Sponsored

Looked at a 2016 GT350 today! Buying advice?

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I bought a 2016 Tech Pack and it doesn't use any oil. I added the trans cooler. All GT350's come with oil coolers. I tracked mine and once I added the trans cooler had no issues. Get a warranty if you can for peace of mind.
Sponsored

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
+1 for checking out the Enthusiasts Garage YouTube channel. Watch all his videos on the GT350 to date and nearly all of your questions will be answered, plus you'll have a decent list of things to look for/add to the car in quick order if needed (namely jacking rails, Sliplos, rock guards, and a few other things).

OP
OP

Rbp_280z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang 5.0
I appreciate all the replies. I found a one owner 2016 GT350 with 23,000 miles in Honda dealership in another state
IMG_6381.jpeg
. I had only one concern. I asked for the service records and one thing that caught my eye was they used 0w-20. The sales manager said this is the proper weight for the hot 100 degrees weather. Is this right?

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I appreciate all the replies. I found a one owner 2016 GT350 with 23,000 miles in Honda dealership in another state
IMG_6381.jpeg
. I had only one concern. I asked for the service records and one thing that caught my eye was they used 0w-20. The sales manager said this is the proper weight for the hot 100 degrees weather. Is this right?
I wouldn't run that in my 350!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There’s only three quarts on that list of 0-20. And there’s 10 quarts of 5-50. I’d bet that was purchased if it ever was low and wasn’t even used for the oil change. They probably didn’t have singles of the 5-50. That’s assuming the list is even accurate. That wouldn’t cause me any concern. Add a Ford warranty if you want the added security and enjoy it. That’s also assuming the car itself checks out cosmetically and so forth. Have an oasis pulled as well.

IMG_6381.jpeg

Sponsored

CoachFarb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT 50 Years Limited Edition
You can buy an extended warranty through Ford. I just purchased a 6 year , 40,000 mile Ford Premium Care warranty for less than $1,600 on my 2015 GT through Ziegler.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So what I read in the list is this:

N2K091 - The tires have nitrogen in them
94109-14000 - this is a Honda sealing washer for an oil sump drain plug that a GT350 doesn't have.
S2903 - an STP aftermarket oil filter that will fit on a Voodoo but it'll unscrew and fall off after a few miles of driving.
XO5W50QGT - the correct Motorcraft oil for a Voodoo
08798-TABS - cleaner tablets for the windshield washer reservoir
VC13G - Motorcraft Yellow coolant that's the current upgraded coolant spec for the Voodoo engine

The only ringer in the list is the oil drain plug sealing washer because the GT350 Voodoo engine doesn't use one. It has a plastic drain plug with an o-ring. If the engine actually needs one of those aluminum rings then it's not a real GT350.

As for the oil filter, presuming it's a real Voodoo engine, that thing needs to be replaced with a genuine Motorcraft filter ASAP. The Motorcraft filter has thread locker that, when it's torqued to 18 ft-lbs, keeps it from falling off with the Voodoo vibrations. A regular filter, tightened to hand tight the way that oil filters are usually installed, will literally unscrew itself and fall off after a few miles of driving.

OP
OP

Rbp_280z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang 5.0
So what I read in the list is this:

N2K091 - The tires have nitrogen in them
94109-14000 - this is a Honda sealing washer for an oil sump drain plug that a GT350 doesn't have.
S2903 - an STP aftermarket oil filter that will fit on a Voodoo but it'll unscrew and fall off after a few miles of driving.
XO5W50QGT - the correct Motorcraft oil for a Voodoo
08798-TABS - cleaner tablets for the windshield washer reservoir
VC13G - Motorcraft Yellow coolant that's the current upgraded coolant spec for the Voodoo engine

The only ringer in the list is the oil drain plug sealing washer because the GT350 Voodoo engine doesn't use one. It has a plastic drain plug with an o-ring. If the engine actually needs one of those aluminum rings then it's not a real GT350.

As for the oil filter, presuming it's a real Voodoo engine, that thing needs to be replaced with a genuine Motorcraft filter ASAP. The Motorcraft filter has thread locker that, when it's torqued to 18 ft-lbs, keeps it from falling off with the Voodoo vibrations. A regular filter, tightened to hand tight the way that oil filters are usually installed, will literally unscrew itself and fall off after a few miles of driving.
Thank you for letting me know. This info is really vital. I’m purchasing the vehicle from another state and having it shipped. Tomorrow I had lined up a pre purchase inspection to be done but now I feel like I should wait since the wrong filter is on. Do you suggest i have the sales manager replace the oil and filter?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thank you for letting me know. This info is really vital. I’m purchasing the vehicle from another state and having it shipped. Tomorrow I had lined up a pre purchase inspection to be done but now I feel like I should wait since the wrong filter is on. Do you suggest i have the sales manager replace the oil and filter?
It's your call on this. The pre purchase inspector could check the filter and if it's actually the right one and it's properly torqued then all is well. Considering that they installed two other Ford-sourced parts, the oil and coolant, it's possible that they put the correct Motorcraft filter in the car and just stuck a generic part number on the list.

km1075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 C63s, 2020 GT350 HEP
If it is a 2016 make sure it has the track pack, otherwise it will be missing the oil coolers that became standard on the 2017+. If the original engine is at 30,000 miles then it is likely one of the 96%+ without issues (most of which show up early on).
@matthewr87 If you don't mind me asking, how often do you track your GT350? You have a 2018? Original engine? To me, that would be a big testament to how some of the engine issues are a bit overblown if someone six years later is having continued success tracking their GT350 w/o the engine blowing up.

If that's the case with a lot of people here, I would agree with posters who simply say make sure it has the track pack. I would also suggest buying used in stock form. If both are the case, buy, drive and enjoy.

Sponsored

klawrence

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I wonder if it has the aluminum cam covers Ford Performance part M-6067-M52S , as that oil fill plug says 0w-20

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@matthewr87 If you don't mind me asking, how often do you track your GT350? You have a 2018? Original engine? To me, that would be a big testament to how some of the engine issues are a bit overblown if someone six years later is having continued success tracking their GT350 w/o the engine blowing up.

If that's the case with a lot of people here, I would agree with posters who simply say make sure it has the track pack. I would also suggest buying used in stock form. If both are the case, buy, drive and enjoy.
My 2016 GT350, which has 30,000 miles on its original engine, has done 44 track days since I bought it new in 2016.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

I keep a log of the time spent on track and I have 38 hours of accumulated track time on this car. Only issue so far has been a front LCA bushing.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
In California you may want those coolers come summer time. My buddy was able to hit tranny overtemps on mountain runs here in North Georgia.
Sponsored