Lemon value

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
I’m looking at a 2021 CFTP with 100 miles. It’s a buyback from Ford. Carfax states long block was replaced due to tick and knock in motor. Car still has full factory warranty. What do you guys think the car is worth? They have it listed for 110k. Thanks
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If it were that easy, it wouldn’t be a lemon, right?
Maybe delivery time of replacement parts made it qualify. But knowing how hard it is to get a buyback, I’d never touch one. I’m salty from prior experiences with Ford and Subaru though.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
They really need to come up with better terms for these situations. Maybe "Rebuilt (Lemon)" or "Previous Repaired (Lemon)". If Ford bought it back and replaced everything that was wrong and is willing to honor the warranty and if it can be registered and insured and will pass inspection and if there is all documentation to confirm all this then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth what a non-lemon example would be worth. Now if you received documentation on everything wrong and decided you wanted to fix it yourself, then it should have a lower value and require a deeper inspection for road-worthiness. In this particular case the "Lemon" nomenclature is nothing more than a technicality and should be disregarded once all details are confirmed.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
They really need to come up with better terms for these situations. Maybe "Rebuilt (Lemon)" or "Previous Repaired (Lemon)". If Ford bought it back and replaced everything that was wrong and is willing to honor the warranty and if it can be registered and insured and will pass inspection and if there is all documentation to confirm all this then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth what a non-lemon example would be worth. Now if you received documentation on everything wrong and decided you wanted to fix it yourself, then it should have a lower value and require a deeper inspection for road-worthiness. In this particular case the "Lemon" nomenclature is nothing more than a technicality and should be disregarded once all details are confirmed.
Why would I buy a title branded lemon law car for all the money when I could buy one that isn’t for the same money? Makes no sense. Fixed or not it will require too much explanation down the road when trying to sell it. No thanks.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Also, check your insurance company. If it’s been previously listed as a lemon you may or may not need to disclose that to your insurance carrier.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe $90K. Save that $20K for the next time this lemon squirts you in the eye.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Let me put it here straight and simple…. Yes, buying “lemons” can be fruitful (no pun intended). Sure you can sometimes score a vehicle for a lower price because of its Lemon/BuyBack status…. Same is true with any salvage vehicle that can be repaired.

What everyone missies or overlooks about a Lemon is this:
- That VIN is FOREVER branded a Lemon.

- Any vehicle Manufacturer BuyBack by law has to be documented and recorded.

- Since we are talking a Ford, the VIN will show up in OASIS as being a RAV Buy Back.

- The VIN will be flagged by the State in which it was Lemon’d. It will also be flagged in other State’s systems that use similar databases.

- The VIN will be flagged in Insurance databases as being a Lemon. This may also pose a problem for trying to get insurance on a Lemon depending on individual State laws.

- Lastly, any VIN reporting agency will show that VIN as being a Lemon/BuyBack.

Trying to resell a Lemon/BuyBack as private party OR if trying to trade in later at a Dealership will present an array of issues and a lower monetary valuation - fact.

Again, can you get a deal on a Lemon/BuyBack? Sure, if you don’t mind the tarnished VIN and the lost $$$ if ever trying to resell.

I’ve also posted on here numerous times regarding Lemon/Buy Backs for any Limited Production vehicle such as the S550 Shelby line:

Most future Buyers/true Shelby Enthusiasts of these S550 GT350/350R and the GT500’s will want a numbers matched drivetrain. Those same people would be willing to pay top dollar for that vehicle since it’s a numbers matched drivetrain. This holds true now and for any prior Shelby to the S550. A S550 Shelby that has had its engine replaced under Ford Warranty is not and will no longer ever be a numbers matched Shelby, because the replacement engine is missing the vital VIN.

Yes, it’s a brand new engine, yes it probably has some limited warranty - but the VIN is still a Lemon. If you’re ok with buying a Lemon and dealing with the future resale difficulty, then by all means go for it.

As stated above too by member RP930, why spend the same money for a tarnished VIN when you can most likely score one that isn’t flagged for the same $$$ or a little more? I don’t see $110k as being anywhere near a good price for a Lemon, GT500 CFTP or not… Not when the price point is so close to the same product that doesn’t have a Lemon’d VIN.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Why would I buy a title branded lemon law car for all the money when I could buy one that isn’t for the same money? Makes no sense. Fixed or not it will require too much explanation down the road when trying to sell it. No thanks.
I completely agree with you. Which is why I said that the wording needs to change depending on the issues. "Lemon" is one term that covers a broad range of issues, some minor and some major. Engine issues, Lemon. Trans issues, Lemon. Something wrong with the shock tower, Lemon. Brake caliper, Lemon. So my point is that there should be different wording depending on the problem and how it was resolved. Remember, these terms came out decades ago and a lemon back then meant many issues. If you bought one in the 80s or 90s you were likely stuck with a headache and a money pit and probably would end up with a lesser performing car and getting stranded places, lol!! These days it could be a shock tower that squeaks. Of course it could mean more underlying problems but in most cases it doesn't.

In my shopping I came across many cars labeled "Lemon". And a lot of them were very minor issues but it deterred me. I was hesitant, not because I was worried about the car itself, but because I was worried that it would be a headache to sell if I had to. So that is why I think that there needs to be an update to what we know as a "Lemon". Like how with certain items there is "defect", "refurbished", "rebuilt", etc.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Let me put it here straight and simple…. Yes, buying “lemons” can be fruitful (no pun intended). Sure you can sometimes score a vehicle for a lower price because of its Lemon/BuyBack status…. Same is true with any salvage vehicle that can be repaired.

What everyone missies or overlooks about a Lemon is this:
- That VIN is FOREVER branded a Lemon.

- Any vehicle Manufacturer BuyBack by law has to be documented and recorded.

- Since we are talking a Ford, the VIN will show up in OASIS as being a RAV Buy Back.

- The VIN will be flagged by the State in which it was Lemon’d. It will also be flagged in other State’s systems that use similar databases.

- The VIN will be flagged in Insurance databases as being a Lemon. This may also pose a problem for trying to get insurance on a Lemon depending on individual State laws.

- Lastly, any VIN reporting agency will show that VIN as being a Lemon/BuyBack.

Trying to resell a Lemon/BuyBack as private party OR if trying to trade in later at a Dealership will present an array of issues and a lower monetary valuation - fact.

Again, can you get a deal on a Lemon/BuyBack? Sure, if you don’t mind the tarnished VIN and the lost $$$ if ever trying to resell.

I’ve also posted on here numerous times regarding Lemon/Buy Backs for any Limited Production vehicle such as the S550 Shelby line:

Most future Buyers/true Shelby Enthusiasts of these S550 GT350/350R and the GT500’s will want a numbers matched drivetrain. Those same people would be willing to pay top dollar for that vehicle since it’s a numbers matched drivetrain. This holds true now and for any prior Shelby to the S550. A S550 Shelby that has had its engine replaced under Ford Warranty is not and will no longer ever be a numbers matched Shelby, because the replacement engine is missing the vital VIN.

Yes, it’s a brand new engine, yes it probably has some limited warranty - but the VIN is still a Lemon. If you’re ok with buying a Lemon and dealing with the future resale difficulty, then by all means go for it.

As stated above too by member RP930, why spend the same money for a tarnished VIN when you can most likely score one that isn’t flagged for the same $$$ or a little more? I don’t see $110k as being anywhere near a good price for a Lemon, GT500 CFTP or not… Not when the price point is so close to the same product that doesn’t have a Lemon’d VIN.
And who are you who is so wise in the way of science?

Seriously, you sure do know a lot about many things.
Sponsored