Light weight drive shaft swap question

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Who has swapped their drive shaft for a lighter weight unit? Was it worth it? Did you go Aluminum or CF? Did it add NVH? Is the combination of the reduced rotating mass and lighter weight that much of a boost or is it "meh"? (not talking about owners who had to do it to handle power adders but more auto x guys shedding weight any and every where short of pulling the back seat out). I am torn deciding if this is a worth while mod or the money would just be better spent on tires and seat time.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Iā€™ve had two QA1 CF driveshafts due to having one for my MT82 and now the one for my Tremec Magnum XL and both were for power reasons which I know doesnā€™t match your direct question but I thought the info my help you regardless. I had no change in NVH on either of those setups strictly speaking about the driveshaft. Iā€™ve done enough mods that have had some affect on NVH but none where influenced by my driveshafts.

If youā€™re NA and or have moderate power additions, I would say keep the stock unit and spend it on tires and suspension, although your sig shows youā€™ve done a lot in that category already. Half shafts would be a go to before the driveshaft; almost never hear of a stock driveshaft failure.

To answer your other questions, is it noticeable from a rotating mass standpoint? I would say not ā€˜noticeableā€™ at my power level (+900hp) but Iā€™m sure it helps. Is it worth it? Hard to say but if it ever breaks, it will shatter as opposed to becoming a pogo stick or a piece of angry steal whipping around causing who knows what damage and thatā€™s when it would become worth it. I have no regrets about buying two of them so that says something and I did sell my other one to recoup some $$ā€™s.

There is plenty of us out there that buy things we donā€™t need for our cars but if you like it, have the means and it calms your inner demons than get it. Itā€™s definitely not a worthless mod.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Who has swapped their drive shaft for a lighter weight unit? Was it worth it? Did you go Aluminum or CF? Did it add NVH? Is the combination of the reduced rotating mass and lighter weight that much of a boost or is it "meh"?
I'm a fan of the Shaftmaster Driveshaft. The design of the front and rear attachment points is like no one else. Less is more and Shaftmaster delivered.
It transformed the car on the lower end.
Price wasn't my concern, design was. Looking at the landscape of aftermarket One Pc. Driveshafts all I seen was complicated adapters to fit the others shafts.

Added vibration..... NONE.
Some additional noise..... Yes, but very minimal.
Response to driver input..... Enhanced to the point of a Sh,, eating grin.

Just one mans opinion.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Not on this car but on my 2006 mustang I did a driveshaft swap to an aluminum one and I could notice better acceleration and a somewhat smoother ride. Granted it wasn't on an s550 but I have no reason to suspect it would be any different.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I used a shaftmasters aluminum on my 2015 auto and no matter how I clocked it I got NVH at speed with it. Went to a CF DSS and it was great. I've also installed a CF DSS on my current 2018 GT PP manual car and it's great. It is a noticeable engagement difference that I especially noticed on my automatic car. I don't autocross and most guys can run serious power through their stock DS. I just wanted to do it on this car and it saves a good chunk of rotating weight since my DSS axles are so much heavier. I think QA1 has the nicest ends to their driveshafts out of all of them. But that only matters during installation and removal I guess if the shaft is balanced and you don't break one.

Good luck!

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Who has swapped their drive shaft for a lighter weight unit? Me-lol
Was it worth it?- Absolutely!!!
Did you go Aluminum or CF? Aluminum, DSS
Did it add NVH?- yes, I have a touch of vibration at about 55 to 65, just a touch and nothing I cant live with. I indexed it and eveything, still there.
Is the combination of the reduced rotating mass and lighter weight that much of a boost or is it "meh"?- loved it from the minute I pulled out of the driveway, your right foot feels way more connected with the rear end. More responsive in every way, just by getting rid of that rubber gimbal piece and the extra carrier bearing and weight.

(not talking about owners who had to do it to handle power adders but more auto x guys shedding weight any and every where short of pulling the back seat out). I am torn deciding if this is a worth while mod or the money would just be better spent on tires and seat time.
I thought it was worth it in the long run just for the responsiveness, feels the way it should now, not sloppy appease the masses drivetrain anymore from the factory. Just do it you'll like it!!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored