Looking for Feedback on Wheel-Tire Plan

rbenedetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAV
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator, Ford Explorer
Greetings. I am waiting for a Mach 1 to arrive. I don’t plan on driving it through the snow, but I do plan on driving it on dry days in the winter. I’m not too keen on the summer tires, so I am planning to buy an extra set of 19" x 10.5" rims and then fit the car with 305/30R19 all season tires all around, so that the car has a square vs staggered configuration. I will keep this configuration throughout the year, because I do not perceive a need for Summer Only tires, and I would like to be able to rotate the tires from front to back to help with longevity. Does anyone have an opinion on the trade off in performance and handling with a square vs staggered configuration? (Aside from Summer vs All Season tires on a dry summer day, of course). Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
What is a 305/R19 rim?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
What is a 305/R19 rim?
I’m confused as well.
@rbenedetti you planning on putting all season on the HP wheels or are you buying a dedicated set of 19” wheels for the all seasons?
my advice, or at least what I would do is keep the sport cups on the HP wheels or better yet swap them to michelin 4s. Then get a set of wheels off a non-HP Mach and put all season on those. The narrower widths will give you more options as far as tires. And you’ll still have a set of good performance for the summer months. If you’re staying with staggered width wheels I would keep staggered sized tires. Otherwise I think it looks a little off and at least at one end of the car you’re not running the ideal tire size for those two wheels.

OP
OP

rbenedetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAV
Vehicle(s)
I’m confused as well.
@rbenedetti you planning on putting all season on the HP wheels or are you buying a dedicated set of 19” wheels for the all seasons?
my advice, or at least what I would do is keep the sport cups on the HP wheels or better yet swap them to michelin 4s. Then get a set of wheels off a non-HP Mach and put all season on those. The narrower widths will give you more options as far as tires. And you’ll still have a set of good performance for the summer months. If you’re staying with staggered width wheels I would keep staggered sized tires. Otherwise I think it looks a little off and at least at one end of the car you’re not running the ideal tire size for those two wheels.
My bad. I meant 19 " x 10.5" rims, meaning that I would put the same size wheels and tires (ie the front ones) all around. To your point, there aren't a lot of A/S tires in the 305/30R19 tires, though I did find one, so was hoping to be able to stick with the same factory rims, just with a square setup. I am kind of loathe to swap tires on/off between hot and cold seasons, so was looking for a permanent solution.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
My bad. I meant 19 " x 10.5" rims, meaning that I would put the same size wheels and tires (ie the front ones) all around. To your point, there aren't a lot of A/S tires in the 305/30R19 tires, though I did find one, so was hoping to be able to stick with the same factory rims, just with a square setup. I am kind of loathe to swap tires on/off between hot and cold seasons, so was looking for a permanent solution.
Makes sense. Just to clarify, I wouldn’t want to swap tires either. In fact I wouldn’t do that. But would you be against swapping wheel/tire setups? That’s not all that bad to do twice a year. Do you have anything against the staggered setup? I can tell you on the HP Mach it looks so freaking awesome. If I was needing all seasons I personally would get some take off wheels from the base Mach and run factory sizes in michelin a/s 4’s. I know not what you were thinking but it would allow to you maximize your winter and summer setups as opposed to giving up a little all year round.

*edited to add* were you planning on mounting front HP wheels on the rear? If so double check the offsets because they might fit weird. I don’t know this to be true just thinking out loud

OP
OP

rbenedetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAV
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense. Just to clarify, I wouldn’t want to swap tires either. In fact I wouldn’t do that. But would you be against swapping wheel/tire setups? That’s not all that bad to do twice a year. Do you have anything against the staggered setup? I can tell you on the HP Mach it looks so freaking awesome. If I was needing all seasons I personally would get some take off wheels from the base Mach and run factory sizes in michelin a/s 4’s. I know not what you were thinking but it would allow to you maximize your winter and summer setups as opposed to giving up a little all year round.

*edited to add* were you planning on mounting front HP wheels on the rear? If so double check the offsets because they might fit weird. I don’t know this to be true just thinking out loud
Yeah. I am with you. Perhaps I will just buy stock non-HP rims and mount A/S tires on them and then swap the wheels (rims + tires) every season. I kind of like the stock GT rims better than the stock non-HP rims. I will also check out the Michelins. Thanks buddy.
Sponsored