Least Favorite thing on your S550

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
This is more related to the S550 Mustang in General, but as I have a Bullitt, figured I'd put this here.

I'm completely new to Mustangs (still adjusting to the reality) but overall, I am very impressed and pleased with my Bullitt and think that Ford has done a great job overall. There are a few things that bug me like the blocked off vents in the lower bumper, and lack of interior lighting, but there is one thing that bugs me most.

The thing that bugs me most is the LED shark fin light bars in the headlight housings. IMO, it takes away from any sort of classic look to the front of the car and says nothing about Mustang. I'd prefer a single round light in the housing, or maybe two on each side. The triple light bars take away from the classic look.
Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I think someone on here has worked out how to turn the gill lights off. But I think it required modification of the headlight wiring harness. Not sure.

Some of the LED specialty lighting companies may have worked out some replacements. Although, probably not round since it seems that the gill lights are generally liked. Probably not much demand to develop something round.

Anyway, my least favorite thing about my S550 is the paint Ford uses. I have never seen such a weak and easily chipped/damaged automotive paint.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
My least favorite is almost a kudo to the car, my older s197’s I have owned felt more exciting despite being much much slower. The Bullitt is undoubtedly faster and much more capable but the 4 or whatever s197’s I have owned just felt more on edge probably because the chassis wasn’t as planted and the suspension wasn’t as good.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
The thing that bugs me most is the LED shark fin light bars in the headlight housings. IMO, it takes away from any sort of classic look to the front of the car and says nothing about Mustang. I'd prefer a single round light in the housing, or maybe two on each side. The triple light bars take away from the classic look.
I think you should look at the front end of a first generation Mustang and you will see three fins next to the headlight

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The shit paint is aggravating for sure. Its not like im always tailgating people either. And a lot of the chips are showing up in weird places, like near the wheel wells or the roof line where the windshield meets it.

I also don't like the rev hang after a cold start that lasts a few minutes.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
The shit paint is aggravating for sure. Its not like im always tailgating people either. And a lot of the chips are showing up in weird places, like near the wheel wells or the roof line where the windshield meets it.

I also don't like the rev hang after a cold start that lasts a few minutes.
Yeah that cold start high idle bugs me too. Too high and too long. They probably did it because it sounds awesome, I can't imagine that engine really needs it to prevent stalling. Mine will sit parked sometimes in the sumer for more than a week at a time. Makes me cringe when I start it again.

Speaking of paint chips in strange places... I have one on the driver's door (i.e. not even forward facing) and one on the under side of the front lip of the hood. Yes, the part that is just inside when closed and only ever touches the rubber seal... Now how the hell did that happen?

All told the are about 8 significant paint chips and only 2 of them are legit (likely would have chipped on any paint job).

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
My only real complaint is the gear ratios on the tranny. Way too long.
My 15 gt had short gears....perfect!
Paint wise...the dhg is a much better paint job than my black 15 had. Ordered my 15 direct from the factory. Came with a quarter sized blemish on the hood. Had the dealer repaint the hood. Later i found bad paint...orange peal on the rear .
Lousy paint.

SunTzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope
Agreed on the long gearing. Although it is fine on the interstate, a bit shorter would be nice if only for the fun factor around town.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
my biggest complaint about the car is the dealership maintenance. Unless its a high dollar warranty item I will never take my car to a dealership to be worked on. At 1000 miles I had a right rear wheel bearing go bad, I bought it and changed it myself after 3 dealerships couldn't figure it out and put countless miles on my car joy riding and testing out the launch control. As for the car itself....which is a 2019 GT PP2, I'd have to go with the paint. You can look at it real hard and scratch it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At 1000 miles I had a right rear wheel bearing go bad, I bought it and changed it myself
Sorry to hear that. Hey, what kind of tools do you need to do that? In case it ever happens to my car. Did you replace it with a stock bearing? If they go out so early, aren't they crap, or what's the issue? You're probably the 10th person I read had bearings going bad very early on. Thx.

As far as the paint, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with it. On the way home from dealer, with barely any miles, a dump truck overloaded with gravel pulled right in front of me, dumping a crapload right on my lane. Couldn't avoid it, as I had traffic behind me, and couldn't slam on the brakes. Sounded horrible. Similar thing happened with my ex M3 V8, and had to repaint the bumper. On the Bullitt, it had minimal damage, and also to my surprise, my car doesn't have a light primer, making chips glaringly obvious. I haven't touched them up yet, and they're hardly visible. Oh, and just 1 small chip on the windshield that doesn't require fixing. We'll see as miles pile on, but so far I'm happy with the paint. And also with the tranny; it has the perfect ratios IMO, since it's a street car.

Sponsored

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
i have been reading threads on this forum of people bitching about their S550s, i guess i am posting here to let people know there is another side of the story:
- faint tick occasionally on cold start-up, never when hot
- body panel fit is good (you can inspect this BEFORE you buy the car)
- B&O is awesome, not excessively “bass-y”
- clutch fluid line does not leak/is not sliding off the nipple
- no problem with the gas filler, rattles, squeaks, etc., etc.
- some guy even complained about the exhaust tips. wtf? it’s a Mustang, people.
- you cannot feel the clutch engagement in the pedal; after developing some muscle memory/feel for it, you dont even think of it anymore

my complaints?
- dipstick is buried under the shock tower brace
- i wish i sat an inch or 2 lower in the car

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sorry to hear that. Hey, what kind of tools do you need to do that? In case it ever happens to my car. Did you replace it with a stock bearing? If they go out so early, aren't they crap, or what's the issue? You're probably the 10th person I read had bearings going bad very early on. Thx.
No special tools needed if you replace the hub like I did. Not even sure ya can get just the bearing out. A good torque wrench is a must. Other that that a good socket set will get it done. Oh, and don't forget a new axel nut. Those are a one use item.

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
My least favorite thing about the S550 is that it doesn’t have a James Bond style ejection seat when the wife starts in on me about my driving! :angel:

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
i have been reading threads on this forum of people bitching about their S550s, i guess i am posting here to let people know there is another side of the story:
- faint tick occasionally on cold start-up, never when hot
- body panel fit is good (you can inspect this BEFORE you buy the car)
- B&O is awesome, not excessively “bass-y”
- clutch fluid line does not leak/is not sliding off the nipple
- no problem with the gas filler, rattles, squeaks, etc., etc.
- some guy even complained about the exhaust tips. wtf? it’s a Mustang, people.
- you cannot feel the clutch engagement in the pedal; after developing some muscle memory/feel for it, you dont even think of it anymore

my complaints?
- dipstick is buried under the shock tower brace
- i wish i sat an inch or 2 lower in the car
What does it being a mustang have to do with the exhaust tips being cheap cut off pipe. For 50k plus I'd think they could put on some nice double walled tips. Just my 2 cents on it. In the end I didn't have to buy the car if it really bothered me, but I did so here i am still not liking them. And if I didn't have active exhaust the would have been changed out already. Oh well.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Agreed on the long gearing. Although it is fine on the interstate, a bit shorter would be nice if only for the fun factor around town.
Just think how quick we could red line it !
Sponsored