Sponsored

Lost Compression in cyl 7&8 Mystery Solved!

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Well, It's been a while since I lost compression in cylinders 7 & 8. The car has been sitting for months waiting on the new shortblock, parts, etc. I finally got the energy to start taking it all apart. It's a lot of work by yourself. lol

(for those who don't know, 13k miles on the car, 9k of which procharged. I did not baby it. Lots of roll races to near 160mph.)

Here are the results of the teardown...

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Cylinders 7 & 8 on the right, which is drivers side near firewall.

picture.jpg

And the answer is... When I first pulled the piston out, I could barely see the cracks, then I pried the broken pieces out.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Both pistons broke in the same exact spot. And that side is at the top of the motor. All the rings are intact and solid.

picture.jpg

New Shortblock going in. Brand new block, Manley I beams, Manley forged pistons, Boss 302 Crank, ARP everything.

picture.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh...Those Coated Manley pistons look sick!

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Nice. Keep up the motivation. I do all of my work myself as well. Sometimes it's tough but hang int there!

Built not bought!

FLYIN4D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Crackerjack,

How did the cylinder bores, cyl head chambers, crank journals, rods and bearings look on those two holes? Damn that almost looks like you were throwing nitrous at it - those pistons saw some detnation/rattled in those holes. New shortblock setup for boost I'm sure. Nice work.

Sponsored

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
What fuel and boost?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Piston rings butted from getting hot. They are pretty tight from the factory, along with the bearing clearances. Detonation didn't do that.

Are your cam lobes blue or is that an illusion?

JC500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange
So it looks like a cherry picker and you can pull the engine out from top . I thought you only could drop it out from bottom with car o. Lift . Good work

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Well, It's been a while since I lost compression in cylinders 7 & 8. The car has been sitting for months waiting on the new shortblock, parts, etc. I finally got the energy to start taking it all apart. It's a lot of work by yourself. lol

(for those who don't know, 13k miles on the car, 9k of which procharged. I did not baby it. Lots of roll races to near 160mph.)

Here are the results of the teardown...
Great choice on the setup. Who built the shortblock?

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Piston rings butted from getting hot. They are pretty tight from the factory, along with the bearing clearances. Detonation didn't do that.

What failed on the one in your car? Did you keep the shortblock?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What failed on the one in your car? Did you keep the shortblock?

Two connecting rod bearings spun. Welded themselves to the crank. Gave the shortblock back to ford for the core. Cheaper to buy a shortblock then to machine and repair the old one.

OP
OP
Crackerjack17

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Crackerjack,

How did the cylinder bores, cyl head chambers, crank journals, rods and bearings look on those two holes? Damn that almost looks like you were throwing nitrous at it - those pistons saw some detnation/rattled in those holes. New shortblock setup for boost I'm sure. Nice work.
The crank and rod bearings look perfect. They are super smooth. That little mark in this bearing picture is a light scuff mark and you cannot feel it. All the cylinders have those vertical scratch marks, you can't feel them. I'll have to take some pictures of the cylinder heads, but they look perfect too. I had to pry those pieces out of the pistons. Engine ran fine and was very smooth, but had a lot of blowby and compression was down.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

OP
OP
Crackerjack17

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It was lund tuned, logs were perfect, 93 octane. Hitting up to 11-13 psi at 7500 rpm. Most time though it was 10-11 psi.

OP
OP
Crackerjack17

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

Must be an illusion. Cam lobes have regular wear. Super smooth.
Sponsored

Last edited: