Long Tube Owners…

MO1182

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I recently put some long tubes on with a catted x-pipe and love the volume increase with some good rasp to boot. I kept the factory mufflers but I’m just curious for those that are running headers with an aftermarket cat back., do you feel it’s louder? Deeper? too raspy? Not worth it?

Just curious as I’m debating if I want to keep factory or try probably the Borla or Corsa catback.
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
When my Kooks LT’s had the cats on them, and I was running stock rear exhaust, it sounded 95% like stock. When we gutted the cats out, it gained about 10% sound.

I ran an AWE Touring cat back as well with the catted LT’s. Sounded amazing. With the cats gutted however, it was stupid obnoxious. I run a Borla Touring exhaust now with the middle resonator. It perfect and can be fairly quiet if I want it to be.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Catted LTH with AWE Touring catback.

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"
If you want the car to be louder you can always pick up some Grimmspeed exhaust valve defeats to keep it open all the time. That’s what I run on my race car with Corsa long tubes, no cats, into a Corsa double-X pipe with no resonators. It’s stupid loud.

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
When I had my Kooks LT's and ORX I started out with the stock axle back then went to Kooks axle back. It was legit obnoxious, like street take over level obnoxious. Reinstalled the stock axle back and I'm happy now.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Its kind of a loaded question. There are quite a few different options with aftermarket cat backs. Some are raspy and deeper sounding. If you are running headers and want to keep the raspy tone down I would stay away from Corsa extreme or Borla ATAK.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
The GT50R has such an amazing and unique sound in stock form. I don't get why people feel the need to change it or make it louder. But to each their own.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Its kind of a loaded question. There are quite a few different options with aftermarket cat backs. Some are raspy and deeper sounding. If you are running headers and want to keep the raspy tone down I would stay away from Corsa extreme or Borla ATAK.
I actually have LTH long tube headers with high flow cats and a Borla Atak catback on my 2016. Love the sound and it is not obnoxious or raspy to my ears at all. Got a few compliments from guys at a shop when I recently had some suspension work done.

OP
OP
MO1182

MO1182

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The GT50R has such an amazing and unique sound in stock form. I don't get why people feel the need to change it or make it louder. But to each their own.
I do love the sound from the factory It just wasn’t quite as loud or aggressive as I wanted it to be. Obviously when you hit 7 to 8K it screams but 98% of my driving is around town.

I will say I do love the Kooks set up. Low RPMs and casual driving you get that voodoo sound but then when you step on it opens up to a NASCAR rasp .I was also shocked how much power I felt with the addition of these headers

PAD350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I went with Stainless Works LT with high flow cats and a Corsa double-x pipe res delete and stock mufflers.
My car is considerably louder with the valves open, like obnoxious. It is also more raspy and pops a lot more. I could do without the increased raspy sound, but all together I am not disappointed.
I agree that a stock GT350R sounds great right out of the box. My 2017 sounded amazing with zero mods, but I was forced to trade it in for a 2019 GT350 due to a few issues that Ford refused to address.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just because it's great doesn't mean it can't be better. The Kooks and ARH try to get as close to equal length primaries and smooth out the exhaust note as possible with space limitations. When combined with the sound volume effects of the long tubes and the slightly updated tone, it makes for an even more menacing sound.

When I was researching GT350's for a couple of months, I remember seeing this video and it almost made my mouth drop.

Then I saw this video:

ARH 2016 GT 350 Mustang Full System - YouTube

I ultimately ended up going ARH full length system and in my opinion, both setups sound glorious. The Kooks with OE mufflers sounds a little bit more violent/angry, whereas the ARH sounds a little bit more exotic/refined.

The 350/R is certainly one of the best sounding cars Ford (or anyone else) has ever fielded from the factory. But as with all things, someone else finds a way to make it better.

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
Agreed and I am torn to modify this sound in order to get more hp gains. Stupid loud is very subjective though, some folks believe louder the better, some believe there is a limit to the madness. Such hard life decisions!! lol.....

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I recently put some long tubes on with a catted x-pipe and love the volume increase with some good rasp to boot. I kept the factory mufflers but I’m just curious for those that are running headers with an aftermarket cat back., do you feel it’s louder? Deeper? too raspy? Not worth it?

Just curious as I’m debating if I want to keep factory or try probably the Borla or Corsa catback.
Running Kooks 1 7/8" LTHs with Green Cats (also Kooks), and performance connects (also Kooks - full 3") to Borla Atak (valved) on a 2018 PP1. I "always" start in quiet mode, as it's ridiculously loud. Once it calms down, the idle in normal or track mode is fine, but WOT... make sure there are no cops around... you can hear mine a mile away. If you want loud this is the way to go, (Corsa might be louder) unless you want to run catless.

Just know, seen and not heard can be as good as not seen, but heard is always seen.

Last edited:

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Just because it's great doesn't mean it can't be better. The Kooks and ARH try to get as close to equal length primaries and smooth out the exhaust note as possible with space limitations. When combined with the sound volume effects of the long tubes and the slightly updated tone, it makes for an even more menacing sound.

When I was researching GT350's for a couple of months, I remember seeing this video and it almost made my mouth drop.

Then I saw this video:

ARH 2016 GT 350 Mustang Full System - YouTube

I ultimately ended up going ARH full length system and in my opinion, both setups sound glorious. The Kooks with OE mufflers sounds a little bit more violent/angry, whereas the ARH sounds a little bit more exotic/refined.

The 350/R is certainly one of the best sounding cars Ford (or anyone else) has ever fielded from the factory. But as with all things, someone else finds a way to make it better.
I have a full ARH system on mine and agree 100% the ARH system gives it more of the refined exotic flat plane crank sound.
In my opinion the stock exhaust tried to have a similar traditional coyote Mustang sound.

OP
OP
MO1182

MO1182

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Running Kooks 1 7/8" LTHs with Green Cats (also Kooks), and performance connects (also Kooks - full 3") to Borla Atak (valved) on a 2018 PP1. I "always" start in quiet mode, as it's ridiculously loud. Once it calms down, the idle in normal or track mode is fine, but WOT... make sure there are no cops around... you can hear mine a mile away. If you want loud this is the way to go, (Corsa might be louder) unless you want to run catless.

Just know, see and not heard can be as good as not seen, but heard is always seen.
you been having good luck not throwing codes? I splurged for the greens but keep throwing a 4030 code.
Sponsored