Sponsored

last straw with dealers - resonator delete voids warranty

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
My car began making a noise from the rear of the vehicle. sounds like sanford and sons from 1.5-2k rpm. In parking lots its like a 1973 beater. I thought it might be due to a body repair made to the rear of the vehicle 3 weeks ago, they changed the entire piece surrounding exhaust.

So apparently the noise from my car is internal to the muffler, not sure I even agree with the dealer, but anyway dealer states that because I had resonators cut off it is aftermarket. I'm done with Ford. Cant take this, never have I been forced to deal with so many poor dealers. Seriously considering a new car so I never ever have to deal with these dealers again.

beware resonator deletes apparently.
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
That sounds right. You modified your exhaust system, so they voided your warranty on the exhaust system. I am not sure what you expected. Any Automotive company would do that. In the end it really just depended on if you had a "cool" service manager or not. Apparently you were unlucky there.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My car began making a noise from the rear of the vehicle. sounds like sanford and sons from 1.5-2k rpm. In parking lots its like a 1973 beater. I thought it might be due to a body repair made to the rear of the vehicle 3 weeks ago, they changed the entire piece surrounding exhaust.

So apparently the noise from my car is internal to the muffler, not sure I even agree with the dealer, but anyway dealer states that because I had resonators cut off it is aftermarket. I'm done with Ford. Cant take this, never have I been forced to deal with so many poor dealers. Seriously considering a new car so I never ever have to deal with these dealers again.

beware resonator deletes apparently.
Hmm that would be any deal unfortunately. What was the actual issue?

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I would love to disagree but I cant. Modification of the exhaust is most definitely a warranty void of the exhaust system. The service shop has no choice unless as HISSMAN mentioned you had a cool service advisor. Remember that the exhaust is a single piece welded. On older mustangs the mufflers where sectional and you probably would have gotten a new muffler. That is why I kept my stock exhaust whole and purchased aftermarket. Sorry to hear your discontent but I can relate, just not on the same topics. Just buy an aftermarket system and have the resonators welded back in the OEM piece.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm just going to throw this out there, but do you think that a piece of metal made it's way to the muffler after cutting the resonator off? That could be what is rattling around. I don't think just having a resonator deleted would cause any issues. But if when cutting, some filing or something made it's way back, then that is another story. Also, make sure that the resonator delete is installed correctly and all clamps are tight, as well as that it isn't hitting against anything. Without hearing what you are hearing, all we can do is just guess at the problem. I wasn't trying to be an ass earlier. I just laid out the facts as they were presented.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm just going to throw this out there, but do you think that a piece of metal made it's way to the muffler after cutting the resonator off? That could be what is rattling around. I don't think just having a resonator deleted would cause any issues. But if when cutting, some filing or something made it's way back, then that is another story. Also, make sure that the resonator delete is installed correctly and all clamps are tight, as well as that it isn't hitting against anything. Without hearing what you are hearing, all we can do is just guess at the problem. I wasn't trying to be an ass earlier. I just laid out the facts as they were presented.
All of this. Definitely need to make sure stuff like the cuts have been filed and all that jazz.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Did the dealer contact Ford Performance for warranty or just see the resonator delete and not go any further? Looks like it's time for the Ford Performance aftermarket system.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Looks like it's time for the Ford Performance aftermarket system.
That won't be warranted....Hypothetically, would it then void components downstream????

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
That won't be warranted....Hypothetically, would it then void components downstream????
I understand that. My point is it doesn't make sense to by another OEM exhaust to fix the muffler. Just get the Ford Performance one to replace it.

With that said I'm interested if the dealer actually filed a claim with Ford or took the easy way out.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
With that said I'm interested if the dealer actually filed a claim with Ford or took the easy way out.
My understanding is that a dealer doesn't have authorization to DENY warranty services, it must go through Ford Motor Company with pictures, descriptions, etc etc.

That's how it was explained to me anyway. That being said, I've never had a service denial ever including on a full bolt on, full suspension'ed 2011 GT. I even had strut mounts offered to me when they were falling apart with Koni's on them. I opted out and went with a different mount setup.

ChevyNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I had an issue similar to this, it was a faulty actuator for the two-mode exhaust system.
Sponsored