Sponsored

Long Tube Headers....

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
So I have been thinking for a long time about putting in an Whipple SC on my BULLITT and have been waffling along about doing it and not doing it. One thing that has been on my mind is the fact I want to try and be original BULLITT heritage short of locating a 390 engine and putting in an SC just seems to move away from this. Sure who doesn't want to have more HP and TQ to increase the fun factor of the car, but being realistic, I don't think any purist would approve and may lower the value of the vehicle. Not that I care, but I take satisfaction in knowing its my own piece of some history of the days gone (of which I was not born in). I plan on keeping this vehicle and passing it on to my son, whom I have been grooming to appreciate cars of all kinds and for some reason he just loves the Mustang series. My daughter on the other hand will have to fight for it. LoL unless I get another Mustang, which may be sooner than later.

So a new dilemma came to me. As the BULLITT was at my local race shop putting in the vertical links and cradle lock, I asked if there was any other mod worth looking into and also me mentioning about the SC. He suggested for starters you should start with long tube headers, high flow cats and a CAI with a tune. They will also dyno before and after the tune and ensure the engine is giving peak performance. I was curious about that and he mentioned it will give you more torque and rwhip in the end and if I wanted to go SC, then I am halfway there. The only thing is the exhaust gets a bit louder, mind you I am all for the exhaust music, but I don't want to be the guy that just attracts unwanted attention.

I have done some appearance mods just to make things a little bespoke and unique, but not to stray from the original heritage. So far I have done the following:

5Spurs crosshair start button
5Spurs armrest cover
5Spurs BULLITT shifter plate (coming soon)
5Spurs BULLITT crosshair center caps (coming soon)
Diode Dynamics green interior LEDs
Diode Dynamics tail light sequencer
Diode Dynamics LED side markers
Custom made BULLITT weighted shift knob
Rock Blokz splash guards
AA Spare Tire Kit
BMR cradle lock
BMR Delrin billet vertical links
FRP short shifter kit
Blowfish shift cradle lock
FRP X-Pipe (resonator delete)
MP concepts reverse tail light and 4th brake flasher
JLT passenger side oil catch can
JLT driver side oil catch can (I know I don't need it, but its there for insurance)

So I just wanted to get your thoughts on this as it seems to be a mild alteration to the car, and maybe not straying away from its heritage.
Sponsored

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Hi, I might get people do disagree but I believe that the OEM headers are good enough. For the money of new headers and the installation is a pain the 15hp or so gain is not worth it in my opinion. SC or headers is all a mod that is not seen but heard and felt. I dont believe that adding a SC is getting away from the Bullitt heritage. Steve McQueen loved modifying his car and racing it. I believe by us modifying it with a purpose we add to our own heritage and the cars.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
Long tube headers are definitely not a good “bang for your buck” modification. I also believe long term reliability(since you mention keeping for a long time to pass on) will be greatly compromised by added power levels the engine was not really designed for.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here's my take. First of all, the Bullitt to me is just another trim package, so I don't see it as anything special that needs to be preserved, especially with the numbers it was produced. So I'd change whatever you feel like it. Having said that, it makes ZERO sense to add hundreds of HP to a car already powerful enough, especially if you're going allow a young adult to drive it... unless you want that person out of your life. Ha ha. And also due to reliability issues. You absolutely DO NOT need more power on this car. I could bet my house you'd benefit more from driver training than more HP. But to each his own :).

Reactions: P8K

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
i did long tubes on my 16 and honestly i felt more of a change from the tune than the headers. with active exhaust quiet mode would probably be decently bearable but id imagine track mode would be out of this world. if i could go back in time i wouldnt waste the money on headers as i dont really think they were worth it.
also im not really sure any cold air is going to net you much if any.

Sponsored

Chente04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'm curious why the shop guy told you headers, CAI, and tune will get you half way to a SC? Did he mean cost wise your half way to a SC? Because you don't need any of that before installing a SC. In fact a tune and CAI are provided with most SC packages.

As for headers they are not a good "bang for buck? mod, and if you go catless passing inspection becomes problematic. That being said I will eventually throw some Kooks LTs on mine, just because I love the rumble and sound. I had them on my 12 5.0 and it sounded like a beast.

OP
OP
Ronin47

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Sorry Guys for the late reply. Life has gotten in the way of things.

Hi, I might get people do disagree but I believe that the OEM headers are good enough. For the money of new headers and the installation is a pain the 15hp or so gain is not worth it in my opinion. SC or headers is all a mod that is not seen but heard and felt. I dont believe that adding a SC is getting away from the Bullitt heritage. Steve McQueen loved modifying his car and racing it. I believe by us modifying it with a purpose we add to our own heritage and the cars.
I would tend to agree given the fact the man himself was a tinkerer of sorts. I would of hazard the guess if he had owned his own Mustang, he would have modified it somewhat to give it more power and speed.

Long tube headers are definitely not a good “bang for your buck” modification. I also believe long term reliability(since you mention keeping for a long time to pass on) will be greatly compromised by added power levels the engine was not really designed for.
Interesting.... I have never heard that long tube headers would hamper the engine other than provide better exhaust flow. Yes, I do intend on keeping the BULLITT for a long time. I am still on the fence regarding its "bang for the buck" purchase.

Here's my take. First of all, the Bullitt to me is just another trim package, so I don't see it as anything special that needs to be preserved, especially with the numbers it was produced. So I'd change whatever you feel like it. Having said that, it makes ZERO sense to add hundreds of HP to a car already powerful enough, especially if you're going allow a young adult to drive it... unless you want that person out of your life. Ha ha. And also due to reliability issues. You absolutely DO NOT need more power on this car. I could bet my house you'd benefit more from driver training than more HP. But to each his own :).
That is some sage advice there. At this point in time, my son will not be driving for a long period of time until he understands the rules I have set upon him and the fact that he has to respect the power of the car as it may put him on the very wrong side of me. LoL. As for the modifications, I am still on the fence on this.

i did long tubes on my 16 and honestly i felt more of a change from the tune than the headers. with active exhaust quiet mode would probably be decently bearable but id imagine track mode would be out of this world. if i could go back in time i wouldnt waste the money on headers as i dont really think they were worth it.
also im not really sure any cold air is going to net you much if any.
You make a very good point considering you have already made that change and this may be the answer I am looking for to end my mental debate on long tube headers. May I ask which brand and other exhaust modifications you did?

I'm curious why the shop guy told you headers, CAI, and tune will get you half way to a SC? Did he mean cost wise your half way to a SC? Because you don't need any of that before installing a SC. In fact a tune and CAI are provided with most SC packages.

As for headers they are not a good "bang for buck? mod, and if you go catless passing inspection becomes problematic. That being said I will eventually throw some Kooks LTs on mine, just because I love the rumble and sound. I had them on my 12 5.0 and it sounded like a beast.
Well they basically parted out the package for me so in the end I still would have ended up with the same gear with the full kit anyway. I would have gotten the retune for free if I got the SC with them. You are the second person not to recommend the long tube headers.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
on my 16 i started with an atak catback... then went bbk catted long tubes.... was too loud so i put on the borla resonator... was then too quiet so went catless..was then pretty ok but definitely not a million times better than just the catback.
on my Bullitt i went with h pipe. i have debated doing a cat delete on this one because it is far cheaper than long tubes and will still give the volume results as well as with a tune unlocking some performance. my main reason for not doing it is simply because i dont want to get cat deletes do it and then be in the same boat as my 16 where i should have just stayed with the catback because it was good enough.
Sponsored