Sponsored

Low Pitched Grinding Sound When Turning

MHs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6
Wait.... the car was delivered from the factory with a low quantity of the wrong fluid in the trans???!!!
Any updates on this issue? did you take your car back to the dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
No, I haven't but I probably will soon. It feels to me like its getting worse. I really hate to start playing the no-problem-found service game so I kind of have to force myself to get it looked at.

MHs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6
No, I haven't but I probably will soon. It feels to me like its getting worse. I really hate to start playing the no-problem-found service game so I kind of have to force myself to get it looked at.
you will probably have to leave it at the dealer overnight so they can test it on a cold start. That's what I did. I asked and got a loaner from them.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The weird thing is, over the weekend here in the south we had some wicked cold temperatures (20 degrees) and I did not hear the noise. Today it was 55 and I did not hear it.

GaryC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EB Premium, 201A Ruby Red
I know this thread is old but glad I found it! I haven't seen many accurate search results for the noise I have been experiencing lately, until this thread. I have this same kind of rear diff noise that started happening this last fall, was intermittent but now I hear it each morning during the first couple minutes of driving / turning. I've just hit 15K miles and the eco is 1.5 years old. Guess I'll replace the gear lube and add a friction modifier and see what happens. I changed the rear diff lube in my pickup a couple years ago and started getting a binding / vibration in the diff while turning. I realized I never added the required friction modifier, so I changed the lube added the friction stuff and problem immediately disappeared and hasn't returned. I'm hoping for similar results for my Mustang.

Sponsored

MHs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6
I know this thread is old but glad I found it! I haven't seen many accurate search results for the noise I have been experiencing lately, until this thread. I have this same kind of rear diff noise that started happening this last fall, was intermittent but now I hear it each morning during the first couple minutes of driving / turning. I've just hit 15K miles and the eco is 1.5 years old. Guess I'll replace the gear lube and add a friction modifier and see what happens. I changed the rear diff lube in my pickup a couple years ago and started getting a binding / vibration in the diff while turning. I realized I never added the required friction modifier, so I changed the lube added the friction stuff and problem immediately disappeared and hasn't returned. I'm hoping for similar results for my Mustang.

I still have the problem. My v6 is 33K miles now. two years ago I took it in and they were able to reproduce the problem they changed the friction modifier but the problem came back few months ago. I took it to two different dealers to have it checked out before my warranty was up but they could not reproduce the problem. Now my warranty expired and I do still hear the sound on turns more frequently. I am wondering if the friction modifier is just temporarily treating the symptoms of a bigger issue with the differential. Please keep us updated. Thanks!

GaryC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have the problem. My v6 is 33K miles now. two years ago I took it in and they were able to reproduce the problem they changed the friction modifier but the problem came back few months ago. I took it to two different dealers to have it checked out before my warranty was up but they could not reproduce the problem. Now my warranty expired and I do still hear the sound on turns more frequently. I am wondering if the friction modifier is just temporarily treating the symptoms of a bigger issue with the differential. Please keep us updated. Thanks!
That's a hard one to say, maybe the friction modifier breaks down after a couple years. I finally replaced the differential gear lube and added the friction modifier that the dealer gave me. It's been very cold here lately and the rear diff is now VERY quiet. The gear oil I drained out was pretty much black, and there was a small amount of metal particles on the drain plug magnet. So I'm good to go now but wonder if this is a chore I'm gonna need to do every couple years going forward. I will let you know if the noise returns.

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ecobeast PP 2016
That's a hard one to say, maybe the friction modifier breaks down after a couple years. I finally replaced the differential gear lube and added the friction modifier that the dealer gave me. It's been very cold here lately and the rear diff is now VERY quiet. The gear oil I drained out was pretty much black, and there was a small amount of metal particles on the drain plug magnet. So I'm good to go now but wonder if this is a chore I'm gonna need to do every couple years going forward. I will let you know if the noise returns.
Is your Ecoboost an Auto transmission ? Mine is an Ecoboost Auto PP and it is making the same noise.
Dealer says it's a common noise during the mornings :thumbsdown: so I'm planning to take this up to myself and change the gear lube and add fiction modifier.

GaryC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your Ecoboost an Auto transmission ? Mine is an Ecoboost Auto PP and it is making the same noise.
Dealer says it's a common noise during the mornings :thumbsdown: so I'm planning to take this up to myself and change the gear lube and add fiction modifier.
It may be a common noise but is nice to get rid of it. Yes it's got the auto trans but no PP so I'm not positive our diff's are the same. It's easy to do if you have some ramps to back up on, there is a lower drain plug & an upper fill plug. The lube specs are in the owners manual.

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
Glad I found this thread also. 2018 EB Premium A10 33k miles. Rubbing/scrubbing sound when turning left, usually in the morning. It's still in the 40's here in the mornings. Definitely worse the colder it is. Dealer says it might be differential clutch plates, but after reading all this commentary it seems like maybe I just need to change the diff fluid.

My main concern is that I'm getting close to the 3/36 warranty. Is the differential covered under 3/36 or 5/60 drivetrain? Willing to try out the differential service only to see if that works for a week or so, then bring it in for the clutch plate/warranty service.

Sponsored

ptfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Plamen
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT '20
Very helpful thread guys. Mine '20 GT, started at around 10k km. The first time I noticed it was in the morning after a couple of hours drive through heavy rain on the previous day.

Thought It'll go away, may be some dirt, but almost 3000km later, still does it in the mornings/evenings, sometimes its a very light rubbing, sometimes way more pronounced. I'm now planning a fluid change as most of you suggested.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My V-6 started to "groan" when turning in 9-19 @13k mi. especially when first started Changed the fluid to Mobil 1 75-90 and Trans X posi additive. The OE fluid looked fine. Did some figure 8's. Noise greatly diminished and in 300 miles was gone. Car has 22k miles now.
Sponsored