Sponsored

Key Fob and car storage question

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
Just put my car in storage today. Heated garage so i'm just going to car cover and put a battery tender on it.
My question is about the Key Fob. I need to leave the key fob in the center dash in case they would need to move it.
Is the car going to keep sensing it and kill the fob battery during storage?
Any other concerns?
Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I don't know about the Mustang, but in BMW world at work, if a car is equipped with comfort access and the key is too close by it keeps waking the module up due to sensing the key, and can prematurely drain the vehicle battery. I wouldn't worry about the key battery. And since you will have the vehicle on a tender you should be fine. My only concern when using a tender is trusting the tender to properly maintain and not over charge. So IMO a good battery tender is not one of the areas you discount shop.

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT 6MT, Ruby Red with Ceramic Interior
I would recommend that you look into a FOB pouch that will block the signal. As Redline727 mentioned your car will be sensing the key. Try an experiment and wrap your FOB in aluminum foil. Here is an example of a pouch.

http://www.fobguard.com

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Why are you putting the car in storage and not using it,are you in the military and being deployed, or are you going on a trip,for a short time you should be ok with the battery,when you get back take, it for a long road trip to make sure everything is ok.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would not leave the key in the car. Take it home.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I would recommend that you look into a FOB pouch that will block the signal. As Redline727 mentioned your car will be sensing the key. Try an experiment and wrap your FOB in aluminum foil. Here is an example of a pouch.

http://www.fobguard.com
Or maybe if you have an EZ Pass try the silver pouch they send with them. May block the signal with the key inside. And you won't have to spend any money.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
How much kayos would happen if you just took the battery out of the key fob? Whoever needed to move your car could do the R&R?
I have no idea, all this push button stuff is all new to me.

OP
OP
skistoy

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
Well, seeing I could not find any definite answers, I was able to remove my key fob and told the storage garage to call me if the car had to be moved and I would come back with it. But I would still love to find the correct answer.

pigdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium 6MT MM/Saddle
If I left the key fob out of the car but still at the storage facility, how far from the car does it need to be to not 'active' and drain the battery?
Sponsored