Lost traction on the highway

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I definitely want to get some advanced training.

This combo of engine and transmission is still rather new. As cautious of a driver as I am I wonder how many people will get into serious trouble?

I could see someone gunning to 6K, then panic counter steering the wrong way and jamming the brakes.

The car puts power down really fast even in normal mode. Which I haven't typically seen in an automatic.
Honestly it's situations like that where I really, really think we ought to have tiered licensing based on the power/accelerative capability of the vehicle. A decent start would be anything over 350 hp that's not a light truck requires added training/instruction. People will scream about freedom, but in the end we share the roads together. There are so many people I don't want in a 460+ hp Mustang due to their inexperience and/or ineptitude.

But to the point: absolutely go get some time wheeling the car at the limit in a controlled environment. You get to the point where you're already anticipating the movement/slide before it happens, and it's second nature/muscle memory rather than delayed and reactive.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This is the #1 reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a new 19 A10, I am scared to not be in control of the throttle and gear I'm in at any time. When I start sliding sideways wet or dry I can either let off the gas and know what gear my car is in or I can clutch and shift into the next gear while gaining traction in between shifts. To me a car with this much power needs to be controlled with 3 pedals. Keep hearing stories of this new 10 speed lunging as they shift erratically.. no bueno!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This combo of engine and transmission is still rather new. As cautious of a driver as I am I wonder how many people will get into serious trouble?
Thee way I see it, any time you have a "holy shit, this thing is FAST" moment, you've at least momentarily stepped outside what your skill set can support.

Norm

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This is the #1 reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a new 19 A10, I am scared to not be in control of the throttle and gear I'm in at any time. When I start sliding sideways wet or dry I can either let off the gas and know what gear my car is in or I can clutch and shift into the next gear while gaining traction in between shifts. To me a car with this much power needs to be controlled with 3 pedals. Keep hearing stories of this new 10 speed lunging as they shift erratically.. no bueno!
I wouldn't blame the A10 so much. I just got on it too abruptly in bad conditions. After I let off the throttle the transmission held on to the gear. I'm not sure how much the traction control got involved.

I think it would be nice if the snow/wet mode was easier to enter but I also prefer a consistent response.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Honestly it's situations like that where I really, really think we ought to have tiered licensing based on the power/accelerative capability of the vehicle. A decent start would be anything over 350 hp that's not a light truck requires added training/instruction. People will scream about freedom, but in the end we share the roads together. There are so many people I don't want in a 460+ hp Mustang due to their inexperience and/or ineptitude.

But to the point: absolutely go get some time wheeling the car at the limit in a controlled environment. You get to the point where you're already anticipating the movement/slide before it happens, and it's second nature/muscle memory rather than delayed and reactive.
No way that would happen though. Especially since some people that buy high performance cars have more money than sense. These days, more and more people are lacking common sense...

The rich still make all the decisions in our country and everybody else is left to suffer... Whoops, just realized I'm talking about politics now and I hate politics. :doh:

Sponsored

XPystchrisX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
No way that would happen though. Especially since some people that buy high performance cars have more money than sense. These days, more and more people are lacking common sense...

The corporations still make all the decisions in our country and everybody else is left to suffer... Whoops, just realized I'm talking about politics now and I hate politics. :doh:
Fixed that for you.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Reactions: Ebm

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've had quite a few moments like these driving in the winter. At some point, I had to turn both the Traction and Stability nannies off because the car kept understeering unexpectedly in the snow. This caused the rear-end to go all over the place but at least the traction would break in expected ways and the car countersteers well enough. In really low traction, I constantly try to break traction very briefly to see where the limit is. Winter driving is a great way to learn a car.

In general, I think the car needs "more" grip but I enjoy the feeling of having to respect the throttle at all times ($ is a factor).

I haven't driven other cars as close to the limit as I have with my GT but I find it very "floaty" when it's coasting (on stock chassis setup) i.e. I can see how people could get into trouble because the car isn't really "telling" you that it's about to get loose when it's settled on the highway even when applying sudden throttle which is especially true after 4500RPM. Probably something to do with stock spring rates.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I haven't driven other cars as close to the limit as I have with my GT but I find it very "floaty" when it's coasting (on stock chassis setup) i.e. I can see how people could get into trouble because the car isn't really "telling" you that it's about to get loose when it's settled on the highway even when applying sudden throttle which is especially true after 4500RPM. Probably something to do with stock spring rates.
I'm inclined to blame EPAS, shock/strut damping that's biased more toward comfort than performance, and higher levels of NVH reduction. The driver is more isolated from what's happening down at the four contact patches.

Norm

Reactions: F0J

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I have run track days in (hard) rain with 235 Michelin AS3. 120 mph on back straight MSR Houston with Whipple at 8psi. You want a narrow tire footprint w high void ratio and high tread depth to increase the force per area to get penetration thru water to the surface.

With proper tires for conditions and rainx windshield for visibility: Its like time is standing still and you can drive around others like Neo in the Matrix. I realize not everyone has room for multiple sets of tires in garage for various conditions, but for those that do...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've had quite a few moments like these driving in the winter. At some point, I had to turn both the Traction and Stability nannies off because the car kept understeering unexpectedly in the snow. This caused the rear-end to go all over the place but at least the traction would break in expected ways and the car countersteers well enough. In really low traction, I constantly try to break traction very briefly to see where the limit is. Winter driving is a great way to learn a car.

In general, I think the car needs "more" grip but I enjoy the feeling of having to respect the throttle at all times ($ is a factor).

Stock, the car is very floaty and IMO, difficult to drive spirited with confidence. It doesn't communicate what the tires are doing well, nor do the front and rear feel connected. It doesn't take much to fix that, fortunately.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have run track days in (hard) rain with 235 Michelin AS3. 120 mph on back straight MSR Houston with Whipple at 8psi. You want a narrow tire footprint w high void ratio and high tread depth to increase the force per area to get penetration thru water to the surface.
Maybe at your power level having a bit more cushion is a good thing. But I can personally attest to the opinion that speeds in the one-teens on 285/35 MPSS tires is entirely do-able even in a downpour. With at least a few more mph being realistically possible if I had a few more HP to work with or the straight was a little longer.

Norm

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Maybe at your power level having a bit more cushion is a good thing. But I can personally attest to the opinion that speeds in the one-teens on 285/35 MPSS tires is entirely do-able even in a downpour. With at least a few more mph being realistically possible if I had a few more HP to work with or the straight was a little longer.

Norm
What tread depth?

Thanks!

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10

Norm
That is one hell of an endorsement.
Sponsored