Lacking motivation?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm right with ya. When I was 18 I went nuts with the hobby. My life consisted of work, the gym, or under the hood of a car. Fast forward almost 10 years and my car developed rod knock and needed a rebuild. I bought everything I needed but it sat for years until I finally accepted I was just too burned out to do it. I sold it and bought my 2019 GT but, same as you, I'm still burnt out. I managed to get myself to do exhaust and the ford performance kit (just intake and TB so not hard) and that's it.

i had an MGW shifter on my old mustang so I know how great it is, but I also haven't gotten one because I don't feel like putting in the amount of work it will take. I'll admit that, once I figured out the little trick to my shifter (have to be shifting perfectly straight, it'll shift bad if I have something in the cup holder that puts my arm at an angle), I'm not bothered by it anymore.

I don't have a medical issue but I'm in the same boat mentally. I guess that means I'm not in a position to give advice but maybe you'll get some consolation knowing you're not alone lol. I do know that I'd be more willing if I had a lift. Going around all four corners, jacking it up, and laying on my back underneath the car have absolutely zero appeal to me right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I'm right with ya. When I was 18 I went nuts with the hobby. My life consisted of work, the gym, or under the hood of a car. Fast forward almost 10 years and my car developed rod knock and needed a rebuild. I bought everything I needed but it sat for years until I finally accepted I was just too burned out to do it. I sold it and bought my 2019 GT but, same as you, I'm still burnt out. I managed to get myself to do exhaust and the ford performance kit (just intake and TB so not hard) and that's it.

i had an MGW shifter on my old mustang so I know how great it is, but I also haven't gotten one because I don't feel like putting in the amount of work it will take. I'll admit that, once I figured out the little trick to my shifter (have to be shifting perfectly straight, it'll shift bad if I have something in the cup holder that puts my arm at an angle), I'm not bothered by it anymore.

I don't have a medical issue but I'm in the same boat mentally. I guess that means I'm not in a position to give advice but maybe you'll get some consolation knowing you're not alone lol. I do know that I'd be more willing if I had a lift. Going around all four corners, jacking it up, and laying on my back underneath the car have absolutely zero appeal to me right now.
Yeah, maybe feeling like absolute poo isn’t helping, lol. I don’t have any issues either with shifting believe it or not. Broke the factory clutch in 500+ miles and everything seems good on that end.

Knock on wood, but everything has been buttery smooth so far.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Of course only you can say if it's worth the effort. I would think the labor cost to have a shop do it would sting.

For me it started with no longer doing my own brake jobs. It was always my least favorite thing and having to stop and haul the rotors and drums to a shop to get turned just prolonged the pain.

Take solace in that there is no wrong answer here. At least most mods are more fun to work on.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course only you can say if it's worth the effort. I would think the labor cost to have a shop do it would sting. For me it started with no longer doing my own brake jobs. It was always my least favorite thing and having to stop and haul the rotors and drums to a shop to get turned just prolonged the pain.

Take solace in that there is no wrong answer here. At least most mods are more fun to work on.
I’m just hoping after the surgery I feel better and overall enjoy things more again.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's really what it's all about. Finding the little things that make us happy. Even if those things by necessity change over time.

Sounds like you've been toughing it out for a while already so you know the road ain't easy. Keep that determination going for your recovery, it does make a difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's really what it's all about. Finding the little things that make us happy. Even if those things by necessity change over time.

Sounds like you've been toughing it out for a while already so you know the road ain't easy. Keep that determination going for your recovery, it does make a difference.
6 surgeries in 3.5 years due to a gangrenous gallbladder that wasn’t detected on tests and almost killed me. It’s been rough but apparently I’m “resilient” hopefully lucky #7 is the last.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably has more to do with mental toughness. I think that is where resiliency comes from.
Sponsored

Last edited: