Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
:facepalm:Surprise. Predictions and estimations are not that accurate.... Doesn't mean the science behind it is false....
You literally can't make this kinda stuff up. Ahh, hello McFly! If predictions and estimations are not accurate, it absolutely means the science is false!

Wow..., just WOW!!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ask yourself this question:
Would you spend lots of your hard earned cash developing a brand new product in the certain knowledge that :
1. The product will shortly be legislated out of sale in 50+ % of the territory’s you sell in
2. The product will be priced / taxed out of economic reality in the remaining territories.
3. The maximum life span of the product given points 1&2 is 10 years during which sales will only decline.
4. The target consumer is also in decline as fewer people are interested in the previous generation.

When I was a kid we played top trumps. I could give you facts and figure about various cars, and could tell you the engine configuration of pretty much any vehicle. If a V8 or v12 went past the kids would stop and stare. Now I find that very few people under 40 show any interest in cars full stop. Their key automotive priorities are economy, screen size, and number of phone charging points. I would be curious to know the average age of a pony car buyer by continent. I suspect it’s 50 ish. Disposable income, no need for child seat space, many are second cars etc. In 10 years time these folks are 60... a low impractical and expensive to tax or fuel car doesn’t fit the retirement plan quite as well.

As much as I love my mustang, I find myself thinking more and more that I will probably trade it rather than keep it into retirement. Maybe not today, but in 5 years time when the EV tech is fully proven and the infrastructure exists to make life easy. And I consider myself a car nut! Imagine mr average who sees cars as a utility item. They will certainly jump more easily.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Talk of affording a higher priced car due to economy of fuel vs electric it drives me nuts. The delta is very high, Ive owned a fusion energi and all the math in the world says you gotta be in the $3 a gallon territory to make a gain with electric. But that's not the problem really. The cost of buying a car for 25K or 30K - which you can, the Corolla for example, is significant in comparison to a 45K or 55K electric car. A lot of people will look at it as how long does it take to make up 20 or 30K in car costs via saving on fuel? Also consider that many people in this country cant afford or qualify for a 45-55K car. I still think electric is the future or some alternative over gasoline or diesel, but the manufacturers have to make a car for the price of a corolla or mazda to get folks to buy it.

Corolla 31/40
Corolla Hybrid 53/52
Prius 54/50
Prius Prime 54/133 plugin

Tough to argue the price premium for a Tesla or Mustang E, but maybe a Bolt ? Its all just not there yet.

Cool lithium mine:

images.jpg

BTW in 1980 we were talking the end of the world by 2020, desert worlds, ice ages, flying personal transportation, Star Wars stuff would all be real by 2020.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Now I find that very few people under 40 show any interest in cars full stop. Their key automotive priorities are economy, screen size, and number of phone charging points. I would be curious to know the average age of a pony car buyer by continent. I suspect it’s 50 ish. Disposable income, no need for child seat space, many are second cars etc. In 10 years time these folks are 60... a low impractical and expensive to tax or fuel car doesn’t fit the retirement plan quite as well.
You hit the nail on the head!

I have two teenage sons, 19 and 17, respectively. They have seen me own/drive high performance "cool" cars most of their lives. And they have no interest in them. To them a car is simply an appliance that gets them where they want to go. They are far more interested in their phones, their computers, and video games. And my sons are not in the minority by any margin. None of their friends/school-mates has any interest in cars, and probably never will.

And I'm a dinosaur. I am 49 years old, and I drive my '16 GT about six times a year. I love it, but it's strictly a "fun" car. I have a fuel efficient, "beater" car that I drive everyday for work and necessary tasks because I am at the point in life where I can have a primary car AND a fun car, just like you referenced above.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Snake Plissken
I have two teenage sons, 19 and 17, respectively. They have seen me own/drive high performance "cool" cars most of their lives. And they have no interest in them. To them a car is simply an appliance that gets them where they want to go. They are far more interested in their phones, their computers, and video games. And my sons are not in the minority by any margin. None of their friends/school-mates has any interest in cars, and probably never will.

This is why if they can afford it the Mach E will be a big success it's all high tech.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
You literally can't make this kinda stuff up. Ahh, hello McFly! If predictions and estimations are not accurate, it absolutely means the science is false!

Wow..., just WOW!!
You literally have no F*cking idea how these climate models and mathematical models work do you? It absolutely does not mean the science is false. It means they missed a variable or overestimated the strength of another.... Does not change the underlying trend and sources. BUT... this is not the thread for this discussion. Back on topic.

