Sponsored

Limited driving options

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Being locked down so severely in Melbourne, there are now very limited opportunities to drive my car. So my question is: how bad is it for the engine and exhaust system to only drive to the shops and back as the car does not even warm up enough to reach its proper operating temperature and then sits in the garage again all day until the next day when it also doesn't get driven enough to warm up. Should I not drive it at all and just wait till we are out of this mess? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bulutt

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So no mechanically knowledgeable guys out there I guess?

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Short cold runs are in theory more wear on your engine. With regard to the exhaust, if it does not get hot it cannot dry out the condensation in there, so rust can take hold.
Over a few weeks of lockdown though, I would not think either should be much of a problem. Modern engines are much more robust.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My mustang is my 2nd car and I've had this concern too. I just take the "long way" when I drive it short distances. Roll down the windows, listen to exhaust or music and just enjoy yourself for 20 - 30 mins. I'm in Florida, so our lockdown policies are basically none. Is it that strict in Melbourne that you couldn't do this?

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454
My mustang is my 2nd car and I've had this concern too. I just take the "long way" when I drive it short distances. Roll down the windows, listen to exhaust or music and just enjoy yourself for 20 - 30 mins. I'm in Florida, so our lockdown policies are basically none. Is it that strict in Melbourne that you couldn't do this?
Definitely.
Just the same in New Zealand (full lockdown)
Can only drive to get food.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bulutt

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Short cold runs are in theory more wear on your engine. With regard to the exhaust, if it does not get hot it cannot dry out the condensation in there, so rust can take hold.
Over a few weeks of lockdown though, I would not think either should be much of a problem. Modern engines are much more robust.
We are living in a police state now. “Show me your papers! 😩. “ Those are my concerns about the short trips. . Thanks.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Being locked down so severely in Melbourne, there are now very limited opportunities to drive my car. So my question is: how bad is it for the engine and exhaust system to only drive to the shops and back as the car does not even warm up enough to reach its proper operating temperature and then sits in the garage again all day until the next day when it also doesn't get driven enough to warm up. Should I not drive it at all and just wait till we are out of this mess? Thanks
Hi Bulutt,
i think it's best to put your car on chasis stands and drive it as hard as you like
problem solved. :giggle:

Reactions: PKs

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Definitely.
Just the same in New Zealand (full lockdown)
Can only drive to get food.
So how is that enforced? How would anyone even know if you drove out of your way while on a trip to get food?

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
So how is that enforced? How would anyone even know if you drove out of your way while on a trip to get food?
While some Mustangs in Australia are daily drives, I would think a high proportion would be ‘Sunday drive’ cars. I rarely see one in a supermarket car park.

I think a Mustang would stand out more, for a spot check, in terms of not being used for an essential reason. Here in Melbourne we can only travel 5 kilometres, about 3 miles, away from home.

I have regularly left my car in the garage for up to 6 weeks without being started since Covid-19 struck. Admittedly the battery has always had 100% charge following a ‘Sunday drive’.

Not sure what sitting around does in terms of brake fluid and the like. Certainly short drives are not ideal for the exhaust system, but l reckon it is not a deal breaker.

Anyway, I am not worried.

P.S. This week I drove to the service station to fill up, which you are allowed to do. Hopefully that gets me through the next few weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bulutt

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just so you understand how nuts this is, the police are patrolling children's playground to enforce no playing or mingling!!! The cure is now worse than the disease!!!!

This might help you understand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Having had a month of lockdown in April 2020 I really feel for you it is very depressing ☹
Having the moat around us has saved us from a hell of a lot of pain in one way but means leaving the island is an issue as is returning home.
But for now we seem OK, except for a few cretins lying about their movements when returning or ignoring the order too self isolate when they get back. Personally I think they should just get Jail time and the word Fcukwit tattooed on their forehead so everyone knows what a twat they are.
The lock downs will end though and you can get back out again soon. We went out yesterday again for a couple of hundred K drive to Ross for a coffee. The sun was shining a it was a great drive. I will pack in as much driving as I can because you never know when we might get locked down too.
9A3B14E9-C58E-475D-9BBD-E459D9BA3E63.jpeg

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454
Trust.
A lot of faith in our government.
A number of police patroling the streets.
We are only 20% vaccinated.
I don’t think we want to die from COVID.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I agree with TasGT. Short drives wont do it much good if that's all you ever did, but hopefully this will all be over within weeks or months.

On the lockdown issue, I live on the gold coast and employ one of our people who has recently moved over the border. She isnt an "essential worker" under the new more stringent definition and was too young to have the vaccination before she moved. So we have someone who couldnt come to queensland without being vaccinated but cant come up regardless because she isnt "essential", and this might be the case for several weeks at least given how out of control NSW is.

And the pollies have no interest in working this out, state rivalries translate to votes, which is what concerns me the most.

OP
OP
Bulutt

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Trust.
A number of police patroli
Trust.
A number of police patroling the streets.
We are only 20% vaccinated.
I don’t think we want to die from COVID.
no trust nor faith in our State govt. all we get is BS and spin.
Sponsored