I feel strongly that you should at least replace your struts and shocks if you install lowering springs

I also installed a strut tower brace (lots of options out there; mine is an obscure product that fits with my supercharger) and a BMR K-member brace, both of which greatly improved the rigidity of the front subframe (the Mustang chassis is a bit squishy for those who like spirited driving). These mods have provided me with much more sharp handling, which has been most notable in turns.

One thing to look out for with the lowering of the car is that it will alter the suspension geometry, which will give rise to such phenomena as bumpsteer, nose diving on turns and poor tire wear. I addressed this with Steeda's bumpsteer kit, front control arm lateral & tension links and camber bolts. At some point I will replace the bolts with camber plates

Another suggestion is that, subject to overriding considerations of practicalities and finances, one should try to put in modifications incrementally so as to isolate the change they produce so that you can better understand the static and dynamic properties of the vehicle.

The harshness of my ride has definitely increased, but not to the point of intolerability. For instance, speed bumps now require making an additional reduction in velocity. I

I feel as though my mods took a sporty everyman's car with a big engine and turned into a true powerful sports cabriolet. .....I AM LOVING IT!!
I installed the Ford Performance Track Pack on my '18 Eco Coupe, along with camber bolts. I love this setup on this car, which also sees some track duty. But it's not what I'm looking for on my GT vert. I think by using the Perf Pack shocks & struts from the Coupe, and the heavier PP rear bar, with the FP street 1" lowering springs, and the BMR K brace, that should hit the spot.

Torey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Hi Guys,
Just purchased a 2017 GT Convertible. My last ride was a 2016 coupe. I had installed Eibach Pro lowering springs on my 2016 and really like them. They were just a tad bit harsher on really bad bumps but otherwise ran just like stock with much better stance and handling.
For some reason I am hesitating to install them on my convertible. The ride is really smooth, but I can tell that the handling (body roll) and dive/squat is present. I guess my main concern with the convertible is the extra weight and whether the drop would affect ride quality more do to the progressive nature of the springs. Any input would be appreciated. I hope I am not coming down with a bad case of "mod phobia" :eyebulge:🤷
2018 GT PP! w/ magneride. I used steedas progressive with an 1/8 billet spacer in back. The verts sit lower in the back than a coupe due to the extra weight and the spacer made the wheel gap line up perfect with the front. The car looks great but there is a sacrafice in ride quality. i know everyone likes to say there isnt, but there is.