It is absolutely amazing to me how people on this forum seem so willing to believe BS sources, deny basic numbers, believe they know more then those that study these topics for a living, simply because they do not like the outcome....

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
You literally have no F*cking idea how these climate models and mathematical models work do you? It absolutely does not mean the science is false. It means they missed a variable or overestimated the strength of another.... Does not change the underlying trend and sources. BUT... this is not the thread for this discussion. Back on topic.
while I am not agreeing with Zack here either, but this is part of the exact definition of a formula being wrong, missing or under/over representing different variables. If the formula were correct, then it would accurately be able to make these climate predictions. However, from a scientific/engineering point of view, there are simply too many variables to consider that we will never be able to get this to a 100% correct formula. We can, at best, get to the point of accurate enough educated guesses. We are not at even that point yet. we are barely at the point of being able to accurately enough predict local weather over a matter of days. Nowhere near being able to accurately predict climate shifts over decades.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It just keeps getting better and better.....!!

And yes, my kids will probably love the Mach E.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
5) By 2024 the V8 engine will not meet emission standards with the “green new deal”. Ford doesn’t have or the money to make them compliant at this time. Once again the Mach E is slated to be the prop for the future pony Mustang generations.

Propaganda !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for sure, don't buy into the negative news.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You sure about that??

https://electrek.co/2018/08/01/tesla-model-3-top-5-trade-in-cars/

I wouldn't classify a Civic as high priced. And this was when the $35k model wasn't available. The cheapest model 3 at this time was around $45k.
The average price of an automobile in the US in 2019 is $37K. Cars that used to be in the $20K-25k range are now $30K-$35K. There will be affordable EV's under the average range within the next few years. And that is not even taking into account Federal and State tax breaks.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Talk of affording a higher priced car due to economy of fuel vs electric it drives me nuts. The delta is very high, Ive owned a fusion energi and all the math in the world says you gotta be in the $3 a gallon territory to make a gain with electric. But that's not the problem really. The cost of buying a car for 25K or 30K - which you can, the Corolla for example, is significant in comparison to a 45K or 55K electric car. A lot of people will look at it as how long does it take to make up 20 or 30K in car costs via saving on fuel? Also consider that many people in this country cant afford or qualify for a 45-55K car. I still think electric is the future or some alternative over gasoline or diesel, but the manufacturers have to make a car for the price of a corolla or mazda to get folks to buy it.

Corolla 31/40
Corolla Hybrid 53/52
Prius 54/50

Tough to argue the price premium for a Tesla or Mustang E, but maybe a Bolt ? Its all just not there yet.

Cool lithium mine:

images.jpg

BTW in 1980 we were talking the end of the world by 2020, desert worlds, ice ages, flying personal transportation, Star Wars stuff would all be real by 2020.
The numbers get further out of wack when you take away the EV credits and subsidies the GOV provides the buyers and makers. I don't know if the price of EV will ever truly come down, but it may decrease in relationship to average income. At some point though, the GOV will want to make up for all the lost revenue they pull in from Gas/Diesel taxes. Then the credits and subsidies will go away and the surcharges on EVs will rise. The GOV WILL get their money. By then though the ICE will be a memory and they and the promises of cheap EV operating costs will be forgotten.

On a side note, I LOL when I hear people refer to ICE as being old and antiquated when the electric motor is quite a bit older. I laugh the same way on gun boards when 9mm fans call the 45 antiquated...when the 9mm has actually been around longer.

I am all for technology. Fast, affordable, and efficient EVs will be a great thing. But I like having choice too. And mark my words, before the ICE is gone, we will be required to put the car in self-drive mode anyway.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Corolla 31/40
Corolla Hybrid 53/52
Prius 54/50

Cool lithium mine:

images.jpg

You are spot on. Also take into consideration that most people won't want to search around for a place to plug in their car. For those with houses it may be easier to get some charging overnight, but for those that are not home owners what do they do? Also, there needs to be a much faster way to charge and more places to charge them. If every gas station found a way to get 20 charging stations without taking a lot of gas pumps away, you would at least not have to hunt for them. I just do not see much changing in the US by 2030. Sure there will be more plug ins, but it won't be only plug ins that you can buy. The smart play is making hybrids more efficient. This would allow the natural attrition to occur and more time for the battery tech and infrastructure to catch up and be ready. Not sure why everyone thinks something magical is going to happen by 2030, even in Europe